Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

X Rebirth Preorders

Steam News announces that Valve is now accepting pre-purchases of X Rebirth, offering a 10% discount on this advance commitment to EGOSOFT's space combat sequel:

X Rebirth represents a spectacular new beginning for the X series, offering loyal fans and newcomers alike a vast, vivid and extremely detailed universe to explore throughout the game. Varied gameplay elements such as action-packed space combat, detailed trading mechanics and high-speed space exploration with fast travel allow players to experience a truly unique space saga that will keep them hooked for dozens of hours. X Rebirth features a whole new user experience - it is easier than ever to start with, and remains as deep as fans expect it.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

61. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 22, 2013, 01:20 Creston

Preordered directly from Egosoft. More money in their pockets.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 20, 2013, 21:40 Creston

They're keeping the same scripting language (though more advanced and powerful), so I imagine it'll take less than a week before someone has a rudimentary gamestart without plot created, and about another week before there's a buggy alpha version of a "Fly anything" mod.

59. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 20, 2013, 21:08 D4rkKnight

These other ships would still have normal flight characteristics though...how many days after it is released until you can fly every ship with no cockpit (and upgrades?) through mods?

I would think the other craft still fly normally and would be enjoyable, they should just give us that feature to begin with but I think they are afraid it will look tacky.

58. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 20, 2013, 16:15 Creston

gray wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 07:38:
You can VR-pilot your other ships just not huge mega-carriers according to their forums because that makes no sense, which I agree with.

I'm happy they are taking this direction it should interesting to watch, it allows us to wander around our ship and have a level of immersion that wouldn't have been possible otherwise (team is too small to model all ship interiors).

Being able to actually walk into and out of the Albion looks fantastic. I think it'll get boring eventually, but it does look awesome.

57. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 20, 2013, 15:13 dj LiTh

gray wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 07:38:
You can VR-pilot your other ships just not huge mega-carriers according to their forums because that makes no sense, which I agree with.

I'm happy they are taking this direction it should interesting to watch, it allows us to wander around our ship and have a level of immersion that wouldn't have been possible otherwise (team is too small to model all ship interiors).

From what i've read that the egosoft people have wrote, that VR element is how you control drones. Nowhere could i find them saying that applied to ships other then drones.

56. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 20, 2013, 07:51 yuastnav

For me the idea of flying a M2 was really awesome but once I actually was in one of those things it got boring pretty quickly and I realised that, at least for me, it is much more fun to get a M6/M7 and command everything from that ship.
It would be sturdy enough to not go down immediately when attacked and was fast and maneuverable enough to get around the galaxy.
That's why I am not really going to be bothered about not being able to fly other ships though I have to admit that I will the dogfights I had in my M3 Nova. :/

Oh well, I am staying optimistic.

55. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 20, 2013, 07:38 gray

54. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 20, 2013, 06:19 InBlack

Well everyone else is doing it, and there is a first time for everything. Also 3d cockpits, and ship interiors cost money to produce.  

I have a nifty blue line!

53. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 20, 2013, 05:42 yuastnav

InBlack wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 04:01:
Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 01:20:
No, you're not wrong. You pilot the Albion and drones, and that's it. You get to upgrade the Albion to an absurd degree, apparently (Ego is talking about it getting around fifty times more powerful between start and finish), but while you can own other ships and bring them with you, you can't actually physically fly them.

I assume they did it for sake of their story or something. (Or, if I wanted to be cynical, they did it in response to pilot complaining about no cockpit view in X3 and on. Now they give you a beautifully detailed cockpit, but only that one ship to fly...)

I can see why people would find it very disappointing. The ability to fly basically anything with an engine was always a major selling point of the X series. I'm not that terribly bothered by it myself, because I always wound up in an M6 anyway (best combo between firepower and usability), and really only ever piloted an M2 or M1 if I was attacking a sector for shits and giggles.

Also prepare for DLC to be 'flyable' ships. Its the name of the game baby.

Oh come on, we're talking about Egosoft.

I don't think I've ever seen a company with better post-launch support for their games.
It's mind-blowing how many patches and how much content they released for X2, X3 etc... years after it came out... FOR FREE.

52. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 20, 2013, 04:01 InBlack

Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 01:20:
No, you're not wrong. You pilot the Albion and drones, and that's it. You get to upgrade the Albion to an absurd degree, apparently (Ego is talking about it getting around fifty times more powerful between start and finish), but while you can own other ships and bring them with you, you can't actually physically fly them.

I assume they did it for sake of their story or something. (Or, if I wanted to be cynical, they did it in response to pilot complaining about no cockpit view in X3 and on. Now they give you a beautifully detailed cockpit, but only that one ship to fly...)

I can see why people would find it very disappointing. The ability to fly basically anything with an engine was always a major selling point of the X series. I'm not that terribly bothered by it myself, because I always wound up in an M6 anyway (best combo between firepower and usability), and really only ever piloted an M2 or M1 if I was attacking a sector for shits and giggles.

Also prepare for DLC to be 'flyable' ships. Its the name of the game baby.

I have a nifty blue line!

51. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 20, 2013, 01:20 Creston

50. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 23:20 dj LiTh

Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 22:55:
dj LiTh wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 20:12:
Thats the name of it! Couldnt think of it for the life of me, been too long. Wow though, not sure how i feel about that...mixed feelings for sure.

SETA existed because the previous X games had sectors that were massively empty boxes with a few factories in them. If you tried to fly normal speed between 2 fabs, it'd take for freaking ever, especially if you were in a TS or something, with a max speed of 70.

The new one has pretty full sectors and then hyper-highways connecting them (basically a la Freelancer), so there's really no need for them anymore. Also, while time sped up to X10, the AI had to do everything at ten times the speed, which made pathfinding a royal nightmare.

They've put in a far more sophisticated pathfinding system this time around, but yeah, at speed X10 that would likely cause every AI ship to crash into one of those space cities.

I don't think SETA is necessary anymore, based on what I've seen and read about Rebirth. There's just not that much dead travelling time anymore.

I could get behind that, but the 1 ship / drone mechanic is troubling. From what i've gathered you CAN pilot other ships (drones) but thats all i could figure out from interviews and FAQ's. I like the idea of walking around ships and capital ships, sounds good, but not being able to pilot (or VR-pilot) a ship other then a drone sounds like a major step back to me. I hope i'm wrong and i'm just missing something

49. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 22:55 Creston

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 20:12:
Thats the name of it! Couldnt think of it for the life of me, been too long. Wow though, not sure how i feel about that...mixed feelings for sure.

SETA existed because the previous X games had sectors that were massively empty boxes with a few factories in them. If you tried to fly normal speed between 2 fabs, it'd take for freaking ever, especially if you were in a TS or something, with a max speed of 70.

The new one has pretty full sectors and then hyper-highways connecting them (basically a la Freelancer), so there's really no need for them anymore. Also, while time sped up to X10, the AI had to do everything at ten times the speed, which made pathfinding a royal nightmare.

They've put in a far more sophisticated pathfinding system this time around, but yeah, at speed X10 that would likely cause every AI ship to crash into one of those space cities.

I don't think SETA is necessary anymore, based on what I've seen and read about Rebirth. There's just not that much dead travelling time anymore.

48. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 20:39 Slashman

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 20:22:
Hmmm ok so after reading a bit about it (i pretty much knew nothing except for a few vids i watched), i'm worried now....

Only 1 ship, you cant change ships....at all.... WTF?

More emphasis on drones, mining drones, combat drones....um this doesnt sound good either. If i want to pilot a fast fighter then thats what i want to do...

Space highways, is replacing SETA which i'm ok with, but have questions about hauling stuff, but since i guess you prolly wont be doing that yourself anymore?? its ok?

Hmmm...kind of depressed about the 1 ship thing tbh..

I'm not thrilled about the one ship idea myself. While it may have been too much to be able to fly every single ship in the game, I don't know why they didn't at least have a few different choices for the player ship.

47. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 20:37 eRe4s3r

Wildone wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 13:24:
Ah well you could just go back to some top down RTS space game while the rest of us enjoy something next gen. Im sure your 'pass' really wont make a difference. Cya.

Oh so you are one of THOSE...

You still pre-order games sight unseen? No actual non interrupted gameplay was shown in the vids so far and that is always a bad sign.

46. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 20:22 dj LiTh

Hmmm ok so after reading a bit about it (i pretty much knew nothing except for a few vids i watched), i'm worried now....

Only 1 ship, you cant change ships....at all.... WTF?

More emphasis on drones, mining drones, combat drones....um this doesnt sound good either. If i want to pilot a fast fighter then thats what i want to do...

Space highways, is replacing SETA which i'm ok with, but have questions about hauling stuff, but since i guess you prolly wont be doing that yourself anymore?? its ok?

Hmmm...kind of depressed about the 1 ship thing tbh..

45. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 20:12 dj LiTh

Slashman wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 19:32:
PunkiBastardo wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 18:48:
Really waiting for this, though I won't buy it at launch because of the price and my huge steam backlog, will probably wait for a sale and also get the bonus of skipping all the launch bugs.

I also read the developers completely got rid of time compression this time around.

Yep! SETA is gone for good! Everything is in real time now.

44. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 20:11 Taskeen

While people are talking about the desire for Multiplayer in an "X" Space game, that's not really the point of them. Yeah, that would be cool, but the games are meant to be more of explore and do whatever you want sort of thing.

I've played the older games and just watching the trailer for this new one gives me a sense of awe, where I'll likely just be flying around space doing literally nothing but cruising through space and looking at planets.

Kind of like Skyrim in space basically. So many things to do, so just do all the things. In Skyrim, I literally walk around for hours just taking in the scenery.

Besides, for a little of both, that's what Star Citizen will be, which will have a single-player component and a massive multiplayer component.

But, if they do well with X-Rebirth, heck who knows, maybe they'll make a Multiplayer expansion.

43. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 19:32 Slashman

PunkiBastardo wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 18:48:
Really waiting for this, though I won't buy it at launch because of the price and my huge steam backlog, will probably wait for a sale and also get the bonus of skipping all the launch bugs.

I also read the developers completely got rid of time compression this time around.

Yep! SETA is gone for good! Everything is in real time now.

42. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 18:48 PunkiBastardo

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo