Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions

German site ESOHUB.de has word from Bethesda's Matt Firor that The Elder Scrolls Online will feature an in-game store, in spite of the recent announcement the game will feature subscriptions. In a mantra learned from F2P developers, he explains how this is a chance to buy things irrelevant to the actual game. The site is German, but the interview is offered as a video, so Matt explains this in English: "There won't be anything like 'bonus points,' but we'll have a shop to buy kind of fun stuff, and services too, like name changes and things like that. But it's not part of the core game. Like, anything in the core game is included in the subscription price." Thanks AusGamers via Reddit.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 28, 2013, 14:00 Verno

MyRealName wrote on Aug 24, 2013, 08:33:
Shocker. Hell I remember when TES would supposedly never enter the online arena. Times change, though the game stays the same (literally, in the case of TES; leveled lists, poor balance, poor player guidance, rehash settings, poor animation, fanatical hype...)

Agreed. I keep falling into the same patterns with Bethesda games. Marvel at the world, explore and enjoy it for about 5-10 hours then the game descends into clunky scripting, worse writing, tedious activities and poorly animated combat that is often completely imbalanced and unenjoyable. They really need new animators and some people to work on a new combat engine.

I get more fun out of modding the damned games than I do playing them.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 24, 2013, 08:33 MyRealName

Shocker. Hell I remember when TES would supposedly never enter the online arena. Times change, though the game stays the same (literally, in the case of TES; leveled lists, poor balance, poor player guidance, rehash settings, poor animation, fanatical hype...)

34. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 22:00 Beamer

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 21:36:
This will be the 1st and 2nd Chapters of a new Dummies Book---How to kill a franchise for Dummies. Chapter 1--add pay to play , Chapter 2-- add pay to play and an additional store as well.
Almost forgot Chapter 3--charge full retail price as a stand-a-lone game and then charge extra to play. LOL what a joke. The bigger joke is that there are a bunch of idiots that will pay for it.

Bye Bye.

It is impossible for this to kill the franchise. This is a fork, not a main release. It's an entirely separate studio.

If this was Elder Scrolls VI: Online, then sure. But it isn't. The Bureau won't kill X-COM, Civ Rev and Civ Online won't kill Civ, and this won't kill Elder Scrolls.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 21:47 Dev

Was anyone really surprised by this?  

32. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 21:36 Marvin T. Martian

This will be the 1st and 2nd Chapters of a new Dummies Book---How to kill a franchise for Dummies. Chapter 1--add pay to play , Chapter 2-- add pay to play and an additional store as well.
Almost forgot Chapter 3--charge full retail price as a stand-a-lone game and then charge extra to play. LOL what a joke. The bigger joke is that there are a bunch of idiots that will pay for it.

Bye Bye.

31. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 21:15 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 20:42:
I wonder how they ever survived with just selling SP RPG's. No money in that shit.

If Bleszinksi says it, it MUST be true!

30. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 20:54 Jivaro

I have decided to go the snob route on this one. I was hoping this would be a sub game instead of F2P. With the way people have gotten accustomed to customizing their Elder Scrolls games, I am sure a in-game store with vanity items will do well for them, so I don't mind that either.

If the game sucks I won't be playing it regardless of whether it has a sub or not.

29. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 20:42 HorrorScope

I wonder how they ever survived with just selling SP RPG's. No money in that shit.  

28. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 20:40 NewMaxx

J wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 09:49:
In before rioting

More like, in before "I told you so." Oh, btw...I told you so. (check the thread from the other day)

They'll probably go with a hybrid model across-the-board rather than the multi-scheme like I suggested, but I was still half accurate.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2013, 20:50.

27. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 20:05 Fletch

Oh, FFS.  

26. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 17:52 ColoradoHoudini

Wait... am i seeing this correctly?

" 60 dollar purchase price AND a subscription AND a cash shop. "

If that's true.. HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH nope!

25. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 17:04 NeOCidE

Two words Elder Scrolls Online.....Fuck Off!!  
Trent Reznor - Atticus Ross an incredible team.

24. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 15:48 Smellfinger

Gojo wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 10:12:
So? WoW has done this since day one, but it wasn't called micro transactions. You had to pay to change servers, change your name, you can now buy mounts and pets.
This sounds like the same thing to me.

Bullshit is bullshit regardless of how many assholes it comes out of.

23. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 15:22 Tim Collins

People are idiots, I mean actual idiots when it comes to MATH, subscriptions work, its called revenue, its easier to have a recurring charge then it is to make a sale, micro transactions are a decision to buy, subscription is a decision to KEEP paying..

This is an attemp to maximise profits and the fact that everybody else is including microtranactions I think is the reason why they are being included here...imagine going to your shareholders or even better your shareholders going ...."ya....every online game has micro-trans now why doesen't this game, arn't you suppose to make us as much money as possible" and giving a response that dosen't get u laughed at.

As a 30 year old gamer these are battles that need to be won now so that the young generation dosen't get plowed over till were all drones like in the Matrix....

F microtransation.....F anything that does anything that detracts from a game in terms of enjoyability and signals to the GAMER in a obvious manner that this is nothing but a money grab.

22. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 14:41 Fion

A monthly fee and microtransactions for what is essentially a non-MMOG? For those that don't know it works largely like Neverwinter. There's a hub area where people hang out, craft, go to merchants, join PvP, etc but when you want to do some of the content you go to an instanced area designed for solo or small teams. Only Neverwinter had the wherewithal to go F2P as they knew a P2P/Microtransaction system would have failed outright.

Maybe Zenimax things the name alone will carry their 'almost' MMOG. But they clearly haven't learned from Bioware's mistakes.

Fail.

Edit: I agree we need another Fallout before an Elder Scrolls. But frankly I wasn't very happy with Fallout 3. I felt Bethesda had largely dropped the ball on that one. It was a solid game but I felt more like I was playing Elder Scrolls: Wasteland and less like I was playing Fallout. IMHO Fallout: New Vegas was significantly better, so I'd rather see Fallout 4 from that team.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2013, 14:53.

21. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 13:30 Wallshadows

These are the guys who pioneered Pony Armor so I'm not exactly surprised.  

20. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 12:38 Quinn

When I read this news, I actually heard myself screaming "Noooooooo!" in my head.

Microtransactions T_T

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

19. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 11:24 NKD

aesir05 wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 11:10:
InBlack wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 10:16:

Yeah and we all know how WoW clones fare...

You'd think that people would get the hint by now

I found this image showing subscriptions for some mmos

With stuff on the horizon changing things up a bit, I think developers are finally getting it through their heads that they can't keep making the same fucking game for the same fucking people.

I mean how many failures-to-thrive does it take for developers to understand that the WoW model is DEAD. Even WoW, which is still ten times better than any of its clones, is 33% off its peak population, but its competitors aren't faring any better.Where are those people going if not to the competition? They are leaving MMOs because there are sick of the same damn model every time. You can get someones attention with a fresh coat of paint, but you can't keep them around once they discover your gameplay is no more satisfying than the game you were just playing.

SWTOR showed us that even a great IP can't capture peoples attention for long if the gameplay isn't there. SWTOR was an incredibly shallow game because they wasted all their time and money on story crap and let it hamstring their development process.

Developers need to start innovating for the sake of innovation. Players will try your game, enjoy the fresh ideas, and tell their friends. Sure, they'll be skeptical at first, as they should be. But that's no reason not to try something new. Someone posted something on another forum the other day. A quote falsely attributed to Henry Ford, yet still rings true:

"If I had asked the people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."

Sometimes you have to make new things so that people can discover new things they enjoy. It's like making someone their favorite food for dinner every night. They will quickly get sick of it, even though they are still telling everyone it's their favorite food.

Unfortunately Zenimax didn't catch on to this yet.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

18. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 11:16 Creston

InBlack wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 09:53:
Hehehe, yeah incoming clusterfuck of epic proportions. Well I for one welcome the demise of this game, as that will only mean we get a new single player Elder Scrolls much sooner rather than later....

Single player Elder Scrolls has nothing to do with this. It's a completely different studio, and nobody at Bethesda is insane enough to delay the next iteration of a series where number 5 has been in the Steam top ten for coming up on two years running.

So no need to worry about that.

17. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 11:14 Julio

Somebody needs to tell them, it's a subscription or F2P not both. Maybe they can include a free coupon for lube in the deal.  

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo