Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees

Electronic Arts announces "The Great Game Guarantee" for Origin customers, providing a money-back guarantee on digital purchases, saying customers can return games that don't meet with their satisfaction within 24 hours of first launch or within a week of your purchase, whichever comes first (preorders can be returned within a week of the game's release, or 24 hours of first launch). There are further details on how this all works on this page. This only works for EA-developed and EA-published partner games for now, and does not apply to DLC, though they are looking into the ability to expand the program to cover games from other publishers and developers. Market leader Steam has been known to accede to requests for refunds on a case-by-case basis, but has no comparable official refund policy in place. Thanks Verno.

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

43. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 12:42 jimnms

This is great news, and I hope it pressures Steam to offer some sort of refund policy. Having a no refund policy is my biggest complaint about Steam, even though there are very few times I've wished I could get a refund on a Steam purchase. I was able to get a refund once, and that was for GTA IV. They basically said they would do it this one time as a courtesy, but don't expect to get a refund ever again. That was when I decided never to buy a new release from Steam. Most of my Steam games have been purchased from 3rd party sites mainly because of better deals. I figure if I'm stuck with it, I might as well pay less for it.  

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 12:36 Julio

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 12:10:
So where do I sign up to get a refund on Simcity?

If you just bought it you can

41. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 12:32 Axis

Fantaz wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 12:24:

you're too late on that...

Axis wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 12:24:
Having just bought the Origin Bundle, I can officially say Origin is complete and utter shit.

As soon as I saw I needed to download a browser plugin to run BF3, I knew these guys were complete amateurs. I'll run a shitty version of Steam (called "Origin) reluctantly, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna load more and more shit I don't need.

I uninstalled Origin immediately. I just never give a shit, I have too many hobbies to begin with -- easy uninstall.

well then it's a good thing you only spent under $5 on that

Ya that's the only reason I bought it, since the keys were for steam and origin both and I had none of the titles. I pretty much stick to pure FPS and RPG's, but never know when my kids will wanna have the shit scared outta them with Deadspace...

Yours truly,

Axis

40. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 12:28 Tanto Edge

...pfft. Fuck that.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

39. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 12:24 Fantaz

you're too late on that...

Axis wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 12:24:
Having just bought the Origin Bundle, I can officially say Origin is complete and utter shit.

As soon as I saw I needed to download a browser plugin to run BF3, I knew these guys were complete amateurs. I'll run a shitty version of Steam (called "Origin) reluctantly, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna load more and more shit I don't need.

I uninstalled Origin immediately. I just never give a shit, I have too many hobbies to begin with -- easy uninstall.

well then it's a good thing you only spent under $5 on that

38. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 12:24 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

37. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 12:10 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

36. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 11:58 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 11:38:
24 hours of first launch means 24 hours after YOU launched the game.

LOL, ok.... now I got it! Thanks. Ha ha ha!

35. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 11:52 Zarkonis

The only "guarantee" you get with EA is that they're going to find every trick in the book to screw you over.  
Slow and steady might not win the race at first, until you shoot everyone ahead of you.

34. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 11:46 ASeven

As much hate EA gets, deservedly, this is a very good step in amping up the competition against Steam. You don't go against Steam with shitty exclusives, you go against steam by offering better services and this is a good example of it.

Not that it will make Origin any more popular but I'm glad competition for Steam is ramping up at last. Competition is always good.

33. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 11:41 Creston

Nice, btw. Tried to go to the page Blue linked with all the details, both on firefox and chrome, and get:

The site's security certificate is signed using a weak signature algorithm!
You attempted to reach help.ea.com, but the server presented a certificate signed using a weak signature algorithm. This means that the security credentials the server presented could have been forged, and the server may not be the server you expected (you may be communicating with an attacker).
You should not proceed, especially if you have never seen this warning before for this site.

Making Webpage Hard!

32. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 11:38 Creston

24 hours of first launch means 24 hours after YOU launched the game. So you buy it on 8/20 but never play it, you have until 8/27 to return it. You buy it on 8/20 and launch it on 8/22, you have until 8/23 to return it.

Anyway, I'm absolutely STUNNED to see EA do something like this. What's next? Origin summer sales that put Steam's to shame? A backup feature? No longer being spammed by their store? The sky's the limit, EA, don't stop now!

Anyway, kudos to them for doing this. It's an excellent step, and one that has been sorely needed in the game industry for 15+ years. Now if a publisher launches a title way too early and it's bugged out the ass, you can return it. I wonder if EA realizes that this means they can't release shit half-done anymore.

31. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 11:26 HorrorScope

Orogogus wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 11:03:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 10:49:
Kajetan wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 10:09:
wtf_man wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 09:53:
While this is a move in the right direction... it should be 24 hours after first launch of the game
"within 24 hours of first launch or within a week of your purchase, whichever comes first"

Whatever that means, read that and figured a typo. That makes no sense, but this does make sense: Return within a week of first launch or within 24 after purchase after that.

Unless I'm missing something. Because if the game launched today I'll take the week to think about return vs the 23 hours.

Yours makes less sense. I literally can't tell what you mean by "within 24 after purchase after that."

I think launch refers to you starting the game, not like a new product launch. Their policy seems to be, you buy the game. Then either 1) you install and launch it right away, 24 hours time's up, or 2) you sit on it and don't install it, and 7 days later time's up. In the latter case I assume the idea is that you see a bunch of bad reviews and decide it's a lemon, or else come down with buyer's
remorse.

Let me clarify.

Game comes out today. 8/20.

You have until 8/27, one week to get a refund.

After that, say you buy it on 8/28, you now just have 24 hours for a refund. Since reviews/word of mouth is out there, it would be for compatibility reasons or for some reason it just doesn't click for you.

That to me makes some sense.

How it reads currently:
"within 24 hours of first launch or within a week of your purchase, whichever comes first"

That is one messed up statement.

24 Hours of first launch will always come first. ALWAYS.

You buy it today 8/20. What comes first 8/21 or 8/27? 8/21
You buy it 8/28 what comes first 8/21 or 9/4? 8/21

The whichever comes first is really poor writing. That can't be the case.

Now leave that out. Then it reads:

You buy it today 8/20 and only have til 8/21, 24 hours after first launch.
While if someone buys it a month from now has a full week for a refund?

Why does that make sense? It makes sense you have a week from first launch and after that you have one day. That makes sense.

30. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 11:24 walrus1

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 11:20:
walrus1 wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 11:19:
When I bought the Humble Bundle last week it took me over 24 hours to download a couple of the games from Origin thanks to the craptastic way it handles downloads! So this won't do me much good but still a move in the right direction.

Can EA fix Origin now please?

As mentioned a few times already in this thread, the 24hrs will start when you first launch the game not when you start to download the game

I should have stated this but it would take me over a week to download the whole bundle through Origin. Also DLC and non-EA published games are excluded from this return scheme. So if you buy broken DLC you're still up the creek without a paddle.

29. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 11:22 Fantaz

now Steam should follow and do this...  

28. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 11:20 SpectralMeat

walrus1 wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 11:19:
When I bought the Humble Bundle last week it took me over 24 hours to download a couple of the games from Origin thanks to the craptastic way it handles downloads! So this won't do me much good but still a move in the right direction.

As mentioned a few times already in this thread, the 24hrs will start when you first launch the game not when you start to download the game

Steam: SpectralMeat

27. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 11:20 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 10:56:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 10:47:
Perhaps a figure of speech, surely you can beat many games in the time they've allotted for a refund.

Right but I really don't think most people are going to stay up for 12 out of 24 hours and do nothing but play a videogame obsessively so that they can return it.

Oh you don't know how obsessed we are with the word Free and by putting that extra time in.... you can have it all for FREE! It's an un-official achievement now.

26. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 11:19 walrus1

When I bought the Humble Bundle last week it took me over 24 hours to download a couple of the games from Origin thanks to the craptastic way it handles downloads! So this won't do me much good but still a move in the right direction. I know we have all bought broken games that we're unplayable at release GTA IV springs to mind.

25. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 11:17 HorrorScope

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 10:50:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 10:47:
So it will be up to us...
Yeah it won't last then.
Ignorant people will take advantage of it as much as they can.
This is why we can't have nice things

Exactly.

24. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 11:15 SpectralMeat

Cutter wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 11:11:
And this is available globally except Canada? Wtf?
lol

Steam: SpectralMeat

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo