Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced

Blizzard announces Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, saying the first expansion for Diablo III will raise the game's level cap to 70, add new randomized and end-game content, and more, though there's no word that it will remove the Auction House that admittedly harmed the game. This trailer is the opening cinematic, with a link in the description back to the Reaper of Souls teaser page discovered last week, showing the action/RPG expansion will focus on destroying the soul stone that keeps causing so much trouble in a conflict against Death (and not the sexy Thanos' girlfriend version). There's also this gameplay teaser clip which introduces the new Crusader class, new environments, new monsters, and more. Here's part of the announcement: :

In addition to taking the story of Diablo III from the legendary city of Westmarch to the unhallowed halls of the Pandemonium Fortress in Act V and introducing the incorruptible Crusader class, Diablo III: Reaper of Souls increases the game’s level cap to 70. Players continuing on with their existing Barbarian, Witch Doctor, Demon Hunter, Wizard, and Monk characters will benefit from an array of fearsome new spells and abilities as they advance in level.

The expansion also accentuates the key features of the Diablo franchise, with a greater emphasis on randomized environments to explore; epic new quests; horrific new monsters to defeat; and substantial updates to the loot experience, enabling players to further customize their characters with new and improved multilevel Legendary items, new Blacksmith and Jeweler item-crafting options, and more.

Diablo III’s Paragon progression system is also being majorly upgraded for the expansion, adding even more end-game character advancement and replayability. Two new game modes—Loot Runs and Nephalem Trials—are being added as well, providing fun and rewarding challenges for players to tackle when they’re not busy saving the world.

Malthael, the fallen Archangel of Wisdom, returns as the Angel of Death in Diablo III's first expansion set: Reaper of Souls. Having seized the Black Soulstone and slain most of the guards protecting it, it now falls to players to track down Malthael and stop him before he unleashes irreversible havoc on the world. Fortunately, a new hero is ready to join the cause and bring Malthael to justice—the Crusader, a fierce melee warrior whose command of the battlefield is matched only by his unwavering conviction and uncompromising dedication to the Light.

View
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

90. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Sep 3, 2013, 14:43 RollinThundr

Krovven wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:33:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:10:
If your build is not good enough or if you don't like it, you can start a new character, of the same class, and play it differently.

Most people don't want to do that, nor do they have time to do that. If that's how D3 was, I (and just about everyone else I know) would not have played it beyond Normal difficulty (just as I didn't with D2). Instead I have all 5 classes at lvl 60 with varying levels of Paragon on each of them.

Hitting a wall in an ARPG where the build you have chosen ceases to be viable, sucks ass. Starting over with a new build that may run into the same problem 30 hours in, is not fun. If you enjoy that, there are several other ARPG options out there for you.

The irony is, you contradict yourself. You say don't want to use "one of X combos that work", but that's exactly what you are saying you want by preferring to use a locked skill tree that you cannot change, therefore you need to know exactly what "combos" you are going to be using up-front for the entire time you play that character.

The D3 method, I can play the same character from lvl 1 to 60 using a huge variety of skills, swap them around, change the Runes and experiment with different combos and I never need to look it up on a website to tell me if I'm wasting my time or not. I try it, and change it as needed.

So do they pay you to continue to shill for this train wreck of how not to design an ARPG?

The itemization in D3 is broken, has been since day one. Hell the whole fucking game is dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. No skill trees, every class just picks the best skill so everyone is pretty much cookie cutter. The item stats blow, unless an item has a main stat that helps out whatever character your on, it could be a god item otherwise yet, into the trash it goes.

All things people pointed out via the beta and within the first months of release.

Hate to say we all told you so, but we did.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2013, 14:48.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

89. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 22, 2013, 15:03 Verno

Krovven wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 14:27:
No it really isn't. I looked up the launch thread, and it's very clear that the majority of people that were bashing it were doing so completely based on heresay and had never even played it.

I don't agree, it seems like a big assumption based on little but you're entitled to your opinion. Basing it off a few Steam stats you have access to doesn't really seem like a solid barometer for painting "Blues" with the same brush. You also don't even need to use Steam to play Marvel Heroes at all, I never actually loaded it on Steam but you aren't taking that into account. As for their hero distribution they later admitted it was flawed so I think those complaints had some validity to them. Many people want to try everything and find their preference, it's also hard to lock people out of their favorite comic book characters. This is as much a business model failing as it is anything else. MH isn't a particularly deep game either, you don't need to play 5 hours to form an opinion on it IMHO.

There is so much to play these days that if a game doesn't grab people right away often times that's the only choice it gets. I've actually started limiting the amount of time I will put into movies and games before I give up on them because life is too short.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

88. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 22, 2013, 14:27 Krovven

Verno wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 08:39:
This is revisionist history, the usual "wahhhh Blues" stuff. Most of my play was in beta before it was even on Steam. People complained about the drop rate of heroes as much as anything else and peoples complaints with the game were related to gameplay more than heroes IMO. Frankly it just wasn't a very good game, the idea that "Blues" slagged it before playing for kicks is just silly. It's the internet, one or two idiots will always be stupid but I totally get why people were unimpressed with the game, it was average in every way.

No it really isn't. I looked up the launch thread, and it's very clear that the majority of people that were bashing it were doing so completely based on heresay and had never even played it. And yes a lot of the complaints were completely based on the pricing of the Heroes...to which I again point out they do not have to pay for. The game gives the player the choice of 5 or 6 Heroes to choose from right from the start and you get a 2nd character within 30min or so of playing the game. Most ARPGs only have 3-5 characters to choose from total. Marvel Heroes has 30+? Nobody needs them all, let alone half of them. They have since updated the game to add an in-game currency for purchasing Heroes instead of the random drops.

My entire argument in the launch thread was for people to give the game a whirl, for free, rather than base their idiotic opinions of the game entirely based on pricing they do not have to participate in. It's too bad some people are so narrow minded and obtuse to understand this.

Again, you can see on Steam who has and who hasn't played the game, so it's clear who is just talking out of their ass and regurgitating what others have said instead of thinking for themselves.

As I clearly stated, I found the game to be so-so (below average if you ask me), suffers from poor performance, a lot of lag and I have little interest in playing it through again. They have done a lot of patching recently and made lots of changes, so it may have improved and I may be willing to give it another go down the road. Free is the right price for me to do so.

87. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 22, 2013, 10:04 ItBurn

To balance things out. For the first 30 hours of D3, I had a shitload of fun. Then I hit a brick wall of suck... But I can't say I didn't get my money's worth...  

86. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 22, 2013, 08:39 Verno

Krovven wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:38:
Most people on Blues have never even played Marvel Heroes. They were trashing it the day it was released without having played it themselves.

This is revisionist history, the usual "wahhhh Blues" stuff. Most of my play was in beta before it was even on Steam. People complained about the drop rate of heroes as much as anything else and peoples complaints with the game were related to gameplay more than heroes IMO. Frankly it just wasn't a very good game, the idea that "Blues" slagged it before playing for kicks is just silly. It's the internet, one or two idiots will always be stupid but I totally get why people were unimpressed with the game, it was average in every way.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

85. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 22, 2013, 07:43 Reactor

I think that's overly harsh too. D3 does suffer from being too easy at times, but it certainly does have some enjoyable aspects to it.  

84. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 22, 2013, 06:58 Theo

InBlack wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 04:01:

Look at Krooven, he gave himself away a few posts ago. He never went past Nightmare Diablo2, now a lot of things that he spews make a lot more sense.

People seem to enjoy the kiddie simple approach, apparently it works. Everything is mouthbreather material, except for the grind. Thats asian sweatshop material.

What a load of bullshit. Makes me sad as hell...

think thats harsh personally; i played literally thousands of hours of d2, whilst i thought that was a better game than 3, i still like 3. do miss boss fights and boss runs though.

Also the same can be said for the multitude of people in this thread in reverse that have played next to NO d3 in its current state but still feel qualified to talk about it.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

83. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 22, 2013, 04:01 InBlack

The worst part about it its still gonna sell like hotcakes. They have taken the things we loved most in Diablo and given us something else, something else that a lot of people like apparently.

Look at Krooven, he gave himself away a few posts ago. He never went past Nightmare Diablo2, now a lot of things that he spews make a lot more sense.

People seem to enjoy the kiddie simple approach, apparently it works. Everything is mouthbreather material, except for the grind. Thats asian sweatshop material.

What a load of bullshit. Makes me sad as hell...

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2013, 06:19.

I have a nifty blue line!

82. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 22, 2013, 03:38 Theo

As someone who knew that whilst D3 had problems still put 200+ hours in to a single charicter; i am looking forward to this.

besides, new paragon system has stat points you can spend (and by the look of this, not on just base stats but also secondary and effects).

cant wait, do love me some d3

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

81. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 22, 2013, 03:19 Lord Tea

nin wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 08:54:
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...

Um, no. Blizzard managed to "fool" millions just once - to accomplish their goal (which is sitting on a mountain of cash). They will gladly accept all the shame and cash you throw at them in the first place. They don't have to fool you twice. And in five to ten years, when they release their next Diablo, all the shame will be long forgotten and people will again be ready to throw cash (and shame) in Blizzards direction.

UPSA = United Police States of America

80. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 21:16 Reactor

jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 16:09:
PropheT wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 14:00:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 13:39:
I don't think it's a bad game, it's just kind of soulless and not very compelling.

That's pretty much what a bad game is, though, isn't it?

The gameplay is very sterile and the story is so bad that I didn't want to play through the game again.

Well, maybe I'm hashing shades of gray, but I'd say it was average. Maybe mediocre. But not bad.

I keep playing it because as it's gotten harder it's gotten a lot more fun to play.

79. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 20:13 PropheT

Redmask wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 18:12:
Krovven wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:53:
Also doesn't take a genius to look at Steam and see who has and who has not played the game. Difficult concept for you to wrap your brain around I'm sure.

Or you just made up some shit, occam's razor and all. It was not at all difficult to see the problems with Marvel Heroes in the beta periods.

That and the big complaints from launch day were mostly about them charging way too much for heroes, with the defense being that you could unlock them through normal play... and anyone who has actually played it knows that's BS. They even admitted as much and made changes to the game after launch to rectify it.

78. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 19:42 Silicon Avatar

I never got around to actually buying Diablo 3. I just kept waiting for people to say "Yay! It's finally fixed!" but it never happened.

77. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 18:46 Bhruic

Seriously Blizzard? Can you at least pretend that you're trying to do a decent story? "Ok, so we've got this soulstone... Let's hide it somewhere, because no one ever finds hidden soulstones in the Diablo universe!"

Sigh.

76. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 18:25 LaxerFL

So the new class is a Paladin? And they added 10 more meaningless levels? Oh yeah, I'll get in line for this right now... /sarcasm off

I don't know how Blizzard managed to ruin this franchise as badly as they did but it is OVER Blizzard. Stop pumping resources into this failure and move on to ruining something else. That seems to be all you are good at anymore.

If they bring back Skill Trees and remove the AH, I'm game. That is the only way I'd ever consider playing this game again.

75. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 18:12 Redmask

Krovven wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:53:
Also doesn't take a genius to look at Steam and see who has and who has not played the game. Difficult concept for you to wrap your brain around I'm sure.

Or you just made up some shit, occam's razor and all. It was not at all difficult to see the problems with Marvel Heroes in the beta periods.

74. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 18:12 Krovven

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:50:
Or ridiculously funny videos featuring groups entirely made of the same character.

Because every other ARPG has so many character options and never have groups with all the same class/character? Marvel Heroes problem with that is the Costumes remained the same for most of the game, therefore you didn't see a lot of visual variety unless someone paid for a Costume, or got lucky with a Costume drop.

73. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 18:09 ItBurn

Krovven wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 18:01:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:38:
What? I never said that I wanted a locked skill tree that I can't change... I was talking about the Hellgate London skill trees.

If your build is not good enough or if you don't like it, you can start a new character, of the same class, and play it differently.

That is what I quoted, and that is what I was responding to.

As you describe it, that is not how Hellgate London works. I got 15min into Hellgate London and uninstalled that piece of shit. So if you want to talk specific games with specific skill trees, then do so by using their name. Just sounds like you are trying to twist your way out of the contradiction you made as the ability to respec in Hellgate London would not require you to "start a new character" which is exactly what you said is the skill tree style you prefer.

Yeah well, not everything everyone says is literal and I think you read a little too sideways.

While Hellgate London was vilified for not delivering on promises it had made and being somewhat unpolished, it has the best and most solid skill and loot systems that I have ever played. And I played every diablo clone.

72. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 18:01 Krovven

ItBurn wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:38:
What? I never said that I wanted a locked skill tree that I can't change... I was talking about the Hellgate London skill trees.

That is what I quoted, and that is what I was responding to.

As you describe it, that is not how Hellgate London works. I got 15min into Hellgate London and uninstalled that piece of shit. So if you want to talk specific games with specific skill trees, then do so by using their name. Just sounds like you are trying to twist your way out of the contradiction you made as the ability to respec in Hellgate London would not require you to "start a new character" which is exactly what you said is the skill tree style you prefer.

Edit: also, about your website, these aren't many different builds... It's basically the same build with one skill changed for another.

Only people that don't know what they are talking about say that. It's easy to see the base skills and say it's all the same with minor changes. There are 6 Runes per base skill and most of the Runes drastically change how the base skill works. So you can be using 4 of the same base skills with 4 Runes and that build will have a completely different play style than if you use the same 4 base skills and change each of their Runes. Start changing around the Passives and again it changes how builds play.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2013, 18:08.

71. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 17:53 Krovven

Redmask wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:42:
...he says while reading the minds of random internet people everywhere to bolster his own opinion.

Almost like there was a beta for a game that let people play it in advance and an early access period.

Any idiot can tell from the comments in the launch thread that the people trashing it had not even played it as they didn't know that Heroes dropped and were not just purchased. They weren't even willing to try playing the free game because they weren't willing to spend their ridiculous prices for all the Heroes, despite not having to at all.

90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo