Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced

Blizzard announces Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, saying the first expansion for Diablo III will raise the game's level cap to 70, add new randomized and end-game content, and more, though there's no word that it will remove the Auction House that admittedly harmed the game. This trailer is the opening cinematic, with a link in the description back to the Reaper of Souls teaser page discovered last week, showing the action/RPG expansion will focus on destroying the soul stone that keeps causing so much trouble in a conflict against Death (and not the sexy Thanos' girlfriend version). There's also this gameplay teaser clip which introduces the new Crusader class, new environments, new monsters, and more. Here's part of the announcement: :

In addition to taking the story of Diablo III from the legendary city of Westmarch to the unhallowed halls of the Pandemonium Fortress in Act V and introducing the incorruptible Crusader class, Diablo III: Reaper of Souls increases the game’s level cap to 70. Players continuing on with their existing Barbarian, Witch Doctor, Demon Hunter, Wizard, and Monk characters will benefit from an array of fearsome new spells and abilities as they advance in level.

The expansion also accentuates the key features of the Diablo franchise, with a greater emphasis on randomized environments to explore; epic new quests; horrific new monsters to defeat; and substantial updates to the loot experience, enabling players to further customize their characters with new and improved multilevel Legendary items, new Blacksmith and Jeweler item-crafting options, and more.

Diablo III’s Paragon progression system is also being majorly upgraded for the expansion, adding even more end-game character advancement and replayability. Two new game modes—Loot Runs and Nephalem Trials—are being added as well, providing fun and rewarding challenges for players to tackle when they’re not busy saving the world.

Malthael, the fallen Archangel of Wisdom, returns as the Angel of Death in Diablo III's first expansion set: Reaper of Souls. Having seized the Black Soulstone and slain most of the guards protecting it, it now falls to players to track down Malthael and stop him before he unleashes irreversible havoc on the world. Fortunately, a new hero is ready to join the cause and bring Malthael to justice—the Crusader, a fierce melee warrior whose command of the battlefield is matched only by his unwavering conviction and uncompromising dedication to the Light.

View
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

50. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 15:16 Tim Collins

If your reading this just load up skyrim +DLC and stop wasting yer time.

oh yea btw the Paladin called and wants his class back.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 14:37 deqer

"Hey guys, we finished our homework of implementing random-content into this WoW-based engine for D3. But instead of including it in a patch, we want to make more moneyz and release it as part of an expansion instead! Thanks for your support!"

Pass.

48. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 14:26 Cutter

Does this remove the ODRM and RMAH? No? Pass.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

47. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 14:12 LesCaster

Blizzard needs to hire some top-notch writers and get into the feature film business. The visuals in their cinematics never fail to disappoint.

I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.

46. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 14:10 Verno

I don't know how they fucked up the story so bad in Diablo 3, you don't really need much of a story to do an ARPG. It helps if you do it well but overall just don't do too much and that's exactly what they did wrong. Control is taken away numerous times for pointless cutscenes filled with Saturday morning cartoon villain exposition that is mind numbing. You can skip them but the constant stoppages of play are bizarre and the worst part is that the story itself just doesn't need or warrant them. Chris Metzen should just do the less is more approach to story telling because its worse than fantasy B novels otherwise.

I remember at one point there is literally a cutscene for your character turning a lever. The Emperor shit in Act 2 was absolutely laughable as well. The Act 3 guy whose name escapes me is supposed to be the best general they have and his master plan is showing up to the player in visions and revealing their strategy. Just ugh stuff.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

45. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 14:00 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 13:39:
I don't think it's a bad game, it's just kind of soulless and not very compelling.

That's pretty much what a bad game is, though, isn't it?

The gameplay is very sterile and the story is so bad that I didn't want to play through the game again.

44. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 13:55 Wallshadows

Hate all you guys want but Blizzard always delivers on their cinematics.  

43. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 13:55 Sicotic

Don't know how that happened but it should be fixed now.  

42. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 13:53 nin

Why did you post the exact same thing in two different threads?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

41. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 13:51 Sicotic

:-)  

40. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 13:39 jdreyer

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 12:30:
Reactor wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 12:14:
While I can agree D3 has its issues, I still enjoy playing it from time to time multi. This expansion interests me... if the price is right.

Ditto. I recently started my character on Nightmare difficulty. Just finished act 1. It's not THAT horrible guys.

Games that come to mind that were way more disappointing:
SWTOR
Dead Space 3
Dead Island

I don't think it's a bad game, it's just kind of soulless and not very compelling. I played PoE a lot more for some reason, despite that game's flaws.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

39. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 13:12 Creston

Verno wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 09:25:
I don't know, I guess I'm just an optimist but it seems like they have a good bead on what needed improvement and there is new direction in management over there so I hope things turn out differently.

"Come back, Verno! We've changed! We won't hit you no more, promise!"

38. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 13:10 Creston

Beelzebud wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 12:33:
So let me get this straight. They still have not finished all of the features they promised people before Diablo 3 shipped, but now they want to charge extra for them, while still raking in money from the RMAH?

This surprises you?

37. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 12:58 ItBurn

El Pit wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 12:42:
SWTOR - Haven't played it yet
Dead Space 3 - Haven't played it yet
Dead Island - Played it and it was WAY better than Diablo III: The Auction House!

Yeah, Dead Island was an awesome game. And you can't really compare it to D3. D3 is a sequel, DI came out of nowhere. Not saying DI was perfect!

36. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 12:42 El Pit

SWTOR - Haven't played it yet
Dead Space 3 - Haven't played it yet
Dead Island - Played it and it was WAY better than Diablo III: The Auction House!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

35. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 12:33 Beelzebud

So let me get this straight. They still have not finished all of the features they promised people before Diablo 3 shipped, but now they want to charge extra for them, while still raking in money from the RMAH?

Yep, I'm completely done with Blizzard products. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

34. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 12:30 Agent.X7

Reactor wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 12:14:
While I can agree D3 has its issues, I still enjoy playing it from time to time multi. This expansion interests me... if the price is right.

Ditto. I recently started my character on Nightmare difficulty. Just finished act 1. It's not THAT horrible guys.

SWTOR
Dead Space 3
Dead Island

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

33. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 12:25 CJ_Parker

Saying that Diablo ever was a "horror" experience makes me laugh real hard. How old were y'all back then? Four years old? Because that's just about the max age at which Diablo might provoke minor emotions of "horror".
Just like Warcraft Humans & Orcs and every single other Blizzard game in the history of that company it's always been very cartoony and light-hearted.
And don't give me The Butcher. The name of that guy alone ("Da Butchaaaahhh") is so ridiculous and obviously meant in a satirical way that you can't seriously claim that that guy evoked any "horror".
Or if he did I'd make sure you get an appointment with an urologist and let them check where your balls went or if you're one of those people who just has male sexual organs but is genetically a pussy.

Seriously, guys. Anyone out of elementary school would have to be a very strange critter to consider anything Blizzard EVER did as even remotely adult, let alone "horror".
And now don't gimme the stupid 'M' rating. It only got an 'M' because of the succubus half-nekkidness. Can't have any titties in puritan America, of course.

32. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 12:14 Reactor

31. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 12:07 Armengar

Nah, too many other games to play now. Played D3, got my monies worth. Never used the rmah either. Have an mp10 WD and lvl 60 others. Cant be bothered with the dlc unless reviews are sparkling; which i doubt.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo