Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer

Techland announces the opening of a new development studio in Canada, which includes some of the folks from Radical Entertainment who lost their jobs last summer. They explain how this studio fits into their organization: "Up until now, titles by Techland have been created in two development studios, located in Wroclaw and Warsaw, Poland. Those studios are now joined by the new facility, located near Vancouver, Canada. The new branch, named Digital Scapes Studios, is led by Managing Director Marcin Chady, previously longtime Technical Director of Radical Entertainment, a subsidiary of Activision Blizzard. From the same source are a number of other employees of the new Techland owned Canadian studio. Team members previously contributed to titles such as two installments in the best-selling Prototype series, which was enthusiastically received by players and media alike. Digital Scapes Studios are currently tasked with the creation of certain key elements in the new game Dying Light, currently in development by Techland in partnership with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment." Speaking of Dying Light, a new video offers the first look at gameplay in the upcoming first-person, zombie survival/horror game. The day/night cycle is a significant factor in the game, and this "pre-alpha" clip focuses on what players can do in the clear light of day.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 18, 2013, 04:19 Jerykk

ItBurn wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 19:27:
PHJF wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 19:24:
So we had Dead Island which was extraordinarily rough but nonetheless fun, Riptide which took forever to release while bringing nothing new whatsoever to Dead Island, that medieval demon game with assets straight from Dead Island, and now this one which looks... remarkably like Dead Island.

Keep broadening those horizons, Techland.

What surprise me is how they can do all this with the money from Dead Island. Did it really sell that well?

Techland has been around for a while. The Dead Island and Call of Juarez games probably earned them some decent money. Also, I'm pretty sure Canada gives tax cuts and/or other incentives to studios looking to start up in the country.

Yeah, I was thinking it totally looked like a console/controller demo with the way and how slow the character view was panning.....

Almost every demonstration of a multiplatform game is done with a gamepad. It's a lot easier to make slow, steady and smooth motions with a gamepad and that makes for a more "cinematic" video. It's also easier to follow than watching someone make quick and drastic movements.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 21:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

Alamar wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 21:03:
The 'throwing skills' guy was the first char I played, and the only one fun enough to get through the game... After throwing shock knives that AOE on the target, moving to a blade/blunt weapon, or a gun seemed... weak...

-Alamar

Interesting. I got annoyed picking up thrown weapons after the first few fights, found Sam(the blunt guy?) a bit too easy, the Korean edged weapons girl even more overpowered, and finally settled on the gun woman. She probably had the weakest skill tree, but I ended up jump kicking/headstomping 80% of the enemies anyway, and unloading firepower only on minibosses/bosses.

Hopefully Dying Light doesn't end up promoting the jump kick/headstomp combo too much, but I feel they won't get away from weapon degradation and extremely limited ammo, even though neither of those mechanics are fun to a certain percentage of players. If that ends up being the case, I'll be kicking the brains out of another 40,000 zombies or so in this game.

*EDIT* Typo.

16. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 21:03 Alamar

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 18:40:
I played through the entire Dead Island campaign, even though it got a little grindy for my tastes, mostly due to zombies respawning in areas you just cleared as you make your way back.

The free running aspects seem pretty fun, the graphics look vastly improved, I'll probably at least try this on a Steam sale or something. Although Warner Bros is involved, this may end up being cursed with GFWL.

Hopefully this time the character powers aren't so horribly balanced... did anybody actually play the throwing skills guy in Dead Island?

The 'throwing skills' guy was the first char I played, and the only one fun enough to get through the game... After throwing shock knives that AOE on the target, moving to a blade/blunt weapon, or a gun seemed... weak...

-Alamar

15. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 19:40 SpectralMeat

I think this gameplay looks impressive. Keeping an eye on this one.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

14. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 19:27 ItBurn

PHJF wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 19:24:
So we had Dead Island which was extraordinarily rough but nonetheless fun, Riptide which took forever to release while bringing nothing new whatsoever to Dead Island, that medieval demon game with assets straight from Dead Island, and now this one which looks... remarkably like Dead Island.

What surprise me is how they can do all this with the money from Dead Island. Did it really sell that well?

13. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 19:24 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 18:53 Squirmer

It looked a lot like Dishonored's movement, where if you jump to a ledge, the game is smart enough to mantle you up onto it.

The voice acting in this suggests there are scripted missions rather than an open world with exploration and decisions to be made, so that's disappointing.

11. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 18:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

I played through the entire Dead Island campaign, even though it got a little grindy for my tastes, mostly due to zombies respawning in areas you just cleared as you make your way back.

The free running aspects seem pretty fun, the graphics look vastly improved, I'll probably at least try this on a Steam sale or something. Although Warner Bros is involved, this may end up being cursed with GFWL.

Hopefully this time the character powers aren't so horribly balanced... did anybody actually play the throwing skills guy in Dead Island?

10. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 17:50 MajorD

Fletch wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 14:50:
....the gamepad control is a bad omen for us bitter PC gamers looking for a good PC FPS with little hand-holding....

Yeah, I was thinking it totally looked like a console/controller demo with the way and how slow the character view was panning.....

9. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 17:50 Alamar

'near Vancouver'... Every... Damn... Time...

My only option growing up was Silicon Knights, and I bombed my interview, so I ended up making a crap ton more money instead... Instead of making games and being abused... Pro's and Con's all around : )

-Alamar

8. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 15:51 2nd_floor

Looks seems like Dead Island 1.5. I like the day/night cycle, but why do zombies become more vicious at night? Sounds like vampires. The tactics would change at night because you can't see but you can hide better maybe. I enjoyed Dead Island a lot (not a perfect game by anymeans), but the only difference seemingly with Dying Light, is the night time and zombies get more vicious at night?

Survival games seem to be getting more and more popular, this looks too much like Dead Island. But its early, ill wait and see.

DayZ sounds original, looking forward to it.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2013, 16:05.

7. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 15:45 Numinar

If legit, looks great! The way weapons bounced off enemies instead of lightsabering every time was awesome. I hope the gamepad analogue controls are back or something similar for mouse.  

6. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 15:15 Fion

I hope the parkour is more like Mirrors Edge where you had to more actively use the controls to achieve the jumping and climbing and there are trick jumps to learn to improve your abilities, etc and less Assassin's Creed where it's all 'hold down q' and the game does the rest.

I enjoyed Dead Island so I really don't mind if they do something similar, though it looks more inspired this time around. I like that the zombies change and become significantly more threatening at night. There never was anything like that in Dead Island.

Hope they keep the difficulty up. Dead Island is one of few modern games that truly got difficult in some areas.

5. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 15:14 Parias

Fletch wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 14:50:
Just how do zombies become zombies?

Maybe they're going with Walking Dead mentality?

4. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 14:50 Fletch

QTE-fest, and the gamepad control is a bad omen for us bitter PC gamers looking for a good PC FPS with little hand-holding. Still, I'm curious how the parkour shit works. Do you simply approach something to jump over or climb on, and the game does all the work? Or is there an "action" button of some kind? Also, this dude gets bit several times. Just how do zombies become zombies?  

3. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 13:42 El Pit

It looks like Dead Island with much better graphics. You can even see some mini boss opponents from DI in the video. I'm interested, because I liked the first Dead Island game. DI: Riptide wasn't as good as its predecessor, so I hope it's more like the first game.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

2. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 13:37 Wallshadows

So it's Dead Island without being on an island.  

1. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 13:36 Verno

The parkour stuff looked alright but the rest looked pretty bog standard Dead Island in a slightly new setting. I'll check it out when its further along in development. I wonder how it would handle multiplayer.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo