Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's been increasingly difficult to close the hood on my car, as one latch or the other would fail to latch properly, something I blamed on age, as the old girl certainly has her share of wear issues after 13 years and 113K miles. Because I am constantly opening and closing it to disconnect the battery to prevent it from draining while sitting, today I decided to discard my assumption and looked closer, and sure enough there was something gumming up the works. This was mostly a peach-colored paste with what seemed to be insect bits in it, and it clung to everything it got on like glue, defying any sort of cleaning solvent until I tried something oil-based. I'm pretty sure the insect parts were from a bee or a wasp that got macerated in the latch because in cleaning bits off my fingers I suffered a slight sting, though thankfully there was only a trace of venom left in the stinger. After I finally de-gunked my hands I was able to fix up the latch quickly with some WD-40 and a toothbrush, and it worked like it's supposed to on the first try, so this seems that fixed things. Now I'm just stuck with my curiosity over whether the sticky stuff was bug guts, the start of a wasp hive, some unrelated plant matter, or what.

Sticky Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Last Legacy.
Links: I Have a Character Issue. By Anna "Skyler White" Gunn. Thanks nin.
New, Canon-Faithful Star Trek Series Is In Pre-Production.
Stories: Waste: The Dark Side of the New Coffee Craze. Not to mention bad coffee. Thanks Boing Boing.
Big cat has northeast Detroit neighborhood on edge (video). Thanks brother19.
Images: Summer in the City- Revisiting the Ultra-Cool ‘New York Look’ of 1969. Thanks Cutter.
Peter Dinklage + Super Mushroom = Hugh Laurie.
Media: Kevin Spacey Talks About the Future of Television.
The Funnies: Brevity.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2013, 11:16 nin

or not!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. removed Sep 9, 2013, 11:14 Reddogg1

GM Vehicle Care Grease
Lubriplate® was the original factory lubricant for hood and trunk latches, door hinges, power seat tracks, convertible top mechanisms, etc., etc. The whitish color provides the original appearance. Lubriplate® is a medium density grease type lubricant which has a high level of water resistance

(Restored after being mistakenly deleted)

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2013, 18:14.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 10:56 LanikTnt

I could use some more Trek too but it needs to be good. This is terrible.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2013, 12:00 RollinThundr

Kitkoan wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 16:41:
I love my single serve machine, so I seem a little out of the normal here... Granted I use a reusable metal cup, so I don't have all that extra waste (and a lot cheaper. Those cups at their cheapest I can find are. $0.50 each cup, not worth it since they don't taste as good from those plastic tubs)
The French press gives a better taste but in the morning, it's not as fast since I'm not a morning person.

Same, I don't know what I'd do without my trusty lil keurig.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2013, 18:58 Cutter

I use a french press. TAhe trick is just do boil the water and grind at the same time, dump it in and grab it after your shower. Whether I'm doing tea of coffee, first thing I always do when I get up is put the kettle on. I have a Capresso Kettle it's straight up gangsta' yo!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2013, 16:41 Kitkoan

I love my single serve machine, so I seem a little out of the normal here... Granted I use a reusable metal cup, so I don't have all that extra waste (and a lot cheaper. Those cups at their cheapest I can find are. $0.50 each cup, not worth it since they don't taste as good from those plastic tubs)
The French press gives a better taste but in the morning, it's not as fast since I'm not a morning person.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2013, 16:39 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 15:45:
As for "single serve coffee", I grind my coffee daily. That Keurigs crap is just that, crap. My six year actually decided he wanted to do it, so he did it for me this morning. Good coffee is not that hard people.
Its also possible to get a refillable keurig sized cup that you can put fresh ground coffee into.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2013, 15:45 jdreyer

Blue's story sounds like one of those movies where patient 0 gets infected with an alien parasite and it spreads creating a whole town of zombies from which our intrepid hero and his cute young sidekick must escape from. I guess if the zombie apocalypse starts in NY, we'll at least know the origin.

As for "single serve coffee", I grind my coffee daily. That Keurigs crap is just that, crap. My six year actually decided he wanted to do it, so he did it for me this morning. Good coffee is not that hard people.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2013, 15:36 Cutter

Silicon Avatar wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 14:17:
I could do with some more Star Trek.

CBS will have zero interest in it. This is evidenced by the unholy abortions that Lamebrams created. That's what they want now. Sex and action flix in space! Real Trek would be far too boring and intelligent for the vacuous ADD twitter console crowd.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2013, 15:32 Cutter

Prez wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 13:38:
I know it's early for American football talk, but Christ, can the Jets get any more screwed? What the hell was Ryan thinking putting his starter in during a meaningless game???? At least he could have put in the starting O-line, which apparently didn't do, leaving his supposed starter Sanchez protected by second and third stringers. W.T.F!?!?!

Well at least they can finally play Tebow. Oh wait!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2013, 15:27 Lit_Reflex001

That gunky stuff is tripping me out.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2013, 15:15 Armengar

My T reg merc E class is 15 years old with 245k miles and still sweet. Bit of rust at the back and the gears are not as smooth as they once were. Air con still works though  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2013, 15:13 Agent.X7

Ugh, those one cup coffee makers are awful in all ways imaginable. I do french press coffee every morning, and it's not THAT much work that I would drink shit coffee from a plastic cup instead.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2013, 14:39 Dev

Blue, you disconnect the battery every time? Dang thats gotta be a pain.
A quick google and sure enough, there's such a thing as a battery cut off switch:
amazon link

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2013, 14:17 Silicon Avatar

I could do with some more Star Trek.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2013, 13:38 Prez

I know it's early for American football talk, but Christ, can the Jets get any more screwed? What the hell was Ryan thinking putting his starter in during a meaningless game???? At least he could have put in the starting O-line, which apparently didn't do, leaving his supposed starter Sanchez protected by second and third stringers. W.T.F!?!?!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2013, 12:55 nin

New, Canon-Faithful Star Trek Series Is In Pre-Production.

Last week there were still rumors about a Worf series but it still seems like a long shot. Wish it would happen, as I'd love to go back to the Next Gen timeframe...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo