Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Delayed Again

DayZ creator Dean Hall spoke with Joystiq at Gamescom, explaining that the upcoming standalone version of DayZ no longer has a set release window, in spite of initial plans to release the game last year and his statement just two months ago that they had pinned down the game's release to a specific week (thanks nin). Hall explains that progress on Bohemia Interactive's survival/horror game is held up waiting for changes to the game's core network architecture. "That's the kind of thing only a few people can work on. It's very specialized," he tells them. "It's like, you can't throw more pilots at a plane. You put a thousand pilots in a plane it's not going to fly any faster." As the market continues to flood with zombie games, he optimistically explains that the best thing that can happen to this project is to lower the level of anticipation:

"If most of the community who maybe thought DayZ was cool a year ago and now they think it's lame, I think that's probably good for us. We don't need to sell that many copies to break-even. We want to be a hardcore game and I think if we make a good game people will come back."

He concluded, "The worst thing we could do would be to release too early. Flat out, that's the stupidest thing we could do. [The alpha launch] is going to be riddled with bugs, but the one thing I don't want it to be riddled with is terrible multiplayer, it's a multiplayer game."

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

11. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 12:24 Prez

I don't read all of the interviews, but do these guys ever admit that they underestimated just how much bigger of an undertaking creating a whole game is as compared to creating a mod for an existing one? It seems to me like this could be a case of them biting off more than they can chew with the standalone project thing.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2013, 12:33.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 11:43 J

Hold on. I know it's around here somewhere...

I'll be right back once I've found my surprised look. I swear it can't be too far away.

9. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 11:34 MajorD

Creston wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 11:09:
We don't need to sell that many copies to break-even

But the longer you wait in releasing it, the more copies you need to sell, and the less interest there will be.

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts as well. I put a lot of hours into DayZ, and enjoyed it a lot, but it eventually fizzled out for me. I'll still consider the stand alone version, but it sure won't be a 'DayZ One' purchase for me.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2013, 11:44.

8. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 11:27 Reactor

Creston wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 11:09:

But the longer you wait in releasing it, the more copies you need to sell, and the less interest there will be. It just seems weird that a mod that one guy worked on was so cool to so many people, to the extent that they gladly forked over the 20+ bucks for Arma2, and now that they're working on a stand-alone version, they just can't get it out the door?

I'm thinking some massive feature creep has set in.

OR, it's as they say- the core network code is rubbish and they want to rewrite it.

7. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 11:09 Creston

But the longer you wait in releasing it, the more copies you need to sell, and the less interest there will be. It just seems weird that a mod that one guy worked on was so cool to so many people, to the extent that they gladly forked over the 20+ bucks for Arma2, and now that they're working on a stand-alone version, they just can't get it out the door?

I'm thinking some massive feature creep has set in.

6. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 10:51 Primalchrome

mch wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 09:48:
DelayZ? No? I'll see myself out.

I was interested in the original mod but never pulled the trigger on ARMA II because of the supposed bugs.

DelayZ...love it! I'm one of those that plunked down the cash for ARMA II just to play DayZ. I regret every cent. It was horribly buggy and the underlying ARMA platform just feels....I don't know...poorly thrown together. It made for an interesting, if not frustrating experience overall. I love the concept and really want a hardcore survival game like this, but preferably one built by a dev that really wants a solid release product. Before I pick this one up, there will be much digging in forums to get through all the fanboy bullshite and find out what people's actual experiences are.

5. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 10:51 JayDeath

Whatever. I'm still playing and having fun with the mod. I have over hours 500 hours logged with this mod. I will gladly buy a more polished stand alone.  
Steam: Henry Krinkle

Why isn't there a remake of Westworld?

4. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 10:14 InBlack

DelayZ. Pure win. Well done sir!  

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 10:07 Topevoli

Credit given for the good analogy at least.  

2. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 09:50 Dmitri_M

BISigh  

1. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 09:48 mch

DelayZ? No? I'll see myself out.

I was interested in the original mod but never pulled the trigger on ARMA II because of the supposed bugs. Sounds like it might be the same case with this, so in my case I guess it's better they take their time even if they're losing a lot of the original enthusiasm.

PSN: CaseDesignate

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo