Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's this week's list of the 10 bestselling games in Valve's Steam service:

1. PAYDAY 2
  2. Saints Row IV
  3. Total War: ROME II
  4. The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
  5. Europa Universalis IV
  6. Civilization V: Brave New World
  7. Space Hulk
  8. Gone Home
  9. Papers Please
  10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Papers Please Aug 19, 2013, 20:14 xXBatmanXx

jimnms wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 16:06:
Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 08:44:
It's peculiar to me that people are so stuck on linearity in games. I rarely play a game through twice to discover whether things are linear or not. If it's what the designer intended and I'm having a good time does it matter that it's linear?

It depends on the game. If you lose the game and re-start enough, eventually you'll start to remember who should be denied and for what reason.

In a way this game could be like FTL if it were random encounters. Imagine if every one of FTL's encounters were the same every time.

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 14:00:
I also create Excel spreadsheets for games like Fallout (old and new), Two Worlds, and Skyrim. I like to keep notes and lists of things I want to do or come back to. Story arcs, etc.

I did that too. Now instead of a pencil and notebook I use my notebook computer to keep notes on. In FO3, FNV and Skyrim I keep notes on where I stash loot, or if I come across some loot that I can't carry, I write down what and where it is so I can come back and get it later if it's something I need.

hah same. The best part about New Vegas is that crate next to the starting area, for some reason, unlimited storage..... A barrel outside I think?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Game creations... Aug 19, 2013, 20:12 xXBatmanXx

Ant wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 14:03:
Raptor wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 13:28:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:42:
I liked Papers Please enough to return to it 3 separate times yesterday... That never happens.

It's always comical how the one bit of info that I don't verify is the one that I'm dinged on. I might need to write down the issuing cities on a real piece of paper next to me since I have no memory and checking the book is a time sink.

I did that too!
And the last time I actually had to write something down might have been the original Xcom games where I drew my base on paper before building

I created Quake levels on paper in class.....class went by fast that way long long ago! Even drew sight lines from hides and flag points.

I also create Excel spreadsheets for games like Fallout (old and new), Two Worlds, and Skyrim. I like to keep notes and lists of things I want to do or come back to. Story arcs, etc.
Share you work!! Let's see them! Here are some of mine from the old days:

http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/files/doom2/j2doom/j2doom.html
http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/files/games/quake/skins.html
http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/files/games/cc.html (U.S. map for C&C:RA).

I made Wolf3D stuff, original Lode Runner levels too, but don't have those anymore.

You would humble me so fast....I played on your AQ2 server....those screenshots are probably with some of my stuff on some disk or drive somewhere.....I will look.

THe garbage I created wasn't even playable. I didn't have the knowledge to figure it out.....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

35. Re: Papers Please Aug 19, 2013, 16:06 jimnms

It's peculiar to me that people are so stuck on linearity in games. I rarely play a game through twice to discover whether things are linear or not. If it's what the designer intended and I'm having a good time does it matter that it's linear?

It depends on the game. If you lose the game and re-start enough, eventually you'll start to remember who should be denied and for what reason.

In a way this game could be like FTL if it were random encounters. Imagine if every one of FTL's encounters were the same every time.

I did that too. Now instead of a pencil and notebook I use my notebook computer to keep notes on. In FO3, FNV and Skyrim I keep notes on where I stash loot, or if I come across some loot that I can't carry, I write down what and where it is so I can come back and get it later if it's something I need.

MeanJim on Steam

34. Re: Papers Please Aug 19, 2013, 15:00 Dmitri_M

Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:21:
And since I replay most of my games at least once or twice (except for the crap ones), that can be pretty annoying.

You're lucky. A tiny percentage of the games that I purchase I ever complete even once.

I'm purchasing games like a 14 year old with too much disposable income but "playing" them like a 32 year old..in other words rarely because I just don't have time. I think guys like me are driving Steam sales. I just don't know if we're actually playing anything with buy.

33. Re: Game creations... Aug 19, 2013, 14:03 Ant

I liked Papers Please enough to return to it 3 separate times yesterday... That never happens.

It's always comical how the one bit of info that I don't verify is the one that I'm dinged on. I might need to write down the issuing cities on a real piece of paper next to me since I have no memory and checking the book is a time sink.

I did that too!
And the last time I actually had to write something down might have been the original Xcom games where I drew my base on paper before building

I created Quake levels on paper in class.....class went by fast that way long long ago! Even drew sight lines from hides and flag points.

Share you work!! Let's see them! Here are some of mine from the old days:

http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/files/doom2/j2doom/j2doom.html
http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/files/games/quake/skins.html
http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/files/games/cc.html (U.S. map for C&C:RA).

I made Wolf3D stuff, original Lode Runner levels too, but don't have those anymore.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 19, 2013, 14:00 xXBatmanXx

I did that too!

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 19, 2013, 13:28 Raptor

I did that too!

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 19, 2013, 11:42 Sepharo

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 19, 2013, 11:34 dj LiTh

NewMaxx wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:49:
dj LiTh wrote on Aug 18, 2013, 15:12:
Happy to see EU4 on the list, i've been having a blast with it. Recommended for any armchair general.

Yeah, incredible game. Playing as Savoy and united Italy and am in the top 3 world powers. About 65 years left or so, and unfortunately @$)(@$* Maria Theresa )(@#%@)%$@)( united the @)($@* HRE so, @*$!

I'm playing as Hessen, ya i've got Maria Theresa on my dart board myself, g'damn Austria owns half of Europe and allied with spain regularly bitch slaps France and UK around like flies, i'm just trying to take as much as i can get before the inevitable war comes!

28. Re: Papers Please Aug 19, 2013, 11:21 Creston

If it's a well-told linear game, I don't mind that much, but if every single thing happens in exactly the same way, it does massively hinder replayability. And since I replay most of my games at least once or twice (except for the crap ones), that can be pretty annoying.

27. Re: Papers Please Aug 19, 2013, 11:19 Creston

InBlack wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 05:37:
What would be really cool would be an XCOM style WH40K game, but Im guessing thats just a pipe dream....

*starts shaking violently*

26. Re: Papers Please Aug 19, 2013, 10:14 Beamer

I'm pretty much with you. Outside of strategy games, I don't tend to replay games often. When I do, I can't think of any that I've enjoyed more because they were less linear.

Anyway, I watched one of those Papers Please Let's Play. Holy crap that game is my worst nightmare. A game where you sit there, comparing numbers, having to pay close attention to a few dozen different details?
I do shit like that at work, copying numbers from pdfs or spreadsheets into other spreadsheets or ppts to analyze and make recommendations. No way am I doing that kind of tortuous attention-to-detail crap in a game.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 19, 2013, 09:49 NewMaxx

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 18, 2013, 15:12:
Happy to see EU4 on the list, i've been having a blast with it. Recommended for any armchair general.

Yeah, incredible game. Playing as Savoy and united Italy and am in the top 3 world powers. About 65 years left or so, and unfortunately @$)(@$* Maria Theresa )(@#%@)%$@)( united the @)($@* HRE so, @*$!

24. Re: Papers Please Aug 19, 2013, 08:44 Dmitri_M

23. Re: Papers Please Aug 19, 2013, 08:42 nin

Raptor wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 05:04:
jimnms wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 02:34:
After watching a few videos and playing the demo, I have some questions. Is the main story linear? I think all but one video I saw was of the demo/beta that I played, and it seemed that the events all happened in the same order in the videos and when I played the demo. I know there are different challenge modes unlocked after playing the story that are random, but it would be nice if the game were more randomized during the story.

Also, are you paid by the number of people processed or the number let in? There were people that wouldn't give you all of the documents at first, and if you pointed it out they would give you the rest. One video the guy just denied them without penalty, but when I played it I asked for the rest of the documents. If you're paid by the number processed, it seems denying them would be easier than going through the trouble to ask them for the rest of their papers.

There was one more, but dammit I forgot now.

The main story line is linear in progress, but can jump from point to point depending on how handle different sub-events of the story line. So each plot event can have different paths.
Also at different times there are other key “events” which change things.
The general quests are all random, even when you need to watch out for criminals it’s not a guarantee that you will actually see them.
You get paid by the number of people you process, whether or not you let them in. In the beginning it can be easier to just reject them.
For me, later on in the game some guy with a press pass tries to enter and I denied him, which resulted in having to actually determine the reason for rejecting a visitor and adding an extra stamp for denial, so from that point on I couldn’t just reject to get the next customer faster.
Also at some point it might be more profitable for you to try to find a reason for detaining (extra bribe money), so this also adds an extra element to your choice making.

Every day you get 2 free passes for mistakes, so this can also be used for making “questionable” decisions and/or even let criminals pass (the seriousness of the infraction doesn’t matter)

It’s actually refreshing how the game doesn’t highlight the weight of every decision you make by attaching an achievement or special flag to everything.
For example if a girl comes through asking to not let a guy into the country. If you do let the guy in then all that results is a newspaper headline about a murdered girl – but no points or score deducted because you made a “wrong” decision. You were just making sure your family was fed. Yet as the game progresses you feel sometimes like a heartless asshole for screwing someone over in order to feed your family.

That does it - final straw. Gonna have to buy now.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22. Re: Papers Please Aug 19, 2013, 05:37 InBlack

Played Space Hulk at a friends house, the singleplayer is great and is exactly how I remember the board game. It is very expensive at 30$ though, they already had all the game systems, maps worked out and dishing out that much for a very simple graphical interface and some very limited 3d art/assets and sound is simply too much to ask for.

Didnt try the hotseat, since I heard it was basically broken. Going to wait for the game price to drop to a more reasonable level and pick it up when its at least half that asking price.

What would be really cool would be an XCOM style WH40K game, but Im guessing thats just a pipe dream....

I have a nifty blue line!

21. Re: Papers Please Aug 19, 2013, 05:04 Raptor

jimnms wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 02:34:
After watching a few videos and playing the demo, I have some questions. Is the main story linear? I think all but one video I saw was of the demo/beta that I played, and it seemed that the events all happened in the same order in the videos and when I played the demo. I know there are different challenge modes unlocked after playing the story that are random, but it would be nice if the game were more randomized during the story.

Also, are you paid by the number of people processed or the number let in? There were people that wouldn't give you all of the documents at first, and if you pointed it out they would give you the rest. One video the guy just denied them without penalty, but when I played it I asked for the rest of the documents. If you're paid by the number processed, it seems denying them would be easier than going through the trouble to ask them for the rest of their papers.

The main story line is linear in progress, but can jump from point to point depending on how handle different sub-events of the story line. So each plot event can have different paths.
Also at different times there are other key “events” which change things.
The general quests are all random, even when you need to watch out for criminals it’s not a guarantee that you will actually see them.
You get paid by the number of people you process, whether or not you let them in. In the beginning it can be easier to just reject them.
For me, later on in the game some guy with a press pass tries to enter and I denied him, which resulted in having to actually determine the reason for rejecting a visitor and adding an extra stamp for denial, so from that point on I couldn’t just reject to get the next customer faster.
Also at some point it might be more profitable for you to try to find a reason for detaining (extra bribe money), so this also adds an extra element to your choice making.

Every day you get 2 free passes for mistakes, so this can also be used for making “questionable” decisions and/or even let criminals pass (the seriousness of the infraction doesn’t matter)

It’s actually refreshing how the game doesn’t highlight the weight of every decision you make by attaching an achievement or special flag to everything.
For example if a girl comes through asking to not let a guy into the country. If you do let the guy in then all that results is a newspaper headline about a murdered girl – but no points or score deducted because you made a “wrong” decision. You were just making sure your family was fed. Yet as the game progresses you feel sometimes like a heartless asshole for screwing someone over in order to feed your family.

20. Papers Please Aug 19, 2013, 02:34 jimnms

MeanJim on Steam

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 19, 2013, 00:21 Ant

Tumbler wrote on Aug 18, 2013, 13:03:
I hear good things about payday 2 but $30 seems too high. I'll see if someone wants to trade it on vgfive or 99gamers.
Really? I thought Payday 2 would be 50-60 bucks. :O

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 19, 2013, 00:11 HorrorScope

Papers.... looks like a game you wish you designed and programmed. Very simple mechanics... and it sells.  

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo