Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 27, 2013, 11:17 Creston

Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 22:46:
Seriously, all you win8 bashers sound like a bunch of non tech savvy casual users who wouldn't know where to find the flippin' shutdown button if it was staring you in the face! haha! My win8 machine is so freakin' easy to use and performs better than any of their oses to date. Learn how to use a modern pc or just go back to your tablets! haha!

This would have been more effective if you'd ended with LOL.
Now you just sound shrill, as if you're desperately wanting people to believe it. Shriek it a little harder, maybe someone will take your word for it and buy Win 8, so you can feel validated.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 27, 2013, 05:39 Julio

Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 22:46:
all you win8 bashers sound like a bunch of non tech savvy casual users who wouldn't know where to find the flippin' shutdown button if it was staring you in the face! haha! My win8 machine is so freakin' easy to use and performs better than any of their oses to date. Learn how to use a modern pc or just go back to your tablets! haha!

Win 8 is for the casual user. How's your recent retirement going from Microsoft?

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 22:46 Steele Johnson

Verno wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 15:10:
I've actually found the opposite. Most of my tech related friends just disable Metro and move on. Most of the casuals can't find anything and end up frustrated. I've actually run into a few people who refuse to buy a PC anymore because of Windows 8, insisting on going with a Mac instead for some odd reason. It has a lot of Vista style stigma going on with the general public I've found.

Yeah, insist on going with Mac OSX which has its own set of frustrating interface issues that have ALWAYS been there.

Seriously, all you win8 bashers sound like a bunch of non tech savvy casual users who wouldn't know where to find the flippin' shutdown button if it was staring you in the face! haha! My win8 machine is so freakin' easy to use and performs better than any of their oses to date. Learn how to use a modern pc or just go back to your tablets! haha!

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 18:52 Julio

Just shows how clueless Ballmer was. Vista was one of his better failures. I'd put at least half a dozen things ahead of it.  

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 18:39 Aero

If you install Start8 or something like that, it's decent. I run it on my laptop because I only get so many licenses for each OS through work, and I like a lot of things about it. Metro is silly for desktop apps, of course. There also isn't any seriously compelling reason to use 8 (with Start8 or whatever) over 7. So, basically, if I already had Windows 8, I would pay the $5 for Start8, and be happy with it, but I definitely don't see any reason to upgrade from 7 to 8 other than the eventual forced obsolescence, which won't be for a while yet.

I actually think Surface Pro's running 8 are really nice, but given their price, they don't really fit into many reasonable use cases.

Anyways, it seems they were just playing it safe, being a jack of all trades sort of thing (aside from the unified Metro API not working out), in case everybody suddenly stopped buying desktops through the next business upgrade cycles. They got a start on any direction they need to go, which isn't to say this was even remotely a good idea, just what I guess they were thinking.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 15:10 Verno

I've actually found the opposite. Most of my tech related friends just disable Metro and move on. Most of the casuals can't find anything and end up frustrated. I've actually run into a few people who refuse to buy a PC anymore because of Windows 8, insisting on going with a Mac instead for some odd reason. It has a lot of Vista style stigma going on with the general public I've found.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 14:54 NegaDeath

In my limited personal experience I've found casuals seem to enjoy it and techies hate it.

I've also found casuals can't find everything they look for and call the techie for help. The casuals don't seem to mind that everything's been moved around because hey, pretty colors. We'll just call Steve!

The techies meanwhile hate MS for hiding all the cheese and increasing their friends and family tech support calls.

I'm on the techie side.

Again, my experience does not a statistic make.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 14:05 Cutter

Of course Ballmer got shitcanned. The Failbox 180 was the final straw that broke the camel's back. Shareholders have been wanting MS to dump the Failbox from the get go. And everyone who works there hates it.

'Hey everyone lookit me! I'm Steve Ballmer! The worst CEO of all time!'

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 13:19 jdreyer

Although I hate Win8, I have a coworker who just got a new laptop for work: Win 8 with a touch display. She loves it. So it does work for some people. I wonder what the statistics are hate vs. like.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 12:46 Creston

Verno wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 11:01:
I had a family friend bring me his Lenovo laptop insisting it was broken. He said it kept popping up things on the screen all the time and thought he had a virus. Turns out to be Metro popping up all the time because of laptop swipe gestures LOL.

I'll do you one better. I took a win8 laptop around my IT department and asked about a dozen people to shut it down (not with the power button, but the actual Windows shut down function.)

Only a few knew where to find it, and one managed to figure it out purely by accident. Everyone else gave up. These are people who've been working with Windows basically since pre Win95.

Great UI you got there, Ballmer.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 11:30 NegaDeath

nin wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 10:20:
Yep. From what I've read, the new Start button just takes you back to tabletville.

Penny Arcade sums up my feelings on that sufficiently.

It didn't have to be this way. They could have included a classic interface option like previous versions had. They could have had a far, far better tutorial for the new UI. They could have recognized that pissing off a large chunk of your userbase in order to try and trojan horse people into using your pads and phones is not a good idea. Too late.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2013, 11:37.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 11:01 Verno

I had a family friend bring me his Lenovo laptop insisting it was broken. He said it kept popping up things on the screen all the time and thought he had a virus. Turns out to be Metro popping up all the time because of laptop swipe gestures LOL.  

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 10:41 siapnar

nin wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 10:20:
Yep. From what I've read, the new Start button just takes you back to tabletville.
Yep, it's truly terrible.
Also, my roommate has never had as many issues with an OS, even Vista

I have projectile dysfunction.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 10:20 nin

Mean while 8 still seems to be insistent on forcing desktop users to use a GUI more suited to smartphones, tablets, and other touch-screens.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 10:16 Pigeon

I think Balmer's problem wasn't that Vista was terrible at launch, but more that they wasted a lot of development, time, and money on Longhorn, only to scrap most of it for Vista. Frankly I think win-8 is a bigger failure, Vista was eventually patched into functional and stable OS. Mean while 8 still seems to be insistent on forcing desktop users to use a GUI more suited to smartphones, tablets, and other touch-screens.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 09:54 Verno

He's got a healthy list to choose from:

- Surface (you aren't Apple, you need to sell at a loss idiots)
- A decade of failed mobile phone operating systems
- MSN Messenger
- Zune
- Failing to capitalize on early starts in smartphone and tablet markets by forcing Windows/Office onto them?
- Bing which has sucked up 17 billion without making a penny?
- Xbox which barely makes money and has failed to knock out two entrenched competitors
- Windows 8 was a non-starter
- Marginalizing desktop PC use through neglect
- Damaging relationships with OEMs

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo