Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Within Announced

Firaxis announces XCOM: Enemy Within, an expansion for XCOM: Enemy Unknown coming to the strategy remake for Windows, OS X, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 on November 12 (11/12/13) in North America and November 15 in Europe (15/11/13 doesn't have the same ring). This will require the original game to play, but will also be accompanied by the simultaneous release of the XCOM: Enemy Within – Commander Edition, a standalone version that includes XCOM: Enemy Unknown along with all its DLC for the full experience. The news comes with this announcement trailer, a brief cinematic of a disrupted transmission from Mr. Smoketoomuch. Here's word on what to expect:

NEW YORK - Aug. 21, 2013: 2K and Firaxis Games announced today that XCOM®: Enemy Within, the expanded experience of the Game of the Year* award-winning strategy title XCOM: Enemy Unknown, will be available in North America on November 12, 2013 and internationally on November 15, 2013 for Windows PC, Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Mac® (distributed by Feral Interactive).

XCOM: Enemy Within, the expanded experience of the award-winning strategy title XCOM: Enemy Unknown, will be available in North America on November 12, 2013 and internationally on November 15, 2013 for PC, Xbox 360, PS3, and Mac.

XCOM: Enemy Within takes the incredible experience from XCOM: Enemy Unknown and adds an array of new abilities, upgrades, and weapons to combat new enemy threats. The expansion also provides players with all-new maps, tactical and strategic gameplay, and multiplayer content. There is no better way to experience XCOM than with the massive amount of new content added in XCOM: Enemy Within. Fans will experience an additional three to four playthroughs on average before encountering all of the new material included in XCOM: Enemy Within, providing nearly limitless replayability.

“The incredible critical and consumer response to XCOM: Enemy Unknown inspired us to offer new content that would deepen the strong bond that has been created for our XCOM brand,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Firaxis Games is renowned for delivering massive, highly immersive PC expansions in the Civilization series, and XCOM: Enemy Within builds on that lineage and expands the experience for console gamers as well.”

“We promised gamers that we would deliver the same Enemy Unknown experience on both PC and console last fall, and we’re doing it again with Enemy Within,” said Ananda Gupta, lead designer at Firaxis Games. “The Commander Edition of XCOM: Enemy Within expands the already amazing XCOM experience for our console fans who are looking forward to even more of the game they love. It’s also a great point of entry for new fans just joining the XCOM fight.”

XCOM: Enemy Within vastly improves upon the experience of XCOM: Enemy Unknown with an incredible amount of new content. On PC** and Mac**, XCOM: Enemy Within features additional content that can be enjoyed with previously purchased copies of XCOM: Enemy Unknown. XCOM: Enemy Within will also be available on Xbox 360 and PS3™ system as the XCOM: Enemy Within – Commander Edition** - a standalone pack that expands the XCOM: Enemy Unknown experience featuring the new XCOM: Enemy Within content and the add-on content that was previously released for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, including the Elite Soldier Pack and Slingshot Content Pack.

Key features for XCOM: Enemy Within will include:

• New Soldier Abilities: Research a new alien technology to advance the capabilities of operatives:
    • Gene Mods: Construct the Genetics Lab to physically enhance operatives’ abilities, including augmentations to the chest, brain, eyes, skin and legs.
    • MECs: Build the Cybernetics Lab to enable the construction of the new Mechanized Exoskeletal Cybersuit, or MEC. The new MEC Trooper class has specialized abilities and each suit can be upgraded with new weapons including the flamethrower, grenade launcher and more.
  • New Weapons and Equipment: Give operatives an extra tactical edge with new projects from the engineering team in the Foundry;
  • New Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from a host of new enemies, including the Mechtoid;
  • New Strategic Resource: A valuable new alien resource, known as Meld, has been discovered. Secure it on the battlefield and use it carefully back at base to unlock new research and upgrades;
  • New Tactical Challenges and Maps: Face new tactical challenges, on nearly 50% more maps;
  • New Multiplayer Maps, Units and Abilities: Create custom squad from a wider array of options and dominate opponents in intense, one-on-one, turn-based matches.

XCOM: Enemy Within is rated M for Mature by the ESRB and will be available in North America on November 12, 2013 and internationally on November 15, 2013. XCOM: Enemy Within will be available for Windows PC and Mac for $29.99, and will be available for Xbox 360 and PS3™ system for $39.99 as the XCOM: Enemy Within – Commander Edition. For more information on XCOM: Enemy Within, become a fan on Facebook, follow 2K on Twitter and visit the official web site at http://www.xcom.com.

*XCOM: Enemy Unknown was named Game of the Year 2012 by the following outlets: GameTrailers, GiantBomb, Kotaku, and MTV Multiplayer.

**XCOM: Enemy Within for PC and Mac requires XCOM: Enemy Unknown to play. XCOM: Enemy Within – Commander Edition is a standalone expanded experience that includes all XCOM: Enemy Unknown content and two add-on content packs: the Elite Soldier Pack the Slingshot Content Pack. XCOM: Enemy Within – Commander Edition does not require XCOM: Enemy Unknown to play.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Sep 5, 2013, 23:34 MattyC

Xcim still needs some work. That said, yay for more Xcom!  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 23, 2013, 01:58 NamecaF

Leper wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 18:26:
Apparently there are 80 maps in the original game and they are increasing that to 120. Why does it seem like there were like 40 maps in the original game? I played it a few times and saw the same ones over and over. Maybe I just got unlucky.

It does sound like they're adding a lot. Definitely interested in playing it through a couple more times. I'd like to hear more about the strategic mode improvements though.

Seriously? 80 maps in the original? I find that *very* hard to believe. I've played through the entire campaign at least 30+ times now and it seems like there's only around 12-16 different maps. There's a few additional levels which are variations of those maps (eg. bomb disposal ones, rescue VIP ones, ones where you start on the other end of the map, etc).

But 80 different maps? No way.

EDIT: And something they should bloody-well fix is the damn teleportation bug where aliens just randomly teleport (even out of single entry/exit rooms that you have covered). The game's been out how long and that still hasnt been fixed!

39. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 22, 2013, 18:50 jimnms

InBlack wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 03:47:
jimnms wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 14:38:
I might pick this up if they also fix the first one. I like XCOM, but I stopped playing it after getting so far into the game and it started bugging out. I was hoping it would be patched, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I get different shot percentages depending on what screen I'm looking at. In the tactical view, the alien icons on the bottom when I hover over it, it shows a different percentage than when I'm in the firing mode. The tactical view might show a high percentage, but when I go to take a shot it then shows a low percentage, and other times it's reversed. I don't know which one is right. At first it was only happening to certain soldiers, but eventually it started happening to them all.

I also had a bugged sniper that couldn't see shit. He was a reward for doing a mission, so he already had a high rank. I upgraded him with squad sight, but he never had a shot on anything. It wasn't just squad sight shots, even enemies that obviously should be within his direct line of sight he couldn't see. I'm not talking about having low percent chance to hit like above, he just flat out couldn't see them, so I couldn't even take a shot at all.

Then there are times when I move a soldier to a position that looks like I should have a clear shot at an alien, but then when I get there my soldier doesn't even see them. Then on the alien turn, they are able to hit my soldier from their positions without moving. It was after losing two of my good veteran soldiers to this crap that I (virtually) shelved the game to wait for a patch. Has there even been a single patch for the game since release? I know there hasn't been a patch since I bought it.

There are other minor things like invisible holes in walls that can be fired through. It works both ways though. If your soldier is in overwatch they'll shoot at an enemy through it, except the enemy has an advantage in knowing where these holes are, so they can maneuver into a firing position or set up in overwatch to take advantage of it.

Wow, I never noticed any of those. Must have been lucky...

You must be. The official forums and the Steam forums were full of people complaining about them the last time I checked.

Steam Profile

38. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 22, 2013, 18:26 Leper

Apparently there are 80 maps in the original game and they are increasing that to 120. Why does it seem like there were like 40 maps in the original game? I played it a few times and saw the same ones over and over. Maybe I just got unlucky.

It does sound like they're adding a lot. Definitely interested in playing it through a couple more times. I'd like to hear more about the strategic mode improvements though.

37. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 22, 2013, 11:43 NamecaF

Prez wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 10:23:
Still no base defense and no map randomizer. Damn.

^^This!^^ I cant believe there's no map editor to allow you to make your own maps, or at the very least a map randomizer. I mean its grid based for godsakes, how hard can it bloody be?

I really wish they'd properly support modding as well. It's a fricken pain in the arse and so convoluted, yet the configuration and ini files are just plain text! They're really, intentionally screwing us in the arse for no rhyme or reason!

36. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 22, 2013, 09:41 SpectralMeat

You guys should check out the video interview.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

35. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 22, 2013, 09:22 commonperson

Riker wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 23:36:
Dev wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 22:48:
I'm interested, but $30 is a bit steep IMO

This almost feels like a full sequel. Tons of new content. $30 seems quite reasonable to me, and I'm glad they're putting that much into it.

I'm on the fence, I'm for sure getting it but I'm curious how much story content there will be. They're kind of coy regarding that and base invasions which leads me to believe it may be fairly substantial. Sure new game systems are great and all but if they don't weave it in story wise it's just paint on a rusting car. That being said given the trailer I think it implies some changes to the story arc.

34. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 22, 2013, 03:47 InBlack

jimnms wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 14:38:
I might pick this up if they also fix the first one. I like XCOM, but I stopped playing it after getting so far into the game and it started bugging out. I was hoping it would be patched, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I get different shot percentages depending on what screen I'm looking at. In the tactical view, the alien icons on the bottom when I hover over it, it shows a different percentage than when I'm in the firing mode. The tactical view might show a high percentage, but when I go to take a shot it then shows a low percentage, and other times it's reversed. I don't know which one is right. At first it was only happening to certain soldiers, but eventually it started happening to them all.

I also had a bugged sniper that couldn't see shit. He was a reward for doing a mission, so he already had a high rank. I upgraded him with squad sight, but he never had a shot on anything. It wasn't just squad sight shots, even enemies that obviously should be within his direct line of sight he couldn't see. I'm not talking about having low percent chance to hit like above, he just flat out couldn't see them, so I couldn't even take a shot at all.

Then there are times when I move a soldier to a position that looks like I should have a clear shot at an alien, but then when I get there my soldier doesn't even see them. Then on the alien turn, they are able to hit my soldier from their positions without moving. It was after losing two of my good veteran soldiers to this crap that I (virtually) shelved the game to wait for a patch. Has there even been a single patch for the game since release? I know there hasn't been a patch since I bought it.

There are other minor things like invisible holes in walls that can be fired through. It works both ways though. If your soldier is in overwatch they'll shoot at an enemy through it, except the enemy has an advantage in knowing where these holes are, so they can maneuver into a firing position or set up in overwatch to take advantage of it.

Wow, I never noticed any of those. Must have been lucky...

I have a nifty blue line!

33. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 22, 2013, 01:22 Creston

Riker wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 23:36:

This almost feels like a full sequel. Tons of new content. $30 seems quite reasonable to me, and I'm glad they're putting that much into it.

It's funny, when I saw what they were delivering and what price they were asking, I felt exactly the opposite.

32. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 23:36 Riker

31. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 22:48 Dev

30. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 21:30 Agent.X7

nin wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 10:26:
I like the idea of augmentation. However, despite having it on Steam and now PS3, I've yet to find time to play the damn thing...

Don't bother to play on PS3, nin. I got it free through PS+ and played for about 5 hours and then went and bought the PC version. It's a fun game, but the framerate on PS3 is horrible. It constantly dips to single digits and makes the game annoying to play.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

29. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 17:25 Riker

I'm glad that they're releasing more content. The maps are very stale after the first play-through. Everything else is icing.  

28. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 16:26 SpectralMeat

Interview and some gameplay : http://youtu.be/GCSoqdOZ0-M  

Steam: SpectralMeat

27. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 14:38 jimnms

Steam Profile

26. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 14:37 Whiskers

Yeah it's too bad you can't have user made maps. Talk about a great place for it. Have communities vote and then patch in the highest rated maps and they are randomly spawned in your game. Would greatly increase the longevity.  

25. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 14:24 Cutter

No editor or randomizer? Pass.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 13:48 Beamer

Creston wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 11:43:
Beamer wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 10:26:
Squad Sight (incredibly powerful in Enemy Unknown) will now only do critical damage if you use the Headshot ability, reducing its effectiveness a bit.
That's bad.

Great. Nerf the one power that actually made end-game on Classic and above viable.

Well, headshot resets every other turn, right? So they just made it a bit less useful. Figure 50% of your shots are critical hits, then, right (does Headshot improve critical or guarantee critical?) That's down from, what, 90% at endgame?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 13:44 1badmf

commonperson wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 13:14:
Ooooh! I thought it was a scrambled version of their logo. Maybe it's going to tie back in to Mosaic and the new "prequel" and infiltrators. Interesting! Good eye!

it's from my days following halo ARGs. ilovebees was a phenomenal experience. my leaning is that this might have something to do with some viral marketing.

22. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 13:40 Ratty

One of the Let's Play channels I follow on Youtube did XCOM: EU and I watched it out of curiosity, not knowing anything about the series except the original was beloved in its day. Damn, I ended up watching the whole series and by the end I was practically shouting at my screen when the player did something stupid. Now I'm tempted to get it even though it's unlike any genre I've played before. I've got a strategy for beating the game all mapped out. Watching was fun but playing it would either be fun and addictive or tedious. I can't tell. So I'll wait until it's under $20.  

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo