Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 19, 2013, 13:01 Mashiki Amiketo

What I find funny is the IT guy not using something else besides symantec end point, and locking down the users machines at the local access level.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 19, 2013, 12:58 Creston

True, but in this case, it's simply because Microsoft apparently never bothered to test what would happen with this update on a PC infected with said rootkit.  

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 19, 2013, 12:41 dj LiTh

Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:54:
dj LiTh wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:42:
Maybe i'm in the minority here, but i actually think its a good move by MS to prevent booting. Much better to deal with the problem straight away then ordering new cc's and chasing where your bank account money went to.

Kinda hard to "deal with the problem" if your PC won't boot...

Sure, you can boot to Knoppix or something and run a Linux root killer, but that's beyond 99.9999% of MS's user base.

Thats definitely true, and 99.9% will have to take it to their IT buddy to suss out but i think a lot (maybe not all) would be happier that none of their info was exposed to various crime organizations. So maybe a necessary evil is how i look at it.

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 19, 2013, 11:54 Creston

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:42:
Maybe i'm in the minority here, but i actually think its a good move by MS to prevent booting. Much better to deal with the problem straight away then ordering new cc's and chasing where your bank account money went to.

Kinda hard to "deal with the problem" if your PC won't boot...

Sure, you can boot to Knoppix or something and run a Linux root killer, but that's beyond 99.9999% of MS's user base.

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 19, 2013, 11:42 dj LiTh

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 19, 2013, 11:33 nin

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:32:
Don't worry guys MS has you covered. If your PC won't boot they'll gladly sell you a Surface RT to replace it.

Or a XBONE that runs office!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 19, 2013, 11:32 NegaDeath

Don't worry guys MS has you covered. If your PC won't boot they'll gladly sell you a Surface RT to replace it.  

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 19, 2013, 11:11 nin

Yeah, it's exactly why I like to wait a week or so to install them, when issues like this popup. Actually broke that rule by installing yesterday, but I didn't want it to interrupt my SR4 time later in the week.

Speaking of which, GMG needs to cough up those keys.

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 19, 2013, 10:44 Creston

Look on the bright side. If your computer doesn't reboot, the rootkit can't do anything!

MS: Fixing your problems. Permanently.

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 19, 2013, 09:17 nin

Microsoft Update KB2859537 prevents PC from booting if Rootkit is present.

Interesting. I installed those same patches yesterday...thankfully mine rebooted correctly.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo