Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Ben Affleck Is Batman (thanks nin). Really? I'm not feeling this. I like Ben and all, but he was a pretty crappy Daredevil, and I love Marvel and all, but DD is the B-list Batman. I think we've seen that these superhero movies tend to do better with unknowns, too. All-in-all, a weird choice.

Weird Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Mass Mayhem 2099 AD.
VoDoCI.
Links: 30 Great Movie In-Jokes You Probably Didnt Notice. You probably actually did.
Stories: A "Rambo" TV Series Coming With Stallone.
Dentist Wants to Clone John Lennon Using DNA Extracted from a Tooth. Thanks Slashdot.
Science: Computer can read letters directly from the brain.
Investigation reveals birds on roads adapt to speed limits. Not for George.
How sleep helps brain learn motor task.
Blimey! An Epic History of Britain As Shown Through Lego. Thanks brother19.
Media: Flula Does Terrible Yet Brilliant Recap Of Game of Thrones.
Russian Navy Hovercraft Lands on Busy Beach.
Follow-up: Toxic nanoparticles might be entering human food supply, study finds.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:33 LesCaster

To be fair though a good script goes a long ways to making or breaking superhero movies regardless of acting caliber, something that Val Kilmer and George Clooney are painfully aware of.

Reminded me of this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rF_MDb03dA

I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:29 Creston

nin wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 10:17:
Holy shit, hell froze over!

From the link:

There is never a perfect time for this type of transition, but now is the right time.

"Twelve years ago would have been better, of course."

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:27 nin

Creston wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 11:25:
Ben Affleck? Talk about scraping the bottom of the fucking barrel.

And after the success of Argo (both directing and his role), you know he didn't come cheap, either.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:26 Darks

Verno wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 11:21:
I've seen him do bit parts in various things over the years and while he's certainly the part physically I don't think he has the acting chops to pull off a decent Batman. It's a demanding role that's harder to cast than people realize. He needs to headline a few smaller studio films, a bad go in a big franchise like Batman can be a potential career killer.

While what you are saying is true, Henry Cavill is pretty much an unknown actor too. This is how people get the big parts and end up being big actors. There have been many movies over the years that have used this same philosophy when filling out parts. I think the guy could pull it off.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:25 Creston

Ben Affleck? Talk about scraping the bottom of the fucking barrel.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:21 Verno

I've seen Scott Adkins do bit parts in various things over the years and while he's certainly the part physically I don't think he has the acting chops (or at least has never really demonstrated the ability) to pull off a decent Batman. It's a demanding role that's harder to cast than people realize. He needs to headline a few smaller studio films in a non-martial arts capacity, a bad go in a big franchise like Batman can be a potential career killer. He did some work with Sony before and they're a decent fit for character pieces, hopefully his agent can find him something.

To be fair though a good script goes a long ways to making or breaking superhero movies regardless of acting caliber, something that Val Kilmer and George Clooney are painfully aware of.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:15 Darks

InBlack wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 10:46:
Darks wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 10:15:
DC has lost their minds; there was really only one good choice for the new Batman. Scott Adkins. The guy is a martial arts extremist. Batman is all about martial arts. Sorry, but Affleck is not Batman. He could never portray what Adkins could do on the screen as Batman, and Adkins does all of his own stunts.

This is the guy who was in the first Wolverine movie Fighting wolverine and saber tooth on top of the cooling tower.

Hes also done a lot of other movies including Expendables 2 as JCVD right hand man.

There was a movement to get Warner to try him out. Apparently they are all idiots to overlook this guy, because all they did was go for the big named actor over the right choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzwJIFCNdGU

I watched Expendables 2 (oh the horror) and I didnt even notice this guys existence in the movie. So why would someone entirely forgettable be a good choice to act in a very demanding and interesting role?

First off Black, his part in that movie was not very big. Try watching some of his other movies like the Undisputed 2 and 3. You will then see the guys real potential. Youre basing your opinion off one movie. Give me a break!

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:05 Verno

So Steve Ballmer is retiring within a year, shares just surged on the news. About damned time, his various failures over the years have cost the company position in several important markets and their new CAL crap with Server 2012 is pissing off their old revenue mainstays.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:04 Jivaro

Not a horrible enough choice for me to rant, not a good enough choice for me to cheer. Just going to hope for the best and prepare for the worst...just like every other Ben Affleck movie ever made. He has a tendency to hit it out of the park or completely bomb. Superhero movies tend to do the same, generally speaking.

edit: and I agree, Keaton has been the best Batman. Like Gary Oldman, Keaton is an amazing character actor. As a side note, did you know he was the voice of "Ken" in Toy Story 3? For some reason I find that amusing.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 10:47 Ratty

nin wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 09:33:
Then again, I was one of the folks shaking my head when Michael Keaton was cast, and he turned out excellent.
Yeah, me too. Beetlejuice as Batman? WTF! But he turned out great. I am willing to be surprised by Affleck.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 10:46 InBlack

Darks wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 10:15:
DC has lost their minds; there was really only one good choice for the new Batman. Scott Adkins. The guy is a martial arts extremist. Batman is all about martial arts. Sorry, but Affleck is not Batman. He could never portray what Adkins could do on the screen as Batman, and Adkins does all of his own stunts.

This is the guy who was in the first Wolverine movie Fighting wolverine and saber tooth on top of the cooling tower.

Hes also done a lot of other movies including Expendables 2 as JCVD right hand man.

There was a movement to get Warner to try him out. Apparently they are all idiots to overlook this guy, because all they did was go for the big named actor over the right choice.

I watched Expendables 2 (oh the horror) and I didnt even notice this guys existence in the movie. So why would someone entirely forgettable be a good choice to act in a very demanding and interesting role?

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 10:20 xXBatmanXx

Ben as batman = no thanks.

The movie won't do that well. he is an idiot. Terrible actor. I wonder if he will do his hunch over talk while he is Wayne.....ugh, can't stand Ben. Just as bad as Clooney with his head down/hunched over, I am on ER look. (does the same MO in all the Oceans movie - he is such a bad actor with TERRIBLE body language).

The nice thing about Keaton is he played both roles pretty damn close to how they are supposed to be portrayed. Played the best Bruce Wayne to date. Rich, acting dumb (puts the pen in the plant, etc) but a convincing Batman. Bale for some reason turned down 50MM to not do his scratchy voice, but yet he did a pretty good job in general. We need not talk about anyone else.....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 10:17 nin

Holy shit, hell froze over!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 10:15 Darks

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 10:14 LesCaster

Personally, I think I've reached a saturation point with superhero movies. They've become to film what WWII became to FPSs.

I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 10:06 InBlack

Blue wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 09:38:
In Affleck, I see neither. Then again, I was one of the folks shaking my head when Michael Keaton was cast, and he turned out excellent.

I have a better track record in this regard, as I was very enthusiastic about Keaton, not because he looked like either Bruce Wayne or his alter-ego, but because of how well he played characters who were slightly unhinged. Affleck's fallback style seems to be to play characters that lack depth.

I think he'd actually be far better suited to play Superman (which he sort of did in that George Reeves biopic).

Keaton was the best Batman IMO. As far as Affleck is concerned I just dont see it. He is a fair director and writer, you have to give him that but as an actor he is average at best. Also Ive yet so see a role he did where he didnt basically play himself. Even though I hated Bale's terrible fuckin lisp, he is a great actor and really immersed himself in the role....I dunno. Strange choice indeed.

Well, at least we dont have to listen to that horrible lisp anymore.

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 10:04 Raven

DD is the B-list Red Batman

Fixed that for you.

Daredevil #24

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 09:52 Verno

Keaton was pretty chilling in Pacific Heights and I've always liked his Wayne/Batman, he's more subtle and nuanced than Bale's uneven performances.

I am having trouble seeing Ben Affleck in the role, he doesn't seem like he has the intensity to play it straight. I'm not even sure how you make a Batman vs Superman movie without completely marginalizing Superman's powers with convenient plot devices.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 09:38  Blue 

In Affleck, I see neither. Then again, I was one of the folks shaking my head when Michael Keaton was cast, and he turned out excellent.

I have a better track record in this regard, as I was very enthusiastic about Keaton, not because he looked like either Bruce Wayne or his alter-ego, but because of how well he played characters who were slightly unhinged. Affleck's fallback style seems to be to play characters that lack depth.

I think he'd actually be far better suited to play Superman (which he sort of did in that George Reeves biopic).

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 09:33 nin

There was a list awhile back about Batman candidates, and it basically boiled down to "people that would look good at Batman, but not as Bruce Wayne" (Josh Brolin), and vice versa, with people that cold play a good Wayne, but a questionable Batman.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo