Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

X Rebirth Preorders

Steam News announces that Valve is now accepting pre-purchases of X Rebirth, offering a 10% discount on this advance commitment to EGOSOFT's space combat sequel:

X Rebirth represents a spectacular new beginning for the X series, offering loyal fans and newcomers alike a vast, vivid and extremely detailed universe to explore throughout the game. Varied gameplay elements such as action-packed space combat, detailed trading mechanics and high-speed space exploration with fast travel allow players to experience a truly unique space saga that will keep them hooked for dozens of hours. X Rebirth features a whole new user experience - it is easier than ever to start with, and remains as deep as fans expect it.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

41. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 17:44 Talisorn

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd love to have a client/server version of this that would allow you to play with friends. I don't want an MMO. Just a up-to-12-player game that I can get my usual group of teamspeak buddies into.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 14:18 Cutter

Brass monkey! That funky monkey! What do the Beasties have to do with X Rebirth? Not a damn thing, that song has been in my head all day.

Anyway, much as the vids for this look effing amazing I'll need to see some reviews on this first to make sure it's not a clusterfudge.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

39. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 14:08 ItBurn

Orogogus wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 13:45:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 13:35:
The problem with multiplayer is that it's more work... More work on multiplayer means less features. Also, making a game work in multiplayer can negatively affect the gameplay and prevent some features. I for one think that single player games should stay single player and multiplayer games should stay multiplayer.

Well, that's hard to say. While complaints about tacked on game modes are often true, Star Control I was a multiplayer skirmish game, and then SC2 came out of nowhere with a great single player RPG. Wolfenstein 3D was obviously ready to go multiplayer as soon as the technology got there, and people seem to have enjoyed System Shock 2's co-op well enough.

There have absolutely been hybrids where both modes were awesome(I'm thinking the build engine games), but I can't help to think of what "could" have been.

38. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 13:45 Orogogus

The problem with multiplayer is that it's more work... More work on multiplayer means less features. Also, making a game work in multiplayer can negatively affect the gameplay and prevent some features. I for one think that single player games should stay single player and multiplayer games should stay multiplayer.

Well, that's hard to say. While complaints about tacked on game modes are often true, Star Control I was a multiplayer skirmish game, and then SC2 came out of nowhere with a great single player RPG. Wolfenstein 3D was obviously ready to go multiplayer as soon as the technology got there, and people seem to have enjoyed System Shock 2's co-op well enough.

37. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 13:40 Parias

Now this I can understand - thank you. Doesn't stop me from wishing for it though... I would easily buy one of the X games twice if it meant I could play co-operatively with a friend.

36. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 13:35 ItBurn

35. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 13:35 Orogogus

Doesn't X3 have time compression? Like, Elite had system-to-system jumps only between Lagrange points, so you had to acc/dec your way to whatever planet/moon/station you wanted to get to, and that could take weeks or months -- hence time compression. I don't think X3 is set up the same way, but my impression was that it still had a time compression feature, and if it's crucial to gameplay then I imagine that rules out multiplayer.  

34. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 13:33 dj LiTh

Going multiplayer i would think you would almost HAVE to only play with your friends otherwise how would you agree when and how long you change the game time (forgot its name) apparatus for full speed. And to play without it, well that would indeed take a long long long time.  

33. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 13:32 Drayth

Aren't the later X games mod'able? Anyone try to mod in Co-Op? or is it just not *that* mod'able?

Speaking of - I've noted over the years that it sounds like the devlopers will incorporate some of the better mods into their own patches, but are there any outstanding "must have" mods to look for still?

32. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 13:29 jacobvandy

People with "taking my ball and going home" syndrome are free to stay offline... That's not a good reason to not have a multiplayer mode.  

31. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 13:24 Wildone

Ah well you could just go back to some top down RTS space game while the rest of us enjoy something next gen. Im sure your 'pass' really wont make a difference. Cya.  

30. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 13:17 Parias

Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 12:57:
The reason the community is against multiplayer is that X is very much a game about ownership. A lot of players build massive complexes in space that take dozens, if not hundreds, of hours to set up and get their trade routes optimized.

Playing mp would mean some shitheel can come into your universe and blow up all your shit.

I wouldn't want to play online against random pubbies - I'm just talking about putting private LAN play into the game so we can play it when I take my PC over to my buddy's place every weekend. We've have more than enough to do co-operatively in an NPC-filled universe. Is this really the main reason the community is so against the concept?

29. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 12:57 Creston

The reason the community is against multiplayer is that X is very much a game about ownership. A lot of players build massive complexes in space that take dozens, if not hundreds, of hours to set up and get their trade routes optimized.

Playing mp would mean some shitheel can come into your universe and blow up all your shit.

Ego's been working on and off on X-Online, but I don't think it's ever really going anywhere. It's just a single player game.

28. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 12:53 Parias

Gadzooks wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 12:39:
I think this could be the X game Ive been waiting for... glad its finally here. The only thing it seems to be missing is the ability to play co-op.

Yeah - for some bizarre reason the community is vehemently against any kind of multiplayer in the X-Universe games. Not sure why as being able to team up with a friend in the prior games would have been totally awesome. You wouldn't have to change much of the gameplay - just give me and my friend the same persistent universe to tromp around in so I could sit on the bridge of my capital ship and bark orders while my friend launches in a fighter wing and zips around, or things like that...

Sigh, guess I'll have to wait until Star Citizen.

27. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 12:53 Creston

Drayth wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 12:11:
I was a little dissapointed to follow a freighter through a jump gate and not see it on the other side, so some things are being spawned on the fly... at least they stay persistant within the sector. Kinda neat to see the Pheonix roaming around that first sector you start in.

No, they don't spawn on the fly. But the second a frigate jumps out of your sector, it gets handed off to OOS (Out of Sector) controls, at which point if you don't have anything to see the "fog of war" on the other side of the gate, it simply stays in that sector for a designated amount of time, and then heads off into the next sector. The game does that to save itself computational time.

If you put a sattelite grid in every sector so that you can see all the gates, the ship would simply pop up on the other side and continue its journey. Doing this to every sector noticeably slows the game down because then it has to keep accurate tracking of every ship in the universe.

Edit: Didn't see you were talking about the very first X game. I don't know how it works in X and XBTF, to be honest. From X2 and on, it works the way I describe above.

Btw, if you want to catch up on the story, it's perfectly fine to start with X3. Not a whole lot happens storywise in X, XBTF and X2, to be honest.

26. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 12:39 Gadzooks

I think this could be the X game Ive been waiting for... glad its finally here. The only thing it seems to be missing is the ability to play co-op.  

25. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 12:22 Parias

Drayth wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 12:11:
I was a little dissapointed to follow a freighter through a jump gate and not see it on the other side, so some things are being spawned on the fly...

Really? It should be tracking them between sectors - each NPC ship should be persistent. Unless that was a limitation of the first X game I've forgotten about.

24. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 12:11 Drayth

I've actually been sitting on an X bundle I bought a while back and have all the games up till now. After seeing the Rebirth trailer I decided to get into it.. so I'm actually playing the very first X game to just burn through the story.

I'm surprised how into it I am for such an ancient game and asking myself why I didn't take the plunge sooner. I guess it's always been just that.. "Here's a ship, now off you go!" factor that's seemed too daunting. Didn't take long to get the hang of the game though.

And yeah, I didn't expect the economy to be dynamic like it is in this early a game, but the universe is trading goods without my intervening.

I was a little dissapointed to follow a freighter through a jump gate and not see it on the other side, so some things are being spawned on the fly... at least they stay persistant within the sector. Kinda neat to see the Pheonix roaming around that first sector you start in.

Kamikazi Xenon are not fun though (I know they fixed that behaviour in X2).

23. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 11:47 dj LiTh

Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:29:
dj LiTh wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:22:
I'm also looking forward to this, although ya i agree there probably will be bugs but i'm sure they will be patched. Also it will be interesting all the mods that come out for it.

I've played X3 for hundreds of hours and i dont think i did the campaign/tutorial once past like the 3rd mission or so. As for combat i almost always went the cockpit general way and just sat back and gave orders and watched the ensuing light show. Good fun.

One of the coolest things to do is to bring your carrier with 40 M3s, jump into a pirate sector and just tell your guys "Kill."

Not the most economical thing to do (those M3s, fully kitted out, cost about 4 million credits a piece, and you tend to lose at least 10 or so), but wiping half a hundred pirate scum out of the universe brings much much joy. And like you said, it's SO pretty to watch.

Absolutely, i forgot the names as its been years but i installed some mods that allowed you the take 'ownership' of a sector and actually have fluid wars with the major factions all attacking/defending and claiming ownership of new territory, was a total blast taking on major wars :), really hoping its natively in the game or a mod will follow soon that will enable such gameplay.

22. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 11:29 Creston

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:22:
I'm also looking forward to this, although ya i agree there probably will be bugs but i'm sure they will be patched. Also it will be interesting all the mods that come out for it.

I've played X3 for hundreds of hours and i dont think i did the campaign/tutorial once past like the 3rd mission or so. As for combat i almost always went the cockpit general way and just sat back and gave orders and watched the ensuing light show. Good fun.

One of the coolest things to do is to bring your carrier with 40 M3s, jump into a pirate sector and just tell your guys "Kill."

Not the most economical thing to do (those M3s, fully kitted out, cost about 4 million credits a piece, and you tend to lose at least 10 or so), but wiping half a hundred pirate scum out of the universe brings much much joy. And like you said, it's SO pretty to watch.

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo