Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions

The Elder Scrolls Online tweets about a an interview with Matt Firor saying The Elder Scrolls Online will be using the subscription model that's almost completely out of style for current MMORPGs. Here's word:

Choosing the right business model is part of that. We are going with the subscription model for ESO.

We're building a game with the freedom to play - alone or with your friends - as much as you want. A game with meaningful and consistent content - one packed with hundreds of hours of gameplay that can be experienced right away and one that will be supported with premium customer support. Charging a flat monthly (or subscription) fee means that we will offer players the game we set out to make, and the one that fans want to play. Going with any other model meant that we would have to make sacrifices and changes we weren't willing to make.

The Elder Scrolls Online offers unlimited play for the first 30 days with the purchase of the game. The choice is yours to play as much as you want; hundreds of hours of content, PvP, etc - is all there for you to experience with the base purchase of the game. If you want to continue playing for hundreds of hours more after that first month you'll pay a flat fee for continued, unlimited access to the game.

We'll talk about further discounts, etc. later, but for now, we are very happy to finally announce our model. It's very simple - you pay once per month after the first 30 days and the entire game is available to you.

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

24. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 12:22 Agent.X7

Whoops, I was interested, but suddenly I find myself no longer caring about ESO.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 12:12 Armengar

Too many other games to play rather than a subscription game.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

22. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 11:23 Fion

The problem with starting subscription based and then potentially going B2P or F2P is that the game is 'designed' as a subscription MMOG, IE it is designed to have content that takes forever to participate in, designed to have a grind to keep players logged in for as long as possible, designed so that people will be forced to go through a bunch of hoops just to do anything because time = money.

The great thing about GW2 IMHO is that it was designed from the ground up to be a B2P game, so it does away with a huge amount of that kind of crap. You can get anywhere in the game world in an instant. Dungeons don't take two hours to set up and four hours to play through. Simple things like transfering crafting mats to the bank because they don't need to force you to run to town when your bags get full (time=money in a P2P) and more.

21. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 11:06 Squirmer

MajorD wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 10:55:
I followed the developement of this game here and there, but I don't ever remember seeing them hint towards a subscription model to have to play it, as I was lead to believe it was going to be FTP. So, they just get everyone all hyped up and excited for the game and then drop this bomb?! Stupid me, I should have known they would be charging a subscription to play it in the first place. Dunce
It was fairly clear they were going to use subscriptions because they didn't announce a business model for a long time. If they were following the Guild Wars 2 approach, "no subscription fee" would have been a good marketing line, like it was with GW2. But they said nothing, so they obviously wanted to keep this quiet for as long as they reasonably could.

20. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 11:03 Squirmer

I can't help feeling that this game is heading for disaster. They have a strong IP, but how many people will be repelled when they realise it's not actually Elder Scrolls 6 but a fairly typical MMO? They've been avoiding showing the MMO-like stuff in videos so far, instead pretending it plays just like an Elder Scrolls game, and I think a lot of people will be surprised.

Then to use the outdated model of subscriptions, knowing how many other games have switched for F2P to survive, AND then adding the extra complexity of developing for multiple platforms ... They've got their work cut out for them.

19. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 10:56 Kajetan

Smellfinger wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 10:21:
Why would you pay a monthly fee to play a game that's going to have a cash shop?
It depends on what i can buy. Just some (!) fancy vanity or XP grinding stuff like Blizzard has done in WoW? Why not? In my opinion that is not part of the game.

More inventory slots? Faster mounts only in the shop? No way!

18. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 10:55 MajorD

Okay, so I have to pay for a game that will only be playable for 30 days, but if I want to continue to play it I have to pay more money?

I followed the developement of this game here and there, but I don't ever remember seeing them hint towards a subscription model to have to play it, as I was lead to believe it was going to be FTP. So, they just get everyone all hyped up and excited for the game and then drop this bomb?! Stupid me, I should have known they would be charging a subscription to play it in the first place. Dunce

I have never, and will never, pay a subcription fee to play a game I've already paid for, but I guess there are plenty of people that will/do.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2013, 11:01.

17. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 10:37 Hump

Sell the hardcores the boxed game for $60. Once the sales level out, they'll switch to a F2P.

They know full well what they're doing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

16. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 10:36 NewMaxx

Acleacius wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 10:30:
I'm betting $10 US price mark would increase the subscription base of most if not all mmogs by 30% to 50%. I don't see a single company trying it, out right. I've seen some like LotRO try it as a discount for 3 months, which does seem to be successful.

Exactly. As I insinuated in my first reply, though, the overhead costs of dealing with a multi-platform MMO is higher. The problem is that the costs per player isn't really consistent. No MMO publisher in the world, however, is going to try a risky multi-cost approach. For example, PC players pay $10/mnth sub but get cash shop tokens, while console players only pay box cost but have to pay their system's currency for cash shop tokens. Voila, problem solved. Too bad we're dealing with cookie cutter syndrome here again...

15. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 10:30 Acleacius

At least to me, it's the $15 US monthly fee for subscription that causes the failure. It's just too much, that pricing model is at least 14 years old.

I'm betting $10 US price mark would increase the subscription base of most if not all mmogs by 30% to 50%. I don't see a single company trying it, out right. I've seen some like LotRO try it as a discount for 3 months, which does seem to be successful.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

14. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 10:28 Prez

Ballsy move. I expected this to be sub-free with just a one-time retail transaction to buy the game a la Guild Wars 2. Not sure this is a good move. I know I will never pay a subscription for a game.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 10:25 Marvin T. Martian

Not for me! Maybe if the game was free for the 1st 30 days(no purchase cost) and they were up front about the actual ammount they will charge,I might have tried it.
P.S.--- and a cash shop as well???????? No thanks.

12. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 10:21 Smellfinger

Kajetan wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 08:55:
Good! I like games where i know how much money i will spend. Upfront.
]

Why would you pay a monthly fee to play a game that's going to have a cash shop?

11. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 10:13 NKD

So, free to play in 6 months? 9? Maybe a whole year? They haven't shown anything so far that suggests this game is worth playing in the long term. The only people excited about this are the same people who get excited about every MMO, play for a month or two, and then quit to get excited about the next one.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

10. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 10:12 HorrorScope

wtf_man wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 09:23:
Not a chance in hell that I'd buy this without a free trial first. I'm done getting burned by MMO's false promises and bait n' switch tactics.

That's true. The game should be free upfront for 5-10 days, then Sub. But they will go thee most expensive route $60 and $15. Good thing they have Elder Scrolls name behind them, otherwise it wouldn't have a chance at all.

9. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 09:51 aesir05

EVE and WoW are the only real subs based MMOs that are successful right now.
With WoW rumored to go F2P very soon and EVE having its Plex based hybrid subscription model this will be the only subscription based MMO around by the time it launches.

If its another WoW clone set in the Elder Scrolls its doomed to fail just like SW:TOR

8. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 09:46 wtf_man

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 09:40:
Personally i hate both F2p and subscription models, I wish they came out with a subsciption BASED on how much you play. So i buy a 10 days of game time, i can play literally for 10 days whenever i want, skip a few months go back finish off the 10 days i bought whatever. Really suprised noone has came up with something like that yet.

Back in the Meridian 59 days... you paid hourly, which was spendy.

But yeah... buying a block of hours (Like 10 days worth) would be a good idea.

7. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 09:40 dj LiTh

Personally i hate both F2p and subscription models, I wish they came out with a subsciption BASED on how much you play. So i buy a 10 days of game time, i can play literally for 10 days whenever i want, skip a few months go back finish off the 10 days i bought whatever. Really suprised noone has came up with something like that yet.  

6. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 09:31 Julio

Subscription models have much more appeal to me than F2P. The nickel and dimeing of F2P is annoying. And my gaming time isn't as much as it used to be.  

5. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 09:23 wtf_man

Not a chance in hell that I'd buy this without a free trial first. I'm done getting burned by MMO's false promises and bait n' switch tactics.  

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo