Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 22:46 eRe4s3r

My system is beefy enough to do all that... In the end, higher load when browsing is a VERY small price to pay for additional (optional) privacy.

And the footprint hiding is something that all browsers should do.. no matter what the complications might be. Even TOR does not make you anonymous if your browser has a 1 in a billion footprint.

Yes there is performance impact, but negligible. One has to debate whether PGP is really a good real-time encryption though.

And to add to this, I want a (PC) video and audio encryption tool that basically turns things into noise unless someone else has the descrambler. App for Android phone as well please Same key system as PGP but for Audio and Video.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 22:07 Kitkoan

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 20:47:
Kitkoan wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 17:09:
So... You want a browser that grinds your system to a halt by spending all its time and power on encrypting and decrypting everything and anything?

What bullshit is this? Even at 512/4096 encryption, only half of a core is busy doing encryption and decryption. Maybe upgrading from a single core Celeron or Pentium D is something you should consider.

Yes, but he's asking for many things to be encrypted and decrypted at the same time. One job is easy on your system, but many takes their toll on the system. Encoding cut and paste, ram, comments on a message board, checking for keys, encrypting and decrypting on the fly with multiple different ones, checking for keys, hiding your browsers id. That's not a light load anymore.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

17. Re: Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 21:30 eRe4s3r

LittleMe wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 14:23:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:03:
Essentially, I want a browser that actually does something to better the shitty privacy situation.

I sympathize, especially with the US govt behaving as it does, however the Internet was never designed to be private. It's a public network of networks. I'm sure all sorts of 'privacy laws' are being passed all around the world but such laws won't work except to add bureaucratic red tape to people doing what they do.

In my opinion it's not a privacy issue. It's a liberty issue. So what if they know what sites I go to. It's what they do with that information that potentially scares me. Not in a privacy way, but in a 'government oppression shit-list' way. I guess the two are connected..

edit: as exactly what happened with the other news story here today that blue linked to titled "Partner of The Guardian’s NSA leaks reporter is detained for 9 hours at airport."

So for me the deeper concern isn't privacy, but rather what the authorities do with the information to terrorize the public.

Of course, it is also a liberty issue. More than anything though, you don't have the liberty to do anything if you have no privacy. Assuming someone acts on the information that should be private every action you do is permitted or stopped. That is not freedom, that is not liberty.

16. Re: Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 21:14 eRe4s3r

I hope you post the guide when it's finished.

But one thing you should consider is that using own email server is not a choice for a great many people who got dynamic IP. Hence why I want a browser that supports encryption and decryption with a wide range. It needs to work within the big webmailers, hooking into the text box so that no unencrypted content ever touches the webmail interface.

I won't even bother trying to hide from meta data, because it's impossible. But I would feel far better if I had a browser that passed text I typed scrambled/encrypted into the text forms on websites. It's an ease of use thing. I know we could do enigmail over thunderbird, but the problem is I won't ever convince anyone i know to use thunderbird But I can convince them to use new browsers.

Imo, for encryption to become popular it needs to be STUPID SIMPLE to do. And currently PGP encryption is about as slow and complicated as it gets (for non techies)

15. Re: Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 20:52 NewMaxx

Essentially, I want a browser that actually does something to better the shitty privacy situation. And I have about as much trust in Mozilla and Google as I can throw a 60 ton stone.

I'm actually working on a massive security guide that covers pretty much everything you can possible do to protect yourself online (I've been busy!) but there are a lot of plugins you need to get anything working close to that, and you have other options like portable w/TOR built-in with the add-ons, VM, VPN, etc. Just FYI I've moved everything I use offshore in the last year...

Some quick basics I'd suggest from my guide: runbox for email, privateinternetaccess for VPN, virtualbox for VM, sandboxie, portableapps, vidalia bundle, TAILS OS Live CD, Wuala for cloud, add-ons (https-finder/everywhere, etc.), PGP (enigmail) for thunderbird (other options for other mail), encryption for Pidgin, Axcrypt/Truecrypt, Bitlocker, TPM, Eraser. HOSTS file, Peerblock, OpenDNS, DD-WRT firmware, Privoxy, pwgen.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2013, 20:59.

14. Re: Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 20:47 Burrito of Peace

So... You want a browser that grinds your system to a halt by spending all its time and power on encrypting and decrypting everything and anything?

What bullshit is this? Even at 512/4096 encryption, only half of a core is busy doing encryption and decryption. Maybe upgrading from a single core Celeron or Pentium D is something you should consider.

13. Re: Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 20:41 eRe4s3r

I want a browser not made by anything with physical ties to the US. That supports encryption natively, has proper PGP key management. Supports encryption of text entered in text boxes and decryption of encrypted text assuming keys are present, fakes browser footprint to look in ways that don't make you trackable. And protects the copy/paste memory properly. (Unlike Chrome and Firefox).

PGP encryption and decryption doesn't grind a modern system to a halt... ;p I got 6 cores and 5 and 3/4th are unused when browsing..

12. Re: Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 17:09 Kitkoan

I want a browser not made by anything with physical ties to the US. That supports encryption natively, has proper PGP key management. Supports encryption of text entered in text boxes and decryption of encrypted text assuming keys are present, fakes browser footprint to look in ways that don't make you trackable. And protects the copy/paste memory properly. (Unlike Chrome and Firefox).

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

11. Re: Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 15:54 Lord Tea

Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:11:
Sounds to me like you're gonna have to learn how to code.

Even though this would be the best choice I don't think it's necessary. Europe's (e.g.) got talent and in the PRISM/UPSA era the motivation to dump US internet giants has grown significantly. I frequent German IT forums and pretty much everybody there hates the US govt./NSA/PRISM etc.

Non-American browser alternatives will pop up on the web sooner or later.

UPSA = United Police States of America

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 19, 2013, 15:53 wtf_man

I'm in my late 40's and I don't Facebook, or Twitter, or My Space, or Google Plus, or any of that shit.

I just post on a few gaming forums, and that's it.

/shrug

9. Re: Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 14:23 LittleMe

Essentially, I want a browser that actually does something to better the shitty privacy situation.

I sympathize, especially with the US govt behaving as it does, however the Internet was never designed to be private. It's a public network of networks. I'm sure all sorts of 'privacy laws' are being passed all around the world but such laws won't work except to add bureaucratic red tape to people doing what they do.

In my opinion it's not a privacy issue. It's a liberty issue. So what if they know what sites I go to. It's what they do with that information that potentially scares me. Not in a privacy way, but in a 'government oppression shit-list' way. I guess the two are connected..

edit: as exactly what happened with the other news story here today that blue linked to titled "Partner of The Guardian’s NSA leaks reporter is detained for 9 hours at airport."

So for me the deeper concern isn't privacy, but rather what the authorities do with the information to terrorize the public.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2013, 14:51.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

8. Re: Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 12:45 dj LiTh

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:52:
The thing with Opera is.. that I heard a lot, and I mean a really huge lot of negative feedback about Opera 15..... if it's just for Chrome render engine I can just as well stay with chrome. This whole browser situation doesn't really help to make one happy.

Ya but i think negative reviews aside, you shouldnt fault them for using chrome's render engine. Thats like getting upset at a game for using directx. But ya the list is very short in available decent browsers thats for sure and seems to be getting shorter with every bloated update.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 19, 2013, 12:25 Verno

Firefox for life, Tab Mix Plus is just too handy.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

6. Re: Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 11:52 eRe4s3r

The thing with Opera is.. that I heard a lot, and I mean a really huge lot of negative feedback about Opera 15..... if it's just for Chrome render engine I can just as well stay with chrome. This whole browser situation doesn't really help to make one happy.  

5. Re: Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 11:39 dj LiTh

... developing itself out of relevance 1 version at a time. At least they soon catch up to Chrome in that stupid number war.

Stopped using it back when they added the "smart" address bar, which apart from not understanding what I wanted it to find can't handle sites with less than 4 letters. Quality, wherever you look.

Although I wish there was a decent browser other than Chrome. I know about Chromium.... but that doesn't really fix the things that are the reason why I want to change....

Essentially, I want a browser that actually does something to better the shitty privacy situation. And I have about as much trust in Mozilla and Google as I can throw a 60 ton stone.

And yeah, I know about Opera as well.. but I don't think Opera is really gonna work for me ;/

And equally Maxthon, the greatest piece of junk ever made. Unless you don't want any privacy in your digital life anymore. Cloud browsing.. hah.

I know how ya feel, i've gone from firefox to opera to chrome, but honestly i only left opera because one or two websites i frequented were constantly giving me trouble. Although i think they completely redid their engine to the one that chrome uses, so might want to give it another shot.

4. Re: Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 11:33 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:11:

And yeah, I know about Opera as well.. but I don't think Opera is really gonna work for me ;/

I hope not. My coding skills are about as good as the privacy situation ~.~ Surely such a browser exists already. Mail encryption doesn't do a damn thing when the browser doesn't natively support both encryption and decryption, not just of whole mails, but encrypted sections in text, or even inside forum posts.

3. Re: Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 11:11 Creston

2. Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 11:03 eRe4s3r

... developing itself out of relevance 1 version at a time. At least they soon catch up to Chrome in that stupid number war.

Stopped using it back when they added the "smart" address bar, which apart from not understanding what I wanted it to find can't handle sites with less than 4 letters. Quality, wherever you look.

Although I wish there was a decent browser other than Chrome. I know about Chromium.... but that doesn't really fix the things that are the reason why I want to change....

And equally Maxthon, the greatest piece of junk ever made. Unless you don't want any privacy in your digital life anymore. Cloud browsing.. hah.

1. Re: I'm 13 and None of My Friends Use Facebook Aug 19, 2013, 09:31 Raven

Both this article and the follow-up article might as well just be titled "I'm a professional blogger with hundreds of Facebook friends, what did you want to pay me to say again?"

http://mashable.com/2013/08/13/teens-facebook-response/

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo