Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 27, 2013, 15:58 jdreyer

Ant wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 03:54:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 21:26:
Old electronics donít die, they pile up.

Don't I know it. I've got six old desktops and three old lap tops sitting in the corner...
Do they still work? What are their specifications?

Yeesh, I'm not even sure, but some of them are pretty old. I'll be combining some of the parts into a back up machine. Probably the newest one I'm getting rid of will be an old Dell: Pentium D, 2GB Ram, 250 GB hard drive. One of the laptops is a 10 year old Mac, while the other is an old pentium laptop, also close to 10 years old. Send me a PM, and I can answer questions more specifically.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 27, 2013, 09:09 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 21:45:
Really? Wow, they pay top dollar for used electronics here. I just got rid of a bunch of old electronics and made $50 on it, whereas my general scrap metal - of which I had about 10 times more only netted me like $5. And it's just getting going here. It's HUGE business in Japan right now. They're harvesting gold and all manner of rare metals out of used electronics. Sounds like it's a massive niche waiting to be filled in that case. Damn, if I had the capital I'd start that there in a heartbeat.

Who is "they" specifically ?

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 27, 2013, 08:50 HorrorScope

People have been harvesting old hw materials for decades now. This isn't a "just in" moment.  

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 27, 2013, 03:54 Ant

jdreyer wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 21:26:

Don't I know it. I've got six old desktops and three old lap tops sitting in the corner...
Do they still work? What are their specifications?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 27, 2013, 01:49 Cutter

Kosumo wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 23:10:
Lol, harvesting gold and other shit out of old eletronics can be hugely toxic and would require you to have to then deal with the toxic waste.

It's a third world type job where the labour is cheap and enviromental protection is low. imho.

Really? Tell that to Dowa a Japanese company doing it in Japan and pulling in 100 million a year. It can be done cheap and clean and there's no end to the e-waste.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 23:10 Kosumo

Lol, harvesting gold and other shit out of old eletronics can be hugely toxic and would require you to have to then deal with the toxic waste.

It's a third world type job where the labour is cheap and enviromental protection is low. imho.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 21:45 Cutter

Really? Wow, they pay top dollar for used electronics here. I just got rid of a bunch of old electronics and made $50 on it, whereas my general scrap metal - of which I had about 10 times more only netted me like $5. And it's just getting going here. It's HUGE business in Japan right now. They're harvesting gold and all manner of rare metals out of used electronics. Sounds like it's a massive niche waiting to be filled in that case. Damn, if I had the capital I'd start that there in a heartbeat.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 21:26 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo