Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced

Blizzard announces Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, saying the first expansion for Diablo III will raise the game's level cap to 70, add new randomized and end-game content, and more, though there's no word that it will remove the Auction House that admittedly harmed the game. This trailer is the opening cinematic, with a link in the description back to the Reaper of Souls teaser page discovered last week, showing the action/RPG expansion will focus on destroying the soul stone that keeps causing so much trouble in a conflict against Death (and not the sexy Thanos' girlfriend version). There's also this gameplay teaser clip which introduces the new Crusader class, new environments, new monsters, and more. Here's part of the announcement: :

In addition to taking the story of Diablo III from the legendary city of Westmarch to the unhallowed halls of the Pandemonium Fortress in Act V and introducing the incorruptible Crusader class, Diablo III: Reaper of Souls increases the game’s level cap to 70. Players continuing on with their existing Barbarian, Witch Doctor, Demon Hunter, Wizard, and Monk characters will benefit from an array of fearsome new spells and abilities as they advance in level.

The expansion also accentuates the key features of the Diablo franchise, with a greater emphasis on randomized environments to explore; epic new quests; horrific new monsters to defeat; and substantial updates to the loot experience, enabling players to further customize their characters with new and improved multilevel Legendary items, new Blacksmith and Jeweler item-crafting options, and more.

Diablo III’s Paragon progression system is also being majorly upgraded for the expansion, adding even more end-game character advancement and replayability. Two new game modes—Loot Runs and Nephalem Trials—are being added as well, providing fun and rewarding challenges for players to tackle when they’re not busy saving the world.

Malthael, the fallen Archangel of Wisdom, returns as the Angel of Death in Diablo III's first expansion set: Reaper of Souls. Having seized the Black Soulstone and slain most of the guards protecting it, it now falls to players to track down Malthael and stop him before he unleashes irreversible havoc on the world. Fortunately, a new hero is ready to join the cause and bring Malthael to justice—the Crusader, a fierce melee warrior whose command of the battlefield is matched only by his unwavering conviction and uncompromising dedication to the Light.

View
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

70. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 17:50 Agent.X7

Redmask wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:42:
Krovven wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:38:
Most people on Blues have never even played Marvel Heroes. They were trashing it the day it was released without having played it themselves.

...he says while reading the minds of random internet people everywhere to bolster his own opinion.

Almost like there was a beta for a game that let people play it in advance and an early access period.

Or ridiculously funny videos featuring groups entirely made of the same character.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 17:42 Redmask

Krovven wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:38:
Most people on Blues have never even played Marvel Heroes. They were trashing it the day it was released without having played it themselves.

...he says while reading the minds of random internet people everywhere to bolster his own opinion.

Almost like there was a beta for a game that let people play it in advance and an early access period.

68. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 17:38 Krovven

RaZ0r! wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:24:
LOL seriously! I think I'm one of the only people on Blue's that really has no issues with Marvel Heroes and find it fun.

I played it through once as Hawkeye, with zero money spent. I have Scarlet and Thing that I can play as if I choose to play again in the future. The game was so-so and I'm glad I didn't have to pay to play. It had very poor performance, lots of lag and for the most part wasn't an enjoyable experience. They have done a lot of patching and made a lot of changes in the last few months. Some day I may give it another go, but I have so much more to play that is more worthy of my time.

67. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 17:38 ItBurn

Krovven wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:33:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:10:
If your build is not good enough or if you don't like it, you can start a new character, of the same class, and play it differently.

Most people don't want to do that, nor do they have time to do that. If that's how D3 was, I (and just about everyone else I know) would not have played it beyond Normal difficulty (just as I didn't with D2). Instead I have all 5 classes at lvl 60 with varying levels of Paragon on each of them.

Hitting a wall in an ARPG where the build you have chosen ceases to be viable, sucks ass. Starting over with a new build that may run into the same problem 30 hours in, is not fun. If you enjoy that, there are several other ARPG options out there for you.

The irony is, you contradict yourself. You say don't want to use "one of X combos that work", but that's exactly what you are saying you want by preferring to use a locked skill tree that you cannot change, therefore you need to know exactly what "combos" you are going to be using up-front for the entire time you play that character.

The D3 method, I can play the same character from lvl 1 to 60 using a huge variety of skills, swap them around, change the Runes and experiment with different combos and I never need to look it up on a website to tell me if I'm wasting my time or not. I try it, and change it as needed.

What? I never said that I wanted a locked skill tree that I can't change... I was talking about the Hellgate London skill trees. There are three main "pages" of skills. You can mix and match and stuff, but you know that if you follow a tree, it's going to be worth it. You can go down several. You can also respec, and if you put points in skill that are now osbsolete, there are still very useful synergies that affect the other skills and make everything worth it. Also, I'm not saying that using the same skills all the time is a bad thing. It's a great thing if I chose them. It is only a bad thing if I didn't choose them and I'm using them because they're the ones that work.

I think that most people prefer putting points in skills.

66. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 17:33 Krovven

ItBurn wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:10:
If your build is not good enough or if you don't like it, you can start a new character, of the same class, and play it differently.

Most people don't want to do that, nor do they have time to do that. If that's how D3 was, I (and just about everyone else I know) would not have played it beyond Normal difficulty (just as I didn't with D2). Instead I have all 5 classes at lvl 60 with varying levels of Paragon on each of them.

Hitting a wall in an ARPG where the build you have chosen ceases to be viable, sucks ass. Starting over with a new build that may run into the same problem 30 hours in, is not fun. If you enjoy that, there are several other ARPG options out there for you.

The irony is, you contradict yourself. You say don't want to use "one of X combos that work", but that's exactly what you are saying you want by preferring to use a locked skill tree that you cannot change, therefore you need to know exactly what "combos" you are going to be using up-front for the entire time you play that character.

The D3 method, I can play the same character from lvl 1 to 60 using a huge variety of skills, swap them around, change the Runes and experiment with different combos and I never need to look it up on a website to tell me if I'm wasting my time or not. I try it, and change it as needed.

65. Woot! Aug 21, 2013, 17:31 LibertyOrDeath

I loved the cinematic trailer! However, I have been saying for some time now that the AH (gold as well) ruined the experience of the game for many. D2 was was about finding and trading--not buying.

I still play D3 off and on; think I will buy the expansion.

64. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 17:24 RaZ0r!

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:07:
RaZ0r! wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 16:24:
I'll pass. Paths of Exile, Torchlight, Van Helsing, heck even Marvel Heroes is more fun in my opinion. Oh and I think I got Sacred 2 on sale....

Marvel heroes.. seriously? Lol. Diablo 3 has numerous flaws but let's not get too crazy with the hyperbole.

There is still Grim Dawn on the horizon, by the way, for my fellow ARPG enthusiasts. :o

LOL seriously! I think I'm one of the only people on Blue's that really has no issues with Marvel Heroes and find it fun. Maybe it's because I had no expectations for it as I never even heard of it till it hit Steam and I installed it? Not sure.

Thanks for the heads up on Grim Dawn!

63. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 17:20 Moog

Page 4 of the comments and no-one has said "Fuck Those Losers"!!!

Standards are slipping here!

62. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 17:10 ItBurn

Krovven wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 16:59:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 16:41:
I'm still forced to use the best skills instead of the skills I actually like.

Which is completely false and has always been.

Every class has multiple viable builds.
One look here http://diablo.somepage.com/popular/ proves this, as even the highest percentage is Barbarians (Whirlwind build) sitting at only 6%. Other classes have a lot more variety with builds than the Barbarians and that has more to do with the Barbarians other build options being not very fun to play.

It's too bad people are unimaginative and just use what everyone else tells them "is the best build" or people like you just spouting that there is only 1 good build without actually knowing what they are talking about. There are many YouTube vids out there with very experienced players showing off different builds. And if you actually play with other people, you can change your build(s) around to work very well together, even though they aren't considered the best 'solo' builds. But that requires some people to remove their head from their ass, which is often too much to ask.

I much prefer the D3 skill system over say T2 or PoE, which you pretty much have to know from the start what you are doing. D3 I've changed my skills around often as I levelled up, and still do at level 60 with all classes. I haven't played in awhile, but despite the games other shortcomings, the gameplay kicks the shit out of every other ARPG out there.

Wow you put a shitload of words in my mouth.

I want to use the skills that I want. I don't want to use one of X combos that work. I want to upgrade the skills I want, I want them to become better. I want my decisions to pay off because of good balancing. I hate the D3 system with no skill points. There are many strategies to improve the feeling of "wasting points". Respecking, synergies, having skills trees that are guaranteed to work. If your build is not good enough or if you don't like it, you can start a new character, of the same class, and play it differently. Awesome replayability. In D3, you have a wizard? No reason to play another one.

Edit: also, about your website, these aren't many different builds... It's basically the same build with one skill changed for another.

61. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 17:07 MoreLuckThanSkill

RaZ0r! wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 16:24:
I'll pass. Paths of Exile, Torchlight, Van Helsing, heck even Marvel Heroes is more fun in my opinion. Oh and I think I got Sacred 2 on sale....

I love me some Torchlight 2, but Van Helsing wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination. I reserve opinion on Path of Exile until they've finished all the acts, so far it seems promising, if a little too limited, skill wise. Marvel heroes.. seriously? Lol. Diablo 3 has numerous flaws but let's not get too crazy with the hyperbole.

I haven't had the urge to play Diablo 3 in months, it isn't even installed on any of my machines currently. However, these changes look promising. I'll probably try the expansion at some point, if I'm being honest. Blizzard at least has the money and staff to fix their game... eventually.

There is still Grim Dawn on the horizon, by the way, for my fellow ARPG enthusiasts.

60. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 16:59 Krovven

ItBurn wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 16:41:
I'm still forced to use the best skills instead of the skills I actually like.

Which is completely false and has always been.

Every class has multiple viable builds.
One look here http://diablo.somepage.com/popular/ proves this, as even the highest percentage is Barbarians (Whirlwind build) sitting at only 6%. Other classes have a lot more variety with builds than the Barbarians and that has more to do with the Barbarians other build options being not very fun to play.

It's too bad people are unimaginative and just use what everyone else tells them "is the best build" or people like you just spouting that there is only 1 good build without actually knowing what they are talking about. There are many YouTube vids out there with very experienced players showing off different builds. And if you actually play with other people, you can change your build(s) around to work very well together, even though they aren't considered the best 'solo' builds. But that requires some people to remove their head from their ass, which is often too much to ask.

I much prefer the D3 skill system over say T2 or PoE, which you pretty much have to know from the start what you are doing. D3 I've changed my skills around often as I levelled up, and still do at level 60 with all classes. I haven't played in awhile, but despite the games other shortcomings, the gameplay kicks the shit out of every other ARPG out there.

59. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 16:41 ItBurn

Krovven wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 16:25:
Diablo Fans info on new features

Legendaries are looking good. As are the new features.

auction-house-in-expansion-question

Based on the screens in the first link, I'm guessing some/all of the targeted drops will be Account Bound Legendaries, and/or using the Mystic to change stats on a legendary will make the item Account Bound.

So the new paragon system is basically borderlands 2's badass points. It's a step in the right direction, but I'm still forced to use the best skills instead of the skills I actually like.

58. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 16:25 Krovven

Diablo Fans info on new features

Legendaries are looking good. As are the new features.

auction-house-in-expansion-question

Based on the screens in the first link, I'm guessing some/all of the targeted drops will be Account Bound Legendaries, and/or using the Mystic to change stats on a legendary will make the item Account Bound.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2013, 16:33.

57. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 16:24 RaZ0r!

56. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 16:20 Fantaz

...i don't understand how they gonna raise the level cap when they have paragon levels? how's that going to affect paragon levelling?  

55. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 16:09 jdreyer

PropheT wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 14:00:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 13:39:
I don't think it's a bad game, it's just kind of soulless and not very compelling.

That's pretty much what a bad game is, though, isn't it?

The gameplay is very sterile and the story is so bad that I didn't want to play through the game again.

Well, maybe I'm hashing shades of gray, but I'd say it was average. Maybe mediocre. But not bad.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

54. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 16:08 PropheT

FloorPie wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 15:40:
As always, the D3 story in 3 minutes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcJ_XT3oWtY

Curse your butterfly magics!

I probably shouldn't have watched that, it was just depressing :p

Act 3 sums up pretty well why the story is so bad, and they even leave out the whole Leah/Witch thing that no one smart enough to install the game wouldn't have figured out by the time it happens, and yet they still do the "no one could have anticipated" stuff afterward. There's really only two possibilities there, that they were going for campy and stupid (the exact opposite of what Diablo should have been) or they assume the players are stupid, which is probably worse.

I complain about the story, but after seeing that I'm convinced it's actually worse than I remembered it being

53. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 15:40 FloorPie

My worst buy and biggest regret of 2012.

Can't say more than whats already been said. I made the mistake of reading a few supporter comments on sites that carried this news. The blind love is always amazing. You're peeing in their cornflakes just pointing out the obvious. Error 37 never happened apparently.

As always, the D3 story in 3 minutes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcJ_XT3oWtY

Curse your butterfly magics!

52. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 15:37 Xero

Blizzard, selling sh!t on a golden platter since 2012

For any WoW expansion players, you can chime in if that year should be pushed back, lol

Currently playing: Sanitarium, Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition, Shadow Warrior Classic Redux

51. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 15:20 Necrophob

Verno wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 14:10:
I don't know how they fucked up the story so bad in Diablo 3, you don't really need much of a story to do an ARPG. It helps if you do it well but overall just don't do too much and that's exactly what they did wrong. Control is taken away numerous times for pointless cutscenes filled with Saturday morning cartoon villain exposition that is mind numbing. You can skip them but the constant stoppages of play are bizarre and the worst part is that the story itself just doesn't need or warrant them. Chris Metzen should just do the less is more approach to story telling because its worse than fantasy B novels otherwise.

I remember at one point there is literally a cutscene for your character turning a lever. The Emperor shit in Act 2 was absolutely laughable as well. The Act 3 guy whose name escapes me is supposed to be the best general they have and his master plan is showing up to the player in visions and revealing their strategy. Just ugh stuff.

How did they screw up the story? Sashaying, trash talking sassy Diablo, and (hidden text follows) killing Cain.

90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo