Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today kicks off Game Developers Conference Europe, so there should be some news from there over the next couple of days.

My weird ear for celebrity voices popped up again over the weekend, as I became convinced the voice in the NFL's new TV promos is Forest Whitaker. A quick Google suggested I was wrong, but I heard it a couple more times and did a better search, and found out it is indeed his voice. The weird thing is that before this if you asked me if I thought I knew what he sounded like I would have answered probably not. Too bad there's not a way to capitalize on this odd skill: Like Name that Tune for voices or something.

Familiar Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Red Extinction.
Stories: Steve Jobs Biopic Crashes on Opening Weekend.
America's Last, Remaining Drive-Ins Face a New Threat. Thanks Slashdot.
Science: Obesity Death Toll Heavier Than Previously Thought.
Strange, Pulsating Star Found.
Almost orbital, solar-powered drone offered as "atmospheric satellite".
Media: Super Mario Bros 2 Corruptions.
The Video Game Years - 1981 Pt 3. Thanks Retroware.
Man on an Edge: What It's Like to Be a Window Cleaner in NY.
The Funnies: xkcd: Exoplanet Names. Thanks Jim.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 17:10 jdreyer

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 16:46:

Right, it's not like anybody born after 1970 doesn't know smoking is bad for their health. And yet, we have millions of smokers under 40. I knew it was bad for me when I smoked. I started at 17, like a dumbass, and I had been bombarded with messages from the TV to school to books that smoking was bad. You cannot legislate free will.

Personally, I don't think we should do anymore than we already do to educate people about healthy eating. You get a good dose of that in school and on early education programs. We just need to make people who are too lazy to do anything about it pay more in medical costs.

And yet, smoking is the perfect example of how education + price controls reduced usage. Twice as many people (per capita) smoked in 1970 than today. Smoking is at it's lowest usage than at any time since smoking became popular.

And we actually don't get enough education on it. More education directly correlates with a healthier BMI.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 17:04 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 16:32:
noble ideas but in the end useless i think. there's no lack of knowledge on what's healthy and what's not. i think it really just boils down to personal responsibility like agent said. it's not like it's a big secret that broccoli and carrots are healthy for you, or that junk food is bad. but it is mystifying why some people can't figure out why they're fat when they do nothing but eat all day.

Personal responsibility is an essential ingredient of course. Personal responsibility doesn't happen in a vacuum though. We're continuously influenced by our peers and the culture around us. There's lots of things you can do to guide people to make the right decisions as I mentioned, especially the priced-based ones.

But education is also very important. Lots and lots of people ARE ignorant about the specifics of healthy eating. Which have more calories per weight: potato chips, or tortilla chips? Which is healthier: Ben and Jerry's or Breyer's? Why? Why are refined carbs so bad for you? What's the effect on the body? What combinations of foods will mitigate the effect of something with a high glycemic index, this preventing adult onset diabetes? Etc. etc.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 16:48 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 15:59:
Fitness is 2/3 healthy eating, 1/3 exercise. It's nearly impossible to prevent obesity on exercise alone, unless you do something like Matt Inman, but much less than 1% of the population have the ability/inclination to do that. It's a 2.5 mile run or 5 mile walk to burn off a single candy bar.

Depends on what your definition of fitness is, I guess. I'm not talking about being healthy as a horse, "my body is a temple and pure of any and all modern processed filth," blah blah, I'm talking about not being a fatass. And that is 100% a mathematical equation, to simply burn as many or more calories as/than you take in. It really doesn't matter WHAT you eat, so long as you manage your portions. (Obviously if you eat nothing but 6-8 candy bars a day, you won't feel very good, but you won't be fat either.)

The example of how much exercise is required to burn X amount of calories is somewhat misleading... You don't have to actively burn off everything you eat, including junk food, because you burn the vast majority of your average daily intake of calories just by being alive. There's an equation you can use to estimate this amount, where you just plug in your age/sex/height/weight, and you might be surprised just how large that number is (also depends on variables like metabolism deficiency, muscle mass, etc.). If that candy bar is a part of a day of food intake that otherwise consists of reasonable foods in reasonable portions, it won't affect you one bit. In fact, you might still even lose weight, WITHOUT exercise.

Don't get me wrong, being able to run a mile without doubling over in pain and gasping for breath like Hulk Hogan just let you out of an armbar choke hold is important, as is being able to lift at least, say, 30 pounds over your head without shaking like a leaf. That requires some measure of exercise that the average American just doesn't bother with these days. But as far as preventing obesity, it is obscenely simple... I'd say a bigger problem, than something like poverty, is that people just don't take any pride in their appearance anymore. They just don't give a fuck. There is no shame in being a fat pig, because there are so many fat pigs out there that say it's okay, that nobody feels bad. Guess what piggy? You should feel bad! Jeebus.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2013, 16:56.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 16:46 Agent.X7

1badmf wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 16:32:
Fitness is 2/3 healthy eating, 1/3 exercise. It's nearly impossible to prevent obesity on exercise alone, unless you do something like Matt Inman, but much less than 1% of the population have the ability/inclination to do that. It's a 2.5 mile run or 5 mile walk to burn off a single candy bar.

We need to change our culture at a fundamental level, and no, you'll never change everyone, but you can have an impact on millions of people and reduce the overall percentages of obesity/over weight people, saving $billions in health / lost work /early death costs.

- Recently there's been a trend to reduce/eliminate PE and nutrition classes in school in favor of "hard" academics. We need to reverse this trend.

- The food industry spends $10b on advertising per year (and NOT on broccoli & carrots). We could place restrictions on unhealthy food advertising similar to those on alcohol and tobacco.

- Taxes on completely unnecessary "foods" like soda and chips. Make the cost of the foods reflect their costs to society.

- A well-funded campaign promoting healthy eating / exercise. Anti-smoking and drunk driving campaigns have had a demonstrable effect in the past. And we need some serious money to counter $10b in advertisting.

noble ideas but in the end useless i think. there's no lack of knowledge on what's healthy and what's not. i think it really just boils down to personal responsibility like agent said. it's not like it's a big secret that broccoli and carrots are healthy for you, or that junk food is bad. but it is mystifying why some people can't figure out why they're fat when they do nothing but eat all day.

Right, it's not like anybody born after 1970 doesn't know smoking is bad for their health. And yet, we have millions of smokers under 40. I knew it was bad for me when I smoked. I started at 17, like a dumbass, and I had been bombarded with messages from the TV to school to books that smoking was bad. You cannot legislate free will.

Personally, I don't think we should do anymore than we already do to educate people about healthy eating. You get a good dose of that in school and on early education programs. We just need to make people who are too lazy to do anything about it pay more in medical costs.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 16:32 1badmf

We need to change our culture at a fundamental level, and no, you'll never change everyone, but you can have an impact on millions of people and reduce the overall percentages of obesity/over weight people, saving $billions in health / lost work /early death costs.

- Recently there's been a trend to reduce/eliminate PE and nutrition classes in school in favor of "hard" academics. We need to reverse this trend.

- The food industry spends $10b on advertising per year (and NOT on broccoli & carrots). We could place restrictions on unhealthy food advertising similar to those on alcohol and tobacco.

- Taxes on completely unnecessary "foods" like soda and chips. Make the cost of the foods reflect their costs to society.

- A well-funded campaign promoting healthy eating / exercise. Anti-smoking and drunk driving campaigns have had a demonstrable effect in the past. And we need some serious money to counter $10b in advertisting.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 16:23 RollinThundr

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:10:
huh? Release day for SR4 was today I thought, but Steam says unlock at midnight......

/nm, looks like tomorrow for all versions....

Major releases in the US are always on Tuesdays for games.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 15:59 jdreyer

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 15:50 Agent.X7

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 15:22:
Cutter wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 14:28:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 12:55:
Obesity Death Toll Heavier Than Previously Thought.

Wow, a three fold increase? That's a lot. I always thought that obesity-related deaths were too low, but three times too low? That's depressing. We need a better approach to handling this. There's a whole bunch we can be doing to encourage people to eat better and exercise more.

Poverty is the major factor involved in this. So that won't be changing in the US anytime soon, and will likely get worse.

So you're saying people are too LAZY to go outside and run around for a while every day? Okay... Rolleyes

I fixed that for you. Eating right and exercising is not a poor people problem. There are a whole bunch of politicians that would like you to think so, but the reality is that as our jobs and hobbies become more and more sedentary, we get fatter and fatter.

People are lazy, and it's far easier to assume the gubment has approved all the food you wants to stuff yo face wit so it be safe and why do I needs to exercise?

My wife gets fatter every year because she refuses to get off her ass and work out. We eat the same food, but she eats a lot more of it. It's a pretty damn simple problem that people want to make complex to feel better about their own fat, lazy asses. It's the same reason everyone seems to have a "thyroid condition" now. Hey, fatty, that pie hole you keep jamming with food is not called a thyroid.

I had an employee who could not figure out why her little girl was so overweight. 1 - You are massively overweight. You are supposed to be her role model. 2 - The kid is CONSTANTLY eating. 3 - She does nothing but watch TV. I can't figure it out either.

EDIT: Yes, I do realize that some people have legitimate medical conditions that result in them being overweight. I also realize that the number of people who really have those conditions is far smaller than the number who claim to have those conditions.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 15:31 Cutter

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 15:22:

Wow, a three fold increase? That's a lot. I always thought that obesity-related deaths were too low, but three times too low? That's depressing. We need a better approach to handling this. There's a whole bunch we can be doing to encourage people to eat better and exercise more.

Poverty is the major factor involved in this. So that won't be changing in the US anytime soon, and will likely get worse.

So you're saying people are too poor to go outside and run around for a while every day? Okay... Rolleyes

It's not as simple as that. It's a complex issue. And you reducing it to a simple snide statement only reflects your simple thinking on the matter.

Duh, derp! You mean people only need to eat right and exercise to fix the problem? Derp! Why didn't anyone else think of that! DERP! Well it should all be easy then, derp.

Rolleyes

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 15:22 jacobvandy

So you're saying people are too poor to go outside and run around for a while every day? Okay... Rolleyes

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 14:28 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 14:09 SectorEffector

Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:56:
Julio wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:58:
It's funny that the Apple sheep aren't going to the Steve Jobs movie.

It's not hip enough.

Assuming most avid moviegoers are waiting for the Aaron Sorkin's version.

Like the facebook movie he will make up a bunch of shit but the movie will be very watchable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 14:01 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 13:54:
huh? Release day for SR4 was today I thought, but Steam says unlock at midnight......

GMG, 20% off coupon - can get SR4 for 40.00 flat.
GMG20-4B9NY-L4FEN

And here is 25% off for anything else, doesn't work with SR4.
GMG25-OGRUH-7SM8H
(Works for Batman Origins and a select few other games)

Got my SR4 codes right before lunch. Kicked off the preload, ready to go!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 13:54 xXBatmanXx

GMG, 20% off coupon - can get SR4 for 40.00 flat.
GMG20-4B9NY-L4FEN

And here is 25% off for anything else, doesn't work with SR4.
GMG25-OGRUH-7SM8H
(Works for Batman Origins and a select few other games)

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 13:53 1badmf

in the end the outside can only do so much. if people wanna be healthy they have to take it upon themselves, and it doesn't take a scientist or doctor to tell when someone is unhealthy; just look in the mirror. not 100% accurate, but a good indicator. most of the overweight people i know bring it on themselves because they don't like physical activity; neither work nor play. contrast that with the thin people i know, and they love sports, looking and feeling good, and just leading active lives in general. it's really just slothfulness, and there's no cure for that.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 13:41 Verno

I don't think much can be done outside of marginalizing carbs in people with sedentary lifestyles. Food and finance should be taught in more grade levels in schools but good luck getting that by the food lobby.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 12:55 jdreyer

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 12:52 jdreyer

Hipsters too hip to see hipster movie. Details at 11:00.

Edit: Creston beat me to it!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 12:47 NegaDeath

They're waiting for Steve Jobs 2.0. This one will have a new hat.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 11:56 Creston

It's not hip enough.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo