Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders

Indie game developer Greenheart Games announces Game Dev Tycoon is coming to Steam for Windows and OS X on August 29th. The game originally launched on the Windows 8 marketplace, and them jumping off that gravy train may be a meta-lesson for would-be game developers. The Steam Store is now accepting pre-purchases of the game, offering a 20% discount through the first week of availability. The game can also be purchased directly from Greenheart Games, where they also offer playable demos for Windows, OS X, and Linux. Here's a new trailer and here's word:

The game, which was initially launched on the Windows 8 Store in December 2012, was successfully re-released on Greenheart Games’ website in early 2013, and received praise from both critics and fans alike. The developers were most recently discussed worldwide when they purposely uploaded a cracked build of their game that had players' studios failing due to piracy (causing hilarious and sad results). Game Dev Tycoon, which was updated for this release to respond to player feedback, will soon be available on Steam with a launch price of $7.99 (USD), 20% off the normal Steam price of $9.99.

In Game Dev Tycoon, players get to start their own game development company and play through the history of game development. Players will start their humble business in a garage in the 1980s. As they research new technologies, create best selling games, hire and train staff they will grow their business and their impact on the industry. Players get the ability to make their own virtual games, choose the genre and what platform to release on. As they grow they will get opportunities to move into bigger offices and unlock secret labs, become the leader of the market and gain worldwide fans.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 17:42 SpectralMeat

What was that other game for the PC where you've had to develop games and stuff similar to this.
It was released not so long ago.

By the way I've watched about half of that TotalBiscuit video and I thought the gameplay looked fun.
If they would give away so much in the game reviews and stuff it would be way too easy to master the game imo.
It's random nature makes it fun, or frustrating if you strike some bad luck.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2013, 18:04.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 15:30 goatee21

The game is not bad at all, I thought it was fun! Not bad for 7 bucks at all if you like sim type games. I wish the reviews in game were more in depth but over all it's got some neat features and is enjoyable.  

14. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 15:27 jdreyer

I'm definitely split on this game. On the one hand I hate the Zynga model. On the other hand these guys are making a game available in a market where it otherwise would not have been. Nor are they competing directly with the original game for sales. So I guess on the whole I support this more than not.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 14:55 Undih

This game is just horrible, so many features missing that would have made it soo good.  

12. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 13:47 Verno

Quboid wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 12:52:
Yes, yes it is. This wasn't an accident. This wasn't something that so desperately needed a PC release that gosh darn it all if they just couldn't help themselves.

The developers deliberately (I suspect) copied GDS and released it on a platform where it wouldn't have to compete with the real thing. That's almost definitely legal and quite possibly good business, but it's still shitty behaviour.

Agreed, I will not be getting this as a result. Way too many similarities, feels like a Zynga game or something.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

11. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 13:21 eRe4s3r

Indeed Shitty behavior but can you blame them? They did us english PC Gamers a service that the original developers did not.  

10. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 12:52 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 12:45:
Gadzooks wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 12:35:
This seems like a blatant and cheap rip off of the popular pixel based mobile game Game Dev Story
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Dev_Story

Kairosoft makes a bunch of pixel based games that feature similar gameplay. Game Dev Story was one of their first and most popular games.

One is only available on iPhone and Android.. the other on PC. It ain't the fault of the 2nd game that the 1st game was made by a bunch of people who ignored the calls for a PC version.

Yes, yes it is. This wasn't an accident. This wasn't something that so desperately needed a PC release that gosh darn it all if they just couldn't help themselves.

The developers deliberately (I suspect) copied GDS and released it on a platform where it wouldn't have to compete with the real thing. That's almost definitely legal and quite possibly good business, but it's still shitty behaviour.

- Quboid

9. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 12:45 eRe4s3r

Gadzooks wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 12:35:
This seems like a blatant and cheap rip off of the popular pixel based mobile game Game Dev Story

Kairosoft makes a bunch of pixel based games that feature similar gameplay. Game Dev Story was one of their first and most popular games.

One is only available on iPhone and Android.. the other on PC. It ain't the fault of the 2nd game that the 1st game was made by a bunch of people who ignored the calls for a (English/Translated) PC version.

And yeah, I know the dev story game has a PC version, the problem is that it might as well not exist since it's all Japanese and no fan translations are around

8. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 12:35 Gadzooks

7. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 12:05 Quboid

TotalBiscuit previewed this and didn't seem wildly impressed. I'd cut them a lot more slack if it wasn't essentially a clone of Game Dev Story from Kiarosoft. It's not a pixel by pixel clone but it's too similar for it to get away with claiming that it's just genre tropes IMHO.  

- Quboid

6. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 11:51 SpectralMeat

I'll give the demo a try, it looks interesting from this video  

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 11:28 Julio

Interesting concept, also appears to be available direct from the developers for those of us who aren't fans of Steam.  

4. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 11:24 nin

gilly775 wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 11:19:
nin wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 10:33:
I've only seen a few let's play videos on it, but it looks really fun. I do worry about what appears to be (at least in earlier versions) some randomness on game scores...

It's really all based on how you put genres together with technology, like how sports games go well with consoles. There are guides out there that show you the best combinations for your games.

As long as there's a method to the madness, and it can be explained, I'm totally psyched to play it.

Years and years ago, I remember playing some sort of txt based moviemaking game (believe it was a friends C64) where you picked your actors and genres, and then your movies were rated and you saw the reviews. It was fun (as a kid), and this reminds me a lot of that, in a good way...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 11:19 gilly775

nin wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 10:33:
I've only seen a few let's play videos on it, but it looks really fun. I do worry about what appears to be (at least in earlier versions) some randomness on game scores...

It's really all based on how you put genres together with technology, like how sports games go well with consoles. There are guides out there that show you the best combinations for your games.

2. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 10:33 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 10:30 Ventura

And... yes, their update says they still intend on providing Steam keys to existing owners.

Cool, looking forward to giving it another whirl in a few days

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo