Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees

Electronic Arts announces "The Great Game Guarantee" for Origin customers, providing a money-back guarantee on digital purchases, saying customers can return games that don't meet with their satisfaction within 24 hours of first launch or within a week of your purchase, whichever comes first (preorders can be returned within a week of the game's release, or 24 hours of first launch). There are further details on how this all works on this page. This only works for EA-developed and EA-published partner games for now, and does not apply to DLC, though they are looking into the ability to expand the program to cover games from other publishers and developers. Market leader Steam has been known to accede to requests for refunds on a case-by-case basis, but has no comparable official refund policy in place. Thanks Verno.

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

63. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 21, 2013, 16:38 Krovven

saluk wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 03:24:
pretty cool. Too bad steam is a total monopoly and this wont really help the struggling origin out at all. But whether it's evil corporation ea or evil corporation valve, I like it when an evil corporation at least pretends to put consumers rights over profit.

I don't think you have a clue what a "monopoly" is, as Steam does not have a Monopoly, at all.

GMG,GetGames, Origin, GamersGate, Amazon, Impulse, Gamefly...the list goes on and on.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

62. removed Aug 21, 2013, 08:55 RollinThundr

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 21, 2013, 13:37.

61. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 21, 2013, 03:24 saluk

pretty cool. Too bad steam is a total monopoly and this wont really help the struggling origin out at all. But whether it's evil corporation ea or evil corporation valve, I like it when an evil corporation at least pretends to put consumers rights over profit.  

60. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 20:24 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 11:03:
Hyatus wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 11:01:
Launch, in this context, does not mean "the day the game is released", but rather, "the first time you load the game to play."

Right, when I said first launch I meant when you first launch the executable, sorry should have been more clear.

Ditto.

59. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 16:47 jimnms

Prez wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 15:35:
This is kind of an iffy thing to do when games are so short these days. I can see the thought process with a game that is multiplayer-centric (Battlefield series) or one that is intended to be a time sink (Simcity), but in a day when singleplayer games are routinely shorter than 8 hours I can see the chance for lots of abuse here. Still, it seems as though EA is making an attempt to improve its relationship with gamers (and more importantly for them its badly tarnished image) so that is indeed forward progress for them.

Personally the only reason I can see for wanting a refund is if the game is unplayable, either because the game itself is broken or my system is incapable of running the game at a playable clip.

I'm assuming that since it's currently limited to EA developed and published titles only that they have a way to tell if a SP game has been played to completion and can still deny a refund to someone that has finished it.

I don't understand why Steam doesn't have any sort of refund policy, especially now that they track game play time. They could give refunds if you've logged less than 6 hours on the game. That's more than enough time to determine if the game works, do a little troubleshooting if it doesn't, but not enough time to complete a game.

MeanJim on Steam

58. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 15:35 Prez

This is kind of an iffy thing to do when games are so short these days. I can see the thought process with a game that is multiplayer-centric (Battlefield series) or one that is intended to be a time sink (Simcity), but in a day when singleplayer games are routinely shorter than 8 hours I can see the chance for lots of abuse here. Still, it seems as though EA is making an attempt to improve its relationship with gamers (and more importantly for them its badly tarnished image) so that is indeed forward progress for them.

Personally the only reason I can see for wanting a refund is if the game is unplayable, either because the game itself is broken or my system is incapable of running the game at a playable clip.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

57. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 14:46 entr0py

I know the internet is brimming with hate for EA, but this is a great policy. I can only hope it spreads to Steam and other platforms.

A couple years back Google changed it's android market policy from refunds within 24 hours for any reason, to refunds within 15 min (starting before the download begins). I can honestly say that just made me stop buying android games. For android users who don't have the latest phone, lots of games just don't run or don't run well. The same is true of lower end PC gamers. Incredibly, EA made a move in the right direction.

56. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 14:03 Orogogus

Darks wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 13:29:
walrus1 wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 13:13:
Axis wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 12:24:
Having just bought the Origin Bundle, I can officially say Origin is complete and utter shit.

I had a very similar experience. I'm having a hell of a time downloading all the Origin games. Updating the client helped but still having issues. Haven't made it to BF3 yet......

Iím not a fan of EA or Origin, I bought the Pack this past week for 1 dollars. It was pretty hard to pass up the deal for DS3. I wanted to play it Coop so it was worth it to give it a try. I was able to install three of those games without any issues at all. And we played it Coop, which was a lot of fun. Iím in no way defending Origin, but I did not have any of your issues. And neither did my friend.

It was hard to install anything on the first day of the sale, and maybe the day after, presumably due to all the people getting on board. I don't know if it's better now; I assume so, since you apparently had no problems.

55. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 13:29 Darks

walrus1 wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 13:13:
Having just bought the Origin Bundle, I can officially say Origin is complete and utter shit.

I had a very similar experience. I'm having a hell of a time downloading all the Origin games. Updating the client helped but still having issues. Haven't made it to BF3 yet......

Iím not a fan of EA or Origin, I bought the Pack this past week for 1 dollars. It was pretty hard to pass up the deal for DS3. I wanted to play it Coop so it was worth it to give it a try. I was able to install three of those games without any issues at all. And we played it Coop, which was a lot of fun. Iím in no way defending Origin, but I did not have any of your issues. And neither did my friend.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

54. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 13:29 Axis

Verno wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 13:18:
Axis wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 13:13:
Then again... I would never buy an ATI card, or even adopt Windows 7 quickly when this was released. Especially then when almost every game had Nvidia GPU's and WinXP in mind.

Most games had no issues with Windows 7 and they literally advertised AMD on the intro screen of the game. THQ was just shitty about the PC version, end of story.

Sometimes a refund is perfectly reasonable and Steam does not automatically provide them in all cases. I think this is a good step for the market in general, more rights for consumers with digital products instead of less is hard to argue against.

I can see where you're coming from. I just never trust anyone but myself to have the best chance at a working game which is why I still have and use my XP option to boot.

Yours truly,

Axis

53. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 13:26 El Pit

I somehow can't believe this. It sound too much like "no higher taxes" by some candidate weeks before an election. You just know this cannot be true.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

52. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 13:21 Kajetan

jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 13:01:
Still, it's a step in the right direction for EA. I guess it was forced by the awfulness that was SimCity.
No. It was forced by the fact that the marketshare of Origin compared to Steam is still microscopic small and tiny.

51. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 13:18 Verno

Axis wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 13:13:
Then again... I would never buy an ATI card, or even adopt Windows 7 quickly when this was released. Especially then when almost every game had Nvidia GPU's and WinXP in mind.

Most games had no issues with Windows 7 and they literally advertised AMD on the intro screen of the game. THQ was just shitty about the PC version, end of story.

Sometimes a refund is perfectly reasonable and Steam does not automatically provide them in all cases. I think this is a good step for the market in general, more rights for consumers with digital products instead of less is hard to argue against.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

50. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 13:13 walrus1

49. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 13:13 Axis

Verno wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 12:55:
jimnms wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 12:42:
This is great news, and I hope it pressures Steam to offer some sort of refund policy. Having a no refund policy is my biggest complaint about Steam, even though there are very few times I've wished I could get a refund on a Steam purchase. I was able to get a refund once, and that was for GTA IV. They basically said they would do it this one time as a courtesy, but don't expect to get a refund ever again. That was when I decided never to buy a new release from Steam. Most of my Steam games have been purchased from 3rd party sites mainly because of better deals. I figure if I'm stuck with it, I might as well pay less for it.

Yeah agreed. It's something I would rarely use but the few times I want to use it I really want a refund. I remember getting Red Faction Guerilla and the game turned out broken as shit on AMD cards and in Windows 7. No mention of it in early reviews and etc, publisher was totally uninterested in supporting it until well after release (took over a year). Steam refused the refund then finally granted it after additional whining with the caveat that it was a one time only thing. I think if you're going to sell something with an unreasonable deficiency then the onus on is on you, not the consumer.

Yours truly,

Axis

48. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 13:01 jdreyer

I'm reminded of when Chrysler offered 7 year / 100K mile warranties. It was better than everyone else's, but it didn't make up for the fact that they were shitty cars.

Still, it's a step in the right direction for EA. I guess it was forced by the awfulness that was SimCity.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

47. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 12:56 Axis

jimnms wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 12:52:

As soon as I saw I needed to download a browser plugin to run BF3, I knew these guys were complete amateurs. I'll run a shitty version of Steam (called "Origin) reluctantly, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna load more and more shit I don't need.

I uninstalled Origin immediately. I just never give a shit, I have too many hobbies to begin with -- easy uninstall.

The browser plugin is for BF3, it has nothing to do with the Origin client.
\

I know but since BF3 was the only game I needed Origin for, it was an easy decision to never use Origin again for any EA 'exclusives'.

Yours truly,

Axis

46. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 12:55 Verno

jimnms wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 12:42:
This is great news, and I hope it pressures Steam to offer some sort of refund policy. Having a no refund policy is my biggest complaint about Steam, even though there are very few times I've wished I could get a refund on a Steam purchase. I was able to get a refund once, and that was for GTA IV. They basically said they would do it this one time as a courtesy, but don't expect to get a refund ever again. That was when I decided never to buy a new release from Steam. Most of my Steam games have been purchased from 3rd party sites mainly because of better deals. I figure if I'm stuck with it, I might as well pay less for it.

Yeah agreed. It's something I would rarely use but the few times I want to use it I really want a refund. I remember getting Red Faction Guerilla and the game turned out broken as shit on AMD cards and in Windows 7. No mention of it in early reviews and etc, publisher was totally uninterested in supporting it until well after release (took over a year). Steam refused the refund then finally granted it after additional whining with the caveat that it was a one time only thing. I think if you're going to sell something with an unreasonable deficiency then the onus on is on you, not the consumer.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

45. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 12:52 jimnms

As soon as I saw I needed to download a browser plugin to run BF3, I knew these guys were complete amateurs. I'll run a shitty version of Steam (called "Origin) reluctantly, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna load more and more shit I don't need.

I uninstalled Origin immediately. I just never give a shit, I have too many hobbies to begin with -- easy uninstall.

The browser plugin is for BF3, it has nothing to do with the Origin client.

MeanJim on Steam

44. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 12:50 Axis

Refunds have been given for the games that deserved it on steam. Not many, but they've been warranted.

I hope steam never offers 'blanket' refunds, but keep doing as they have been for dishonest developers. Too many people who don't read or think before they buy stuff -- would just enable them more.

Yours truly,

Axis

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo