Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 27, 2013, 12:09 siapnar

Let the 8 year old kid play a VERY mature rated video game and have a loaded gun within reach.
Brilliant.

Julio wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 18:57:
8 years old is old enough to know not to shoot the caregiver in the head with a real gun.
Yeah they make the 8 year old sound like he's 3 or 4 years old.

My little cousins knew right from wrong by 5 years, and I'm sure that involves not hurting people.
If the 8 year old kid is playing the game then he knows what a firearm does.
This kid's just a psycho.

I have projectile dysfunction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 23:16 jdreyer

jimnms wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 20:29:

Ultra realistic? Ucrazy Isn't GTA the biggest selling game franchise of all time? If it encourages violence, why aren't more gamers violent criminals?

Maybe b/c most of the players are older than 8 years old?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

21. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 22:05 SlimRam

A senseless murder by an 8 year old, in a Slaughter, Louisiana trailer park. There has GOT to be a country song in there somewhere...  

Slightly Off Movie Quotes:

Han Solo: Still, she's got a lot of spirit. I don't know, whaddya think? You think a princess and a guy like me...

Luke: No. If ANYONE is nailing my sister, it's going to be ME!

20. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 20:48 Sepharo

The FBI claimed to have dismantled Anonymous? They can't really be that dumb can they? Gotta be a ploy.  

19. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 20:29 jimnms

"Although a motive for the shooting is unknown at this time investigators have learned that the juvenile suspect was playing a video game on the Play Station III 'Grand Theft Auto IV,' a realistic game that has been associated with encouraging violence and awards points to players for killing people, just minutes before the homicide occurred."

Ultra realistic? Ucrazy Isn't GTA the biggest selling game franchise of all time? If it encourages violence, why aren't more gamers violent criminals?

Steam Profile

18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 20:27 shinchan0s

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 13:57:
Interesting that Mass is rated 1. I live in Mass, unless they only polled the colleges here I'm not sure how the IQ average is highest in the nation as there are plenty of idiots in this state who continue voting the same failures into office over and over. Deval Patrick, Mumbles Menino etc.

You know, there's always New Hampshire.

17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 20:11 CJ_Parker

NKD wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 19:27:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 17:30:
WTF was the caregiver thinking when she was doing going to work unarmed???? Darwin award candidate got what she deserved LOOOLZZZ

She wasn't unarmed, it was her gun. That's what makes it all the more stupid. It's not like she was unaware there was a loaded gun in the house. Of course being that she was like 90 years old maybe she was.

Really? Still a dumb bitch. Should of had an assault rifle for backup purposes in case someone turned her gun on her!!!

16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 19:27 NKD

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 17:30:
WTF was the caregiver thinking when she was doing going to work unarmed???? Darwin award candidate got what she deserved LOOOLZZZ

She wasn't unarmed, it was her gun. That's what makes it all the more stupid. It's not like she was unaware there was a loaded gun in the house. Of course being that she was like 90 years old maybe she was.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 18:57 Julio

I'd blame the kid, then the parenting, then the caregiver leaving the gun around. I'd blame videogames after even the gun manufacturer.

8 years old is old enough to know not to shoot the caregiver in the head with a real gun.

14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 17:30 CJ_Parker

WTF was the caregiver thinking when she was going to work unarmed???? Darwin award candidate got what she deserved LOOOLZZZ

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2013, 20:10.

13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 15:04 NegaDeath

People will always find a reason other than blaming parents. Banning things is easy, teaching people to not be complete fuckups at parenting is much harder. Just like with an individual it is much easier for society to just be a slacker instead of fixing faults. Toy guns, movies, cartoons, music, dryer lint, the Moon being in alignment with Jupiter, etc. Pick a decade and they all had their turn at being the bad guy.

Damn you dryer lint!

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2013, 15:31.

12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 14:59 jdreyer

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 13:57:

Interesting that Mass is rated 1. I live in Mass, unless they only polled the colleges here I'm not sure how the IQ average is highest in the nation as there are plenty of idiots in this state who continue voting the same failures into office over and over. Deval Patrick, Mumbles Menino etc.

It's you, dude. You singlehandedly raise the average.

11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 14:41 entr0py

That's crazy that in that article there are 11 paragraphs on violence in videogames, but not one on the prevalent danger of unsecured firearms in reach of children. Kids with access to guns will play with them. It's sad to say, but I'm glad it was the unbelievably negligent adult who got shot; more often kids end up shooting themselves or one of their friends.  

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 14:39 Prez

That gun injuries article Blue linked to serves to illustrate that your average "law-abiding citizen" is a moron.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 14:30 Axis

Don't we all like excuses. 100% parenting, period.  

Yours truly,

Axis

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 14:25 Alamar

I nearly lost my leg to a kid, about 8, with a gun...

Was while my family was visiting a friends family, and the other kid, and myself were playing in the basement... Not sure what I was doing, but he grabbed a gun, loaded it, and shot it near me (blew a ~6 inch hole in something right beside my leg).

Now, being about 30 years ago, gun safety awareness was much less than it is (should be) now...

My point, mostly, is that it doesn't matter if guns are loaded... 8 year olds have the dexterity to load them... As well as unlock them, if they know where the key is.

-Alaamr

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 14:15 Cutter

Yeah, bad parenting certainly wasn't the problem, right? 8 year old playing violent video games and playing with loaded firearms.

Remember what Walter Sobchak said, "8 year olds, Dude."

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 13:57 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 13:33:
RollinThundr wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 10:19:
Why was an 8 year old not only allowed access to a loaded firearm, but allowed to play a M rated game in the first place? Another case of lack of personal responsibility on the parents/caregiver, but hey lets blame guns or videogames.

Seriously, I totally agree. WTF is an 8 year old doing playing GTA4 in the first place? And with access to a loaded firearm? Total caregiving failure.

Louisiana is 49 out of 50 on IQ ranking though, so it's not a total shock.

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 13:33 jdreyer

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 10:19:
Why was an 8 year old not only allowed access to a loaded firearm, but allowed to play a M rated game in the first place? Another case of lack of personal responsibility on the parents/caregiver, but hey lets blame guns or videogames.

Seriously, I totally agree. WTF is an 8 year old doing playing GTA4 in the first place? And with access to a loaded firearm? Total caregiving failure.

Louisiana is 49 out of 50 on IQ ranking though, so it's not a total shock.

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 12:13 LittleMe

Milk that tragic event!! Milk it!  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo