Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year?

Batman: Arkham Origins will not use Games for Windows Live, reports IGN, saying WBIE has confirmed that the new installment in the stealth/action series uses Steamworks for achievements and multiplayer support. There was no multiplayer in the first two games in the Arkham series, but they both used GFWL for achievement tracking. This news comes shortly after news that the Xbox.com PC Marketplace (formerly the Games for Windows LIVE Marketplace) will close this week, and word from Capcom that Ultra Street Fighter IV will likewise drop Games for Windows Live after using this on previous games including Super Street Fighter IV. On the heals of all this, Polygon reports on a now-removed support update from Microsoft that announced the Games for Windows Live service will end in July 2014. Here's what they report the update said:

Games for Windows Live will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. Although it is available through Steam, Age of Empires Online requires features of the Games for Windows Live service. You can continue to enjoy all the features of Age of Empires Online as the service will remain 100% operational until July 1, 2014 when the server will shut down.

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

31. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 08:43 ASeven

This is one of the very rare cases where piracy becomes a viable alternative to play the game you've paid for. I'm sure not all devs will patch GFWL out of their games and it's very likely that many games will become unsupported and unplayable.

MS has fucked up GFWL since day 1 and not even in closing down their service can they do anything right. Still, at least GFWL will be permanently gone so there's that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 08:40 Verno

I'm more worried about Dark Souls than I am about RFG.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

29. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 08:35 nin

BitWraith wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 08:21:
Batman: Arkham City requires GFWL for it's save games.

I suspect we'll see some patching. Or a shit riot, and then some patching.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

28. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 08:21 BitWraith

Batman: Arkham City requires GFWL for it's save games.  

27. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 08:19 HoSpanky

Nooooooo Red Faction Guerilla!  

26. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 07:15 Redmask

Ok it's your money to waste.  

25. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 06:36 Ladron3dfx

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 20:49:
So what happens to the games that require GFWL?

They become broken and worthless. All 73 games that require GFWL plus DLC. All of it goes to hell.

I will not install/use any pirate tool to make them function and replacing the DRM with Steamworks is out of the question.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2013, 06:48.

Steamworks

24. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 03:56 Julio

Total-Khaos wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 02:34:
I personally want just ONE place to get all my games, as do most people. Why do you think everyone despises Origin?

I would not want Steam to be that one place, nor would I only want one choice of gaming retailer. Gog is my online retailer of choice. One place to buy games means fewer sales, higher everyday prices, worse customer service, and more oppressive DRM.

23. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 03:17 InBlack

Total-Khaos wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 02:34:
MxxCon wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 02:09:
PC Market thrives on competition, not monopoly!

Sorry, I completely disagree. The PC market needs a monopoly to thrive. There are so many various combinations of PC hardware / software nowadays that it is getting really hard (and expensive) to support everything available to consumers. People love Steam because of the simple interface and the fact that most games are available on that digital distribution platform. I personally want just ONE place to get all my games, as do most people. Why do you think everyone despises Origin? Forcing people to use a digital distribution system to play your games instead of catering to the masses (Steam) was a really poor business decision and it just causes customer backlash. It is really no wonder why people are jumping from the PC ship.

You have no idea what drives growth and innovation do you?? You are wrong.

I have a nifty blue line!

22. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 03:13 Jerykk

Forcing people to use a digital distribution system to play your games instead of catering to the masses (Steam) was a really poor business decision and it just causes customer backlash. It is really no wonder why people are jumping from the PC ship.

Wait, what? Since when are people jumping from the PC ship? If anything, it's the exact opposite. PC gaming is only growing in popularity. More and more developers and publishers are supporting the platform and putting more effort into the games they release on it. They wouldn't be doing that if PC wasn't becoming more profitable.

21. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 03:08 MxxCon

Flo wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 03:04:
bigspender wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 02:50:
microsoft should just buy steam and make that the official game store. end of story. (provided they don't interfere with how things are) everyone would be a winnar.
+1
Right, Microsoft will want to allow continue the support of Linux and OSX gaming.
Right, Microsoft will want to allow continue of existence of a platform which they do not control when they invested $billions into xbox

You 2 are nearsighted idiots or trolls.

Go play consoles and stop coming to bluesnews!

20. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 03:04 Flo

bigspender wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 02:50:
microsoft should just buy steam and make that the official game store. end of story. (provided they don't interfere with how things are) everyone would be a winnar.
+1

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

19. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 02:50 bigspender

EDIT : what I came here to say - I'M SO HAPPY IF GFWL will be Games for Windows DEAD! w00t. even at the expense of possibly never being able to play any old game again its worth the sacrifice of not tarnishing new games with it!

18. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 02:46 MxxCon

Go play consoles then!  

17. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 02:34 Total-Khaos

MxxCon wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 02:09:

Sorry, I completely disagree. The PC market needs a monopoly to thrive. There are so many various combinations of PC hardware / software nowadays that it is getting really hard (and expensive) to support everything available to consumers. People love Steam because of the simple interface and the fact that most games are available on that digital distribution platform. I personally want just ONE place to get all my games, as do most people. Why do you think everyone despises Origin? Forcing people to use a digital distribution system to play your games instead of catering to the masses (Steam) was a really poor business decision and it just causes customer backlash. It is really no wonder why people are jumping from the PC ship.

16. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 02:09 MxxCon

Flo wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 02:05:
I'll say it again: The new guy MS hired from Valve should just tell them to make Steam a first class citizen on windows! Make a deal with Valve, ship it with windows update! All the bad press about win 8 will just fade away
Horrible idea!
Steam is too big as it is!
Microsoft should make a standard API where various digital distribution services can simply plug in and provide a unified interface to everything that steam/origin/uplay/gog/greenman are offering.
That way it doesn't matter where you bought the game from, it will work the same way.
Just like it doesn't matter if you bought physical game from bestbuy or walmart or gamestop or whatever other retailer there is.

15. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 02:05 Flo

I'll say it again: The new guy MS hired from Valve should just tell them to make Steam a first class citizen on windows! Make a deal with Valve, ship it with windows update! All the bad press about win 8 will just fade away  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

14. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 01:43 Kajetan

Die already, die, die!!

*firing round after round in GFWLs rotting flesh*

13. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 19, 2013, 23:20 Jerykk

GFWL dying is great in the long-term but crappy for the short-term. Multiplayer and online features will be permanently broken. Games that require GFWL activations will be broken. Games that use DLC from the GFWL Marketplace will no longer be able to access that DLC because you have to use an online profile to buy DLC and the DLC is forever linked to that profile, which won't be useable offline. Any saves you have with your online profiles won't be useable with your offline profiles either.

There's evidence to suggest that GFWL is going to be replaced by Steamworks in Bioshock 2, Arkham City and Arkham Asylum but I don't think most publishers are going to bother changing anything in their old GFWL games.

12. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 19, 2013, 22:59 entr0py

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 21:34:
ViRGE wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 21:15:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 20:49:
So what happens to the games that require GFWL?
It would be equivalent to playing them offline, I'd assume.

Some game required it be installed and working. Online no matter.

I really don't think there are any single player games where GFWL requires an online connection, you just have to make an offline profile for each game (an option that's easy to miss).

Not sure what multi-player titles are effected, but I imagine they're screwed. Unless, like with dawn of war II, the developers care enough to patch in a replacement for GFWL.

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo