Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Delayed Again

DayZ creator Dean Hall spoke with Joystiq at Gamescom, explaining that the upcoming standalone version of DayZ no longer has a set release window, in spite of initial plans to release the game last year and his statement just two months ago that they had pinned down the game's release to a specific week (thanks nin). Hall explains that progress on Bohemia Interactive's survival/horror game is held up waiting for changes to the game's core network architecture. "That's the kind of thing only a few people can work on. It's very specialized," he tells them. "It's like, you can't throw more pilots at a plane. You put a thousand pilots in a plane it's not going to fly any faster." As the market continues to flood with zombie games, he optimistically explains that the best thing that can happen to this project is to lower the level of anticipation:

"If most of the community who maybe thought DayZ was cool a year ago and now they think it's lame, I think that's probably good for us. We don't need to sell that many copies to break-even. We want to be a hardcore game and I think if we make a good game people will come back."

He concluded, "The worst thing we could do would be to release too early. Flat out, that's the stupidest thing we could do. [The alpha launch] is going to be riddled with bugs, but the one thing I don't want it to be riddled with is terrible multiplayer, it's a multiplayer game."

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 23, 2013, 13:24 Dmitri_M

Redmask wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 22:08:
Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 20:02:
hehe well the engine will be built upon as it has been for the past 12+ years but you won't get a new one. that's something anyone with even a mild knowledge of PC FPS titles should know.

That's not a ringing endorsement considering the general state of it.
Reality

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 22:08 Redmask

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 20:02:
hehe well the engine will be built upon as it has been for the past 12+ years but you won't get a new one. that's something anyone with even a mild knowledge of PC FPS titles should know.

That's not a ringing endorsement considering the general state of it.

29. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 20:02 Dmitri_M

Primalchrome wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 18:53:
Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 18:38:
I'm glad you guys got suckered into it so longtime ofp/arma (non-zombie style) players like myself who "get the game" could benefit

zombie type games attract casual gamers, bis got lucky with this mod
>rolling eyes< Whatever feeds your puerile little self delusion. I "get the game" and it doesn't change the fact that the engine is janky and unpolished. There have been a number of hardcore realism shooters over the years that provided the same feel and gameplay....but with an underlying framework that functioned efficiently. But, in the end, you are 100% correct, they got lucky. Without the DayZ mod, they wouldn't have had a quarter the sales they enjoyed. Let's just hope they don't pocket the money and run rather than investing it in a new and hopefully robust engine.

also, out of curiosity name these hardcore shooters that have provided the same feel and gameplay. because believe me if they existed i would not be playing a BIS game.

28. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 18:53 Primalchrome

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 18:38:
I'm glad you guys got suckered into it so longtime ofp/arma (non-zombie style) players like myself who "get the game" could benefit

>rolling eyes< Whatever feeds your puerile little self delusion. I "get the game" and it doesn't change the fact that the engine is janky and unpolished. There have been a number of hardcore realism shooters over the years that provided the same feel and gameplay....but with an underlying framework that functioned efficiently. But, in the end, you are 100% correct, they got lucky. Without the DayZ mod, they wouldn't have had a quarter the sales they enjoyed. Let's just hope they don't pocket the money and run rather than investing it in a new and hopefully robust engine.

27. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 18:38 Dmitri_M

PHJF wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 15:42:
I'm one of those that plunked down the cash for ARMA II just to play DayZ. I regret every cent. It was horribly buggy and the underlying ARMA platform just feels....I don't know...poorly thrown together. It made for an interesting, if not frustrating experience overall. I love the concept and really want a hardcore survival game like this, but preferably one built by a dev that really wants a solid release product

You and me both.

26. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 16:45 Sir Graves

They really need to get someone else in there to run this ship. Rocket seems way over his head.  

25. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 16:38 djinn

I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.

Did you give it back?

24. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 15:59 El Pit

Delay? No problem. The undead have all the time in the world.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

23. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 15:51 LesCaster

My best times with the game were in a group of 3-6 buddies talking on Teamspeak or Mumble, roaming around and wreaking havoc. Most everyone plays that way, so if you go into it a loner, you're gonna get fucked.

While I can appreciate cooperative play, I'm one of those who likes to go it alone and not for lack of friends or an unwillingness to team up with internet strangers. I like the atmosphere that comes with feeling like it's just you against a world that's turned to shit.

I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.

22. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 15:42 PHJF

I'm one of those that plunked down the cash for ARMA II just to play DayZ. I regret every cent. It was horribly buggy and the underlying ARMA platform just feels....I don't know...poorly thrown together. It made for an interesting, if not frustrating experience overall. I love the concept and really want a hardcore survival game like this, but preferably one built by a dev that really wants a solid release product

You and me both.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

21. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 14:53 JohnBirshire

Good, take your time and get it right.  

20. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 14:43 DangerDog

They could get a small following with releasing it as a commercial project but people are going to forge ahead with zombie mods on Arma III and DayZ is already painfully dated. Looks like they thought it would be a quick trip to retail but got taken in with mucking about adding features to Arma II engine.

I'm sure the imprisonment of the developers didn't help any.

19. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 14:12 Vulkan

WyldKat wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 13:35:
I hope they take their time and get it right. That said, if they wait TOO long the State of Decay MMO might be out, then all bets are off. Other than the Xbox 360s jankiness because it couldn't handle all the interiors in SoD, I really enjoyed that game. Melee felt far more responsive and I actually felt like I had an impact on things by rescuing NPCs, building up a base, and getting supplies for that base.

I do hope future versions will have more realistic vehicle handling, though, they're FAR too twitchy.

Slight caveat though: I wouldn't be at all surprised if State of Decay 2 ends up being One exclusive.

18. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 14:07 Sleep

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 13:11:
Beelzebud wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 12:40:
I've been tempted to buy Arma II a few times, just to try the mod, and then I remember that you play it with random people on the internet, and I lose interest.

So, you have no friends? My best times with the game were in a group of 3-6 buddies talking on Teamspeak or Mumble, roaming around and wreaking havoc. Most everyone plays that way, so if you go into it a loner, you're gonna get fucked.

Thats not true, the beautiful thing about the game is that you can quite happily lonewolf and mess up a larger groups day.

But anyway, i think theyre seriously missing their window to max sales, its all a steep downward curve after this point because of the release of some potentially great games. Ill still buy it but they dont want their core buyer to be the people who remembered the original fondly.

17. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 13:35 WyldKat

I hope they take their time and get it right. That said, if they wait TOO long the State of Decay MMO might be out, then all bets are off. Other than the Xbox 360s jankiness because it couldn't handle all the interiors in SoD, I really enjoyed that game. Melee felt far more responsive and I actually felt like I had an impact on things by rescuing NPCs, building up a base, and getting supplies for that base.

I do hope future versions will have more realistic vehicle handling, though, they're FAR too twitchy.

16. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 13:11 jacobvandy

Beelzebud wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 12:40:
I've been tempted to buy Arma II a few times, just to try the mod, and then I remember that you play it with random people on the internet, and I lose interest.

So, you have no friends? My best times with the game were in a group of 3-6 buddies talking on Teamspeak or Mumble, roaming around and wreaking havoc. Most everyone plays that way, so if you go into it a loner, you're gonna get fucked.

15. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 13:07 Jraptor59

I think the game may be good but all this delay has moved this game from cutting edge, even as a mod (which I bought), to old news. They better get up to speed or he will miss the curve on the "zombie" craze.  

14. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 12:41 Whiskers

I think the issue is that they picked the Virtual Reality Engine that BI uses for the Arma games. It's a hodgepodge of random code that's just been added to since the original Operation Flashpoint. There are no real improvements aside from some better graphics and physx in Arma 3. A lot of the modern engines have way more tech and probably a much better infrastructure than the RV engine, so I'm sure that is part of the problem. Trying to sort through years of code added on code added on an old framework from 2000.  

13. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 12:40 Beelzebud

12. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 12:30 StaTik

Ehh Don't get to mad at them. I'm sure it will be a better game for the delays. Better Dayz than Warz.  

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo