Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Ben Affleck Is Batman (thanks nin). Really? I'm not feeling this. I like Ben and all, but he was a pretty crappy Daredevil, and I love Marvel and all, but DD is the B-list Batman. I think we've seen that these superhero movies tend to do better with unknowns, too. All-in-all, a weird choice.

Weird Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Mass Mayhem 2099 AD.
VoDoCI.
Links: 30 Great Movie In-Jokes You Probably Didnít Notice. You probably actually did.
Stories: A "Rambo" TV Series Coming With Stallone.
Dentist Wants to Clone John Lennon Using DNA Extracted from a Tooth. Thanks Slashdot.
Science: Computer can read letters directly from the brain.
Investigation reveals birds on roads adapt to speed limits. Not for George.
How sleep helps brain learn motor task.
Blimey! An Epic History of Britain As Shown Through Lego. Thanks brother19.
Media: Flula Does Terrible Yet Brilliant Recap Of Game of Thrones.
Russian Navy Hovercraft Lands on Busy Beach.
Follow-up: Toxic nanoparticles might be entering human food supply, study finds.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 19:55 Mr. Tact

Yeah, Affleck wouldn't have been my first choice, but I'm willing to wait and see his performance before deciding. But the last three films were so good I rather that they would have waited a bit longer before doing another Batman movie.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 17:16 Julio

I'm not very excited about Batman vs other superheroes, especially with casting choices like this.  

38. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 17:15 Ratty

Just saw this on Wired:

Maybe We Should Wait to See Ben Affleck Play Batman Before Deciding He Sucks
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/08/ben-affleck-batman-2

37. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 16:04 nin

1badmf wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 15:05:
if they do anymore indiana jones movies, i think cooper should take the role, esp. if they decide to go with indy's son. just move the timeline along a few years, skip shia ledouche, and rejoin with cooper as mutt in his 30s.

Only if George Lucas' grubby little paws aren't allowed to touch it!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

36. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 15:05 1badmf

if they do anymore indiana jones movies, i think cooper should take the role, esp. if they decide to go with indy's son. just move the timeline along a few years, skip shia ledouche, and rejoin with cooper as mutt in his 30s.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 15:02 jdreyer

Russian Navy Hovercraft Lands on Busy Beach.

That's kind of crazy. I guess Russian sailors need R & R too.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

34. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 14:45 Verno

I remember when he was just an annoying douche in Alias Actually that description fits most of the characters in that show.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

33. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 14:33 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 13:47:
If I were to go with a lesser-known actor, I would have gone with Bradley Cooper.

Every female in the known universe takes offense at you portraying Bradley Cooper as "lesser-known."

32. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 13:55 nin

although at 41 he's a bit old to be starting a franchise with

They're supposed to be raping Dark Knight Returns (using it as a jumping off point), which featured an older Wayne/Batman...actually a bit older than Affleck.

And that's a good point about Cooper. He really impressed me in SLP.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 13:47 jdreyer

Well, it seems like they're just going for a Brand Name with Affleck, although at 41 he's a bit old to be starting a franchise with. He's not bad, but he's not inspiring either.

As far as unknowns, the comparison with Cavill is not really fair, since Batman is a much more difficult and nuanced character to play. You'd need someone with a more proven track record. I wonder why they didn't go with Joseph Gordon Levitt, since he's a fantastic actor and (spoiler) Bale gave him the Batcave at the end of Dark Knight Rises.

If I were to go with a lesser-known actor, I would have gone with Bradley Cooper. He's got the millionaire playboy look down pat. He's got the physicality. And he's proven he's got the chops to play a psychologically wounded superhero after his performance in Silver Linings Playbook.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

30. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 13:12 dj LiTh

Wow....so i'm going against the blue grain here it seems. Keaton wasnt even passable as batman, jack saved the show. All the others excluding bale were even worse. Although i almost think it comes down to directors and how it was portrayed but even then keaton just doesnt convince me of...well....anything! His comedy is great, other then that he's a dud IMHO. Bale acted his ass off, i really respect him as an actor. Anyone that can go from bulked up 180 pounds in equilibrium to 110pounds in The Machinest to a ripped 180pounds in batman in the span of a few years gains my respect not just for acting but as a human being. Keaton was as flabby as i am right now in his role as batman.

As for Aflec, i'm done with batman, its finished in my mind. I dont want to see Batman vs Superman vs wtf'ever. The cows dead, stop milking it. So as for him being chosen for the role i dont think it matters as this is a giant flop in the making. I agree with others that he's a good director, and when he acts its great, and when he doesnt its horrendous. I'm guessing it'll be the latter in this case. This is a clear case of hollywood trying to draw blood from the stone

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 12:53 Acleacius

Guess I'm in the minority, I didn't like Argo at all. Nothing personal against Affleck but his acting has never been convincing to me. No idea why he keeps getting super hero parts

Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 11:48:
Question is, are they going to be stupid and keep trying to compete in hardware with Apple, Sony, et al. Or will they be smart and go back to their core competencies?
stupid is as stupid does, and stupid does do.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2013, 12:58.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 12:28 Agent.X7

I'm Batman. I have no respect for people with no shopping agenda.

You see, Bruce, I like to pick up girls on the rebound from a disappointing relationship. They're more vulnerable and in much more need of solace and they're fairly open to suggestion. And, I use that to fuck them some place very uncomfortable.

Affleck works for me because I A) Don't even really like Batman, so whatever. and B) I like him in movies.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:56 Creston

That's why I said 99.9%. It seems about right that we get 1 good movie for every 999 pieces of shit.  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:55 Verno

Creston wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 11:49:
I like him as a director, I think he makes pretty good movies, he just can't act for shit. Then again, Batman is a one-note character anyway, so it probably doesn't matter much.

They should change the name Hollywood to Rebootsia. Since that's all they're capable of anymore. Watching my dogs take a shit is more creative than 99.9% of all the fucking drivel that comes out of Rebootsia.

I don't know, I'll sit through a lot of dumb shit Hollywood movies to get a good movie. Without some of Sonys big name horseshit I wouldn't get films like Take Shelter for example. You're right though, these days they are definitely focusing more on big name dreck and reboots/sequels. The model of big names financing the smaller films at studios seems to be on the way out.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:52 Creston

Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 11:48:
I've always liked Affleck but yeah, there would literally be about a million better choices than him for Batman.

And I would so love to be a fly on the boardroom wall at MS. Was Ballmer forced out do you think? I think he was. Shareholders have been complaining long and loud for years to get rid of him, and the Failbox 180 seems like it was the final straw that broke the camel's back.

Question is, are they going to be stupid and keep trying to compete in hardware with Apple, Sony, et al. Or will they be smart and go back to their core competencies?

I think if the shareholders had the power to oust him, they would have done so long ago. Don't forget that Ballmer holds billions of shares of MS, along with Gates, so the rest probably couldn never get a large enough coalition together to oust him.

I think a good, smart CEO will get MS to focus on where their bread and butter is, and will just kill off all these bullshit products. If they focus on Windows (and not the mongreloid hybrid Windows 8, but a genuine Enterprise Windows), Office, Azure and then probably the Failbox 180, their profit margins would become utterly obscene, and I can see them rising back to the absolute top.

If instead they get a CEO who continues on this failboat path of "let's just buy some random shit and try to shoehorn our incompetent ass into markets that we have no business being in", they will continue to slide into eventual irrelevance.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:49 Creston

nin wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 11:27:
Creston wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 11:25:
Ben Affleck? Talk about scraping the bottom of the fucking barrel.

And after the success of Argo (both directing and his role), you know he didn't come cheap, either.

I like him as a director, I think he makes pretty good movies, he just can't act for shit. Then again, Batman is a one-note character anyway, so it probably doesn't matter much.

They should change the name Hollywood to Rebootsia. Since that's all they're capable of anymore. Watching my dogs take a shit is more creative than 99.9% of all the fucking drivel that comes out of Rebootsia.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:48 Cutter

I've always liked Affleck but yeah, there would literally be about a million better choices than him for Batman.

And I would so love to be a fly on the boardroom wall at MS. Was Ballmer forced out do you think? I think he was. Shareholders have been complaining long and loud for years to get rid of him, and the Failbox 180 seems like it was the final straw that broke the camel's back.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadÖ Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:47 Creston

nin wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 11:39:
and imagined the next line as "I could seriously throw a fucking chair at fucking google right now."

"Or Sony. Goddamn they made me eat a metric fuckton of crow! FUCK SONY! I WILL FUCKING KILL SONY!" *rant rant rant rant rant rant sweat sweat sweat heart attack*

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:39 nin

Creston wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 11:29:
nin wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 10:17:
Holy shit, hell froze over!

From the link:

There is never a perfect time for this type of transition, but now is the right time.

"Twelve years ago would have been better, of course."

Yeah, I laughed at that quote, too. I also saw the line:
"This is an emotional and difficult thing for me to do."

and imagined the next line as "I could seriously throw a fucking chair at fucking google right now."

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo