Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Last Jungle In Sector 17 - When Indie Dream turns into Indie Reality- aka our Kickstarter disaster.
Right after the launch we sent out emails to 65 gaming news sites and posted announcements to 68 forums and to our twitter, facebook, steam, youtube and indiedb channels. The response was rather cold, we got 1 reply from the press (greenlitgaming.com) and many forums actually banned us for advertising. After 26 hours, we had managed to get 284 video views and 7 backers (5 of them within first hours after launch).

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

9. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2013, 13:24 hex863

It goes without saying that we were quite baffled and worried when seeing those results and itís where we learned the first hard truth about the industry - nobody really cared about another small indie game.

It irks me when people see broad conclusions in individual results. It only goes without saying that they learned a first hard truth about their own project - nobody really cared about their project via the marketing they used this time around. To conclude whether "the industry" cares about "another small indie game" requires looking at the stats on a host of equivalent games over time.

It seems to me the conclusion to be drawn here is one way not to market development of an indie game. I wouldn't look into it much more deeply than that.

(This is also, as far as I understand, not in any sense a "disaster". A disappointment, sure - a disaster, no. Doing anything worthwhile is hard; they need to learn from this and keep going if this is something they really care about.)

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2013, 13:39.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2013, 12:59 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 10:01:
Whenever I read stuff like this, I put down my own project for a few days and sulk.

Do you have a blog or something where we can check it out?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2013, 12:58 jdreyer

nin wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 09:58:
Meanwhile Awesomenauts made it's expansion funding in one week.

Well... not really comparable, IMO. The Awesomenauts expansion is an addition to an existing game by an established developer. This was a brand new game by a brand new developer.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2013, 12:44 Creston

and posted announcements to 68 forums

Major faux-pas. Nobody wants to see their forums turn into fucking craigslist.

5. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2013, 12:11 LittleMe

Yeah but try raising over $9000!

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

4. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2013, 10:19 Prez

I read the article, reviewed the project and played the demo, and honestly there is nothing remotely exciting about the game at all. Tiny scope, simplistic gameplay - I was bored before I even finished the demo. Then there's the issue of kickstarting a measely $5k - I tend to think that a game developer who can't even put together that tiny amount of capital need not be developing a game. Hell, I could raise $5000 in a few months delivering pizzas on the side.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

3. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2013, 10:01 NKD

Whenever I read stuff like this, I put down my own project for a few days and sulk.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

2. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2013, 09:58 nin

Meanwhile Awesomenauts made it's expansion funding in one week.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2013, 09:54 eRe4s3r

Or maybe the game itself was not very appealing? No video under media, screenshots that are non descriptive of gameplay....

Nmhnhmn, hope, kickstarters sell hope, not actual games.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo