Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 27, 2013, 04:38 Bob

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 16:34:
News sites comment sections. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Youtube too.

Including this one!

I kid I kid.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 19:39 ViRGE

PropheT wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 16:15:
The comments section on news sites isn't any different than YouTube anymore. Fox News already disabled their comments section a while ago from what I've read, and it wouldn't surprise me if CNN followed suit... reading the posts after virtually any article on CNN is like diving into a manure pit looking for gold.
Indeed. It's so bad these days that even extreme measures like blocking anons are no longer off the table. Trolls are ruining these comment systems, making them useless for everyone who wants to have a real discussion, so something has to be done. You'll lose a few good anon comments, which is unfortunate, but if it saves the comment system from being entirely worthless then it's a reasonable tradeoff at this point. Especially if it cuts down on the racism (my god the racism on the Internet is bad these days).

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 19:31 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 14:00:
And Amazon is stupid. Blowing off 30 million potential customers in Canada.

There's two warehouses in Canada, a comparable number per population as what exists in France, Germany, and Japan. Additionally, a good chunk of Canada is serviced by the network of fulfillment centers in the US as well. Seriously, there's not really any logical places to build another facility in Canada other than Quebec.

19. Re: Its Arithmetic Duh Aug 26, 2013, 19:28 Ceribaen

Tim Collins wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 10:19:
Chromecast + Plex = Local Streaming.....no reason to complain.

One of these days I need to get a Plex box properly up and running. Installed it, ran into some issue building the library I think... and then just got sidetracked by everything else (I think Arrested Development and Orange is the New Black on Netflix kept me entertained for a bit).

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 18:51 Julio

jdreyer wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 13:12:
While anonymity does breed trolls, it also breeds more accurate criticism and comments. I'm not going to post anything even slightly controversial using my real name b/c I don't want that history trail there when a current or future employer goes snooping. Forcing people to use their real names has a chilling effect as people self censor for this very reason.

Absolutely agree. It's not a great idea to force real name usage when employers are looking.

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 17:27  Blue 

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 17:23:
Verno wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 15:51:
Stop trying to derail threads with your agenda. They're banning anonymous comments, not "people who don't think left".

What agenda?

That's been explained to you repeatedly.

JFC how obtuse can one be?

Dunno, you are pretending to be quite so. You've already had your "last" warning about this. Stop it.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 17:23 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 15:51:
Stop trying to derail threads with your agenda. They're banning anonymous comments, not "people who don't think left".

What agenda? It's an opinion, I would think the majority of the anon post over there are likely conservatives to begin with since I don't know many conservative folks who are lining up in droves to make accounts for left leaning news sites do you?

JFC how obtuse can one be?

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 16:34 NegaDeath

News sites comment sections. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Youtube too.  

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 16:15 PropheT

Huffington Post to ban anonymous comments.

While anonymity does breed trolls, it also breeds more accurate criticism and comments.

If you can find them amidst the racism, sexism, personal attacks, off-topic rants, political injections into any story possible, and so on.

The comments section on news sites isn't any different than YouTube anymore. Fox News already disabled their comments section a while ago from what I've read, and it wouldn't surprise me if CNN followed suit... reading the posts after virtually any article on CNN is like diving into a manure pit looking for gold.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 16:01 Verno

mag wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 15:54:
I doubt HuffPo's switch will change much. Have you been around the Internet to the places that require Facebook logins to comment? People are willing to associate their names with some terrible things.

That's exactly why I don't think it will result in a big drop of traffic for them. I can see what they're going for but it won't work very well IMO.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 15:54 mag

I doubt HuffPo's switch will change much. Have you been around the Internet to the places that require Facebook logins to comment? People are willing to associate their names with some terrible things.

And even as libby-lib-lib as I tend to be, HuffPo is one of the worst sites on the internet. It's a disgusting celebrity gossip rag. You shouldn't be going there anyway.

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 15:51 Verno

10. removed Aug 26, 2013, 15:40 RollinThundr

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 26, 2013, 17:24.

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 14:38 Verno

Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 14:36:
Well, when they lose 90% of their traffic let's see how principled they are. I'm sure their staff would rather have trolls than being on unemployment.

Many sites have discontinued anonymous commenting without a huge loss of traffic so I have no idea how you arrived at that figure. I don't know how I feel about it personally but it's obvious they think they will ditch some loser traffic and make up the shortfall by attracting more overall eyeballs who won't be driven away by a toxic discussion.

and then it can be the liberal echo chamber they want to begin with.

Playing with fire.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2013, 15:06.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 14:36 Cutter

Verno wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 14:05:
Pfft at HuffPo. Yeah that'll last for all of a month. Watch people disappear from there in droves

That's the idea, they want the trolls gone.

Well, when they lose 90% of their traffic let's see how principled they are. I'm sure their staff would rather have trolls than being on unemployment.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. removed Aug 26, 2013, 14:20 RollinThundr

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 26, 2013, 17:23.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 14:09 Wowbagger_TIP

Huffington Post to ban anonymous comments.
While anonymity does breed trolls, it also breeds more accurate criticism and comments.
Unfortunately it breeds vastly more of the former than the latter.

That said, I agree about the need for anonymity. They just need a better system for moderating their forums.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 14:05 NKD

There's nothing worth reading in the comments of major news sites anyway. They should just disable comments altogether.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 14:05 Verno

Pfft at HuffPo. Yeah that'll last for all of a month. Watch people disappear from there in droves

That's the idea, they want the trolls gone.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 14:00 Cutter

Pfft at HuffPo. Yeah that'll last for all of a month. Watch people disappear from there in droves.

And Amazon is stupid. Blowing off 30 million potential customers in Canada.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo