Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay

NCSOFT announces a hybrid business model for WildStar, the upcoming science fiction MMORPG from Carbine Studios, saying it will support subscriptions as well as the ability to buy game time from other players. There's more on this on the WildStar blog along with a Business Model FAQ. Here's the announcement:

BRIGHTON, UK – 19 AUGUST, 2013: NCSOFT® and Carbine Studios today revealed initial details on the business model for WildStar, the much anticipated sci-fi MMO, outlining the different ways players can embark on their planetary adventure when it’s released in spring of 2014.

Upon purchasing WildStar through a retail outlet or digital download, players will receive 30 days free game time, plus three guest passes to give to friends for a week of galactic adventure. Players can then either opt to pay a standard monthly subscription, purchase a Game Time card, or use gold earned in-game to purchase C.R.E.D.D. from other players and avoid paying a subscription fee altogether.

C.R.E.D.D. (also known as a Certificate of Research, Exploration, Destruction and Development) is an in-game item that can be redeemed for game time. Players can sell C.R.E.D.D. to each other for gold in-game through each server’s Commodities Exchange at a rate established by the player community. C.R.E.D.D. can also be purchased for real money online at www.WildStar-Online.com. This model provides players multiple options for access to play – through a traditional MMO subscription or a ’play to pay’ approach.

“Gamers have strong opinions when it comes to business models and monetisation in MMO games”, said Jeremy Gaffney, executive producer at Carbine Studios. ”In combining a classic subscription model with C.R.E.D.D. we think we’ve struck a good balance. We definitely want to support players who appreciate the value of high-quality subscription-style game. Meanwhile, C.R.E.D.D. gives gamers who don’t like monthly subs the option to just play to pay and enjoy the same content”.

WildStar will be playable on the show floor at gamescom in Cologne, Germany, 21st -25th August and at PAX Prime in Seattle, USA, 29th August - 2nd September.

For more information on the business model, check out Executive Producer Jeremy Gaffney’s blog post here: www.WildStar-Online.com. An FAQ has also been added to the WildStar website.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 20, 2013, 12:43 Axis

Right now game is not something I'd waste my time playing. Standard MMO fare but without ANY leveling options. Loot and some other options at first appears interesting, then you figure it out pretty quickly it's not.

On-rails and not much different from anything else out there, easy pass right now.

Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 20, 2013, 12:15 HorrorScope

ViRGE wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 12:06:
I don't know why everyone is being so down on this being a subscription game. We need more subscription games. Right now the feedback developers are getting from fickle gamers is that they need to create more P2W games, which leads to gameplay coming second so that nickle & diming can come first.

More commenting on the state of the industry. Trying to get an initial buy from a lot of gamers for a mmo is now a tough sell. You best be like a WoW/EQ/GW/ESO. I could be wrong.

14. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 20, 2013, 12:06 ViRGE

I don't know why everyone is being so down on this being a subscription game. We need more subscription games. Right now the feedback developers are getting from fickle gamers is that they need to create more P2W games, which leads to gameplay coming second so that nickle & diming can come first.  

13. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 20, 2013, 10:53 HorrorScope

OldTimber wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 02:11:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 20:51:
The have balls coming out with a pay to play game.
Yes why pay for something to further development and additions to it. I'm all for p2p games as it keeps the asshats out of them.

I prefer subs to... but I'm just saying there game isn't in that big of a demand to think they can sell it upfront. I still want to see a FTS, free to sub, try it for free, if you like it you then sub. Then I don't have to think others are buying their way to the top, nor feel I'm getting nickle/dimed/short-cutted to have a need to by cash shop items. $10-$15 a month for a game I want to play is nothing. My guess is they have programmed FTP in it as well. So they'll get the $50 for those willing to buy it upfront and 3-6 months down the road they'll kick in the FTP to get the rest of world to try.

Also to the comment or wait 6 months and pay $20 for FTP. Well FTP you pay nothing up front. So imo wait 6 months for FTP.

12. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 20, 2013, 07:08 NKD

Yes why pay for something to further development and additions to it. I'm all for p2p games as it keeps the asshats out of them.

Subscription cost sure kept the asshats out of World of Warcraft. Oh, wait, the asshats are all that's left in World of Warcraft.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 20, 2013, 06:38 .Drifter

Harrowing wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 04:35:

Because you seem like a really nice fellow and I can't wait to play games with you.

To be fair, in most of the p2p games I've played that have converted to f2p, zone/area chats have gone massively downhill.
Like, going from conversations about the game or other somewhat content related stuff, to pure idiocy.
Well, with the exception of WoW. That game always had idiocy in chat.

10. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 20, 2013, 04:35 Harrowing

Because you seem like a really nice fellow and I can't wait to play games with you.

9. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 20, 2013, 03:03 Theo

game time for in game creds works in eve, but part of that reason is money gets taken out of the games economy everyday when someones ship goes boom. not sure how that will pan out for them in a theame park that most likely going to have massive inflation (unless they have some really good money sinks).

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

8. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 20, 2013, 02:11 OldTimber

7. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 20, 2013, 01:34 Agent.X7

Wait for 6 months until the game is $20 and has gone free to play.

On second thought, this game looks dumb anyway. Why bother.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

6. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 20, 2013, 00:58 Genesys

Graham wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 23:55:
Cutter wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 22:39:
Yeah, this'll last all of a month.
This seems overly optimistic.
Remember, you get 30 days of game time when you initially buy it :)

5. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 19, 2013, 23:55 Graham

Cutter wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 22:39:
This seems overly optimistic.

4. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 19, 2013, 23:11 OpticNerve

Ouch.

I don't think this was a smart move on their part. It works for EVE because it's a niche MMO unlike any other whereas Wildstar (while having some neat features) is primarily a traditional fantasy MMORPG.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

3. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 19, 2013, 22:39 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

2. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 19, 2013, 21:06 ViRGE

They have balls to copy EVE-Online's PLEX model, too. It works very well for EVE, but it's a big gamble on something that isn't a niche game. So it will be interesting to see how their CREDD system pans out.

1. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 19, 2013, 20:51 HorrorScope

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo