Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

X Rebirth Preorders

Steam News announces that Valve is now accepting pre-purchases of X Rebirth, offering a 10% discount on this advance commitment to EGOSOFT's space combat sequel:

X Rebirth represents a spectacular new beginning for the X series, offering loyal fans and newcomers alike a vast, vivid and extremely detailed universe to explore throughout the game. Varied gameplay elements such as action-packed space combat, detailed trading mechanics and high-speed space exploration with fast travel allow players to experience a truly unique space saga that will keep them hooked for dozens of hours. X Rebirth features a whole new user experience - it is easier than ever to start with, and remains as deep as fans expect it.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

21. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 11:24 eRe4s3r

You know, the videos look interesting but not interesting enough to warrant a preorder...... show us some real gameplay footage and then maybe.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 11:24 ItBurn

Slashman wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:09:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 10:51:
The X games are in no way mainstream... I'm not saying they're not profitable, but they're made for a small section of the hardcore gamer population... Sure, lots of people like them... All I said is that a lot of other sandbox games have that "spark" that X lacks, for me. If you don't like X, it doesn't mean you don't like sandbox games.

X3 has it's share of problems, but most of them are a result of engine limitations. There were simply things that the AI could not do that the player could and the fact the games were using the same engine since X-BTF really began to hinder them once Terran Conflict came out.

I just don't agree that the key to a great sandbox experience is hand-holding. Yes, the tutorial sucked. I freely admit it. And yes, some mechanics were downright odd. Still, the game had more options and ways to make it in the universe than any other game of it's type out there.

For a sandbox game to be good, doesn't mean you have to have a forced plot and unlocks tied exclusively to that plot. Which is what they are doing in Rebirth. It will still likely be a great game, but I'm not happy with a single ship that you can never change in appearance and a linear plot with a linear upgrade path for said ship.

I absolutely in no way ever said that good sandbox games need hand holding!!! You misunderstood.

19. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 11:22 dj LiTh

I'm also looking forward to this, although ya i agree there probably will be bugs but i'm sure they will be patched. Also it will be interesting all the mods that come out for it.

I've played X3 for hundreds of hours and i dont think i did the campaign/tutorial once past like the 3rd mission or so. As for combat i almost always went the cockpit general way and just sat back and gave orders and watched the ensuing light show. Good fun.

18. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 11:15 Creston

Slashman wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:09:
For a sandbox game to be good, doesn't mean you have to have a forced plot and unlocks tied exclusively to that plot. Which is what they are doing in Rebirth. It will still likely be a great game, but I'm not happy with a single ship that you can never change in appearance and a linear plot with a linear upgrade path for said ship.

Yeah that's not my biggest thrill either, but oh well. I'll just dash through the plot to get my sandbox back.

At least the engine looks amazing, so their next X game will probably get back to us being allowed to pilot more stuff.

17. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 11:09 Slashman

The X games are in no way mainstream... I'm not saying they're not profitable, but they're made for a small section of the hardcore gamer population... Sure, lots of people like them... All I said is that a lot of other sandbox games have that "spark" that X lacks, for me. If you don't like X, it doesn't mean you don't like sandbox games.

X3 has it's share of problems, but most of them are a result of engine limitations. There were simply things that the AI could not do that the player could and the fact the games were using the same engine since X-BTF really began to hinder them once Terran Conflict came out.

I just don't agree that the key to a great sandbox experience is hand-holding. Yes, the tutorial sucked. I freely admit it. And yes, some mechanics were downright odd. Still, the game had more options and ways to make it in the universe than any other game of it's type out there.

16. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 11:05 Creston

yuastnav wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 10:54:
Oh dear, I remember the X3 launch.
It was supposed to come out on a Friday, which it did. I also got my copy on that particular day.
Some of us received it on Thursday, though, so a day before. And from what they told us the game was pretty much unplayable since you couldn't even leave the first sector.

Yep. Thanks Deep Silver!

An even more annoying bug was the one that turned the entire universe into a slideshow basically about 12-15 hours in. No matter how powerful your PC =. They finally tracked that down to having something to do with the storyline's cutscenes. Ugh, that thing was so fucking irritating.

Luckily Egosoft released a patch very quickly, on the following Saturday if I am not mistaken. Most developers aren't that enthusiastic.

They didn't really have much of a choice. They were already suffering pretty badly from Deep Silver's inclusion of Starforce, and their release on Steam wasn't really well received either (Edit: Actually not sure if they released X3 on Steam, or if it was Terran Conflict that first saw a Steam release.). I have no idea how many people actually went through with their threat of boycotts, but thousands of people were complaining about it on their forums. (And these were some of their most hardcore fans, too.)

To let the game languish as it did would have basically spelled the end for them. However, Ego has always been great about both patching and updating their games, even years after release. No developer has better community support than they do.

I just hope that the same thing won't happen to X Rebirth although the launch of X3 Terran Conflict went pretty smoothly, if I remember correctly.

Both Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude were smooth launches, though they really were just expansion packs for X3, so that was probably to be expected.

I'm sure Rebirth will have plenty of bugs in it. Hopefully they won't be game killers, but it's possible they will be. If you want a stable game out of the box, wait a few months to pick it up. Egosoft WILL patch it. You never have to worry about that with them.

15. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 11:01 ItBurn

Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 10:59:

I didn't say that. All I'm saying is that if you personally don't like the X games, that doesn't mean that

A) Most people don't like them
B) There are no incentives to play it.

I fully understand that it's not a game for everyone. It doesn't hold your hand (though apparently Rebirth is going to do a much better job of introducing everything through story missions), everything is basically activated right from the start (with the one exception of Khaak capital ships, but that's solely because the AI can't kill them, and they didn't want all their sectors being wiped out by the Khaak right at the bat), and it does basically say "Here's a massive universe. Do what you want," which can be pretty overwhelming.

But that's due to personal preference, not really any fundamental flaw with the game itself. Egosoft means it when they say "we make a universe. You get to decide what you want to do it." Lots of people love that, others don't.

I think the X series genuinely qualifies as a "sandbox", rather than most open-world games where things are still structured to an extent.

I agree with everything, BUT, I do think that most people don't like them :p

14. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 10:59 Creston

I didn't say that. All I'm saying is that if you personally don't like the X games, that doesn't mean that

A) Most people don't like them
B) There are no incentives to play it.

I fully understand that it's not a game for everyone. It doesn't hold your hand (though apparently Rebirth is going to do a much better job of introducing everything through story missions), everything is basically activated right from the start (with the one exception of Khaak capital ships, but that's solely because the AI can't kill them, and they didn't want all their sectors being wiped out by the Khaak right at the bat), and it does basically say "Here's a massive universe. Do what you want," which can be pretty overwhelming.

But that's due to personal preference, not really any fundamental flaw with the game itself. Egosoft means it when they say "we make a universe. You get to decide what you want to do it." Lots of people love that, others don't.

I think the X series genuinely qualifies as a "sandbox", rather than most open-world games where things are still structured to an extent.

13. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 10:54 yuastnav

Oh dear, I remember the X3 launch.
It was supposed to come out on a Friday, which it did. I also got my copy on that particular day.
Some of us received it on Thursday, though, so a day before. And from what they told us the game was pretty much unplayable since you couldn't even leave the first sector.

Luckily Egosoft released a patch very quickly, on the following Saturday if I am not mistaken. Most developers aren't that enthusiastic.
Piranha Bytes took a week or so to fix a simple bug in Risen that caused lighting glitches on some GeForce 7xxx cards.

I just hope that the same thing won't happen to X Rebirth although the launch of X3 Terran Conflict went pretty smoothly, if I remember correctly.

12. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 10:51 ItBurn

Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 10:39:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:55:
The X games have never been engaging to me, and most people either. It's hard to put the finger on why that is. I think it might be the lack of direction and incentives.

Yeah, that's not the way it is for "most people", seeing as how Egosoft sells several million copies of each iteration. And those millions of people have no problem with X not being engaging, or with your perceived "lack of incentives."

InBlack wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:58:
Thats not the point, the point being that the games in question had some of the worst unintuitive design and were user unfriendly and buggy to boot. You didnt even have the chance to 'sandbox' before being lost in all the intricate crap the games bombarded you with.

Yeah, again, not really. You absolutely have every chance to "sandbox" before you get bombarded with crap. The universe is actually moving without you, so this "crap" you are referring to is just things happening inside the universe. It doesn't just spawn a few stations and ships just as you happen to come across them. That's kind of the whole big selling point of the X series.

As for buggy, sure. X3 especially was terrible at launch, but their day 1 patch fixed the most egregious problems. Most open-world games of this scale tend to have issues with them.

11. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 10:39 Creston

ItBurn wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:55:
The X games have never been engaging to me, and most people either. It's hard to put the finger on why that is. I think it might be the lack of direction and incentives.

Yeah, that's not the way it is for "most people", seeing as how Egosoft sells several million copies of each iteration. And those millions of people have no problem with X not being engaging, or with your perceived "lack of incentives."

InBlack wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:58:
Thats not the point, the point being that the games in question had some of the worst unintuitive design and were user unfriendly and buggy to boot. You didnt even have the chance to 'sandbox' before being lost in all the intricate crap the games bombarded you with.

Yeah, again, not really. You absolutely have every chance to "sandbox" before you get bombarded with crap. The universe is actually moving without you, so this "crap" you are referring to is just things happening inside the universe. It doesn't just spawn a few stations and ships just as you happen to come across them. That's kind of the whole big selling point of the X series.

As for buggy, sure. X3 especially was terrible at launch, but their day 1 patch fixed the most egregious problems. Most open-world games of this scale tend to have issues with them.

10. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 10:26 Drayth

They're using a different pathing system (I'm sure most of us have seen the youtube vid), so I'm hoping that results in better combat.  

9. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 10:17 InBlack

The main thing that worries me is combat. The earlier games were pretty to look at and once you managed to learn their systems quite deep in almost every regard, except for the combat which was somehow terrible. I hope they managed to get the combat and feel of the ships to a more X-Wing or Freespace level...  

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 09:58 InBlack

Slashman wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:30:
nin wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:23:
Techie714 wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:18:
I always wanted to get into the X games but every time I booted up I was like "Ok what the hell do I do now?"

Exactly.

I always thought that the point of sandbox games was that you do whatever the hell you felt like doing. There is no 'right way' to start. Why does that scare people? You're supposed to discover stuff.

With that said they have already stated that this new game was built with a philosophy of gradually allowing the player to get accustomed to the ship/universe and it should be quite a departure from the last two in that regard.

Im usually against preorders, but had they made the incentive a bit better than the 10% discount I would definitely be tempted.

I have a nifty blue line!

7. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 09:56 yuastnav

Done. Looking forward to it.
Bought it from the Egosoft shop.

For some reason the EU version costs 45 Euro while the non-EU one costs 35... :/

6. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 09:55 ItBurn

Slashman wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:30:
I always wanted to get into the X games but every time I booted up I was like "Ok what the hell do I do now?"

Exactly.

I always thought that the point of sandbox games was that you do whatever the hell you felt like doing. There is no 'right way' to start. Why does that scare people? You're supposed to discover stuff.

Trust me, there are engaging sandbox games and ones that aren't. STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl was great / STALKER: Clear Skies sucked. Pirates of the Carribean was great / Age of pirates - Carribean tales sucked. Etc... The X games have never been engaging to me, and most people either. It's hard to put the finger on why that is. I think it might be the lack of direction and incentives.

5. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 09:30 Slashman

Exactly.

4. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 09:27 SpectralMeat

Exactly.

I kinda feel that way about the Anno series

Steam: SpectralMeat

3. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 09:23 nin

Exactly.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 09:18 Techie714

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo