Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Thief in February

The GamesCom trailer for Thief is a cinematic look at the upcoming reboot, setting the Robin Hood-style story line of the upcoming stealth/action game, depicting Garrett's role in the uprising of the proletariat. The clip also concludes with an official release date for the game, saying it's coming to stores on February 25, 2014. Word is:

London (16, August 2013) – Square Enix® and Eidos-Montréal™, the award winning studio behind the critically acclaimed Deus Ex: Human Revolution® today announced that THIEF™ will be released for Windows PC, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One on 25th February 2014 in North America and 28th February 2014 in Europe and PAL territories.

“This city will not die with the old and the poor holding it back. The time has come for a new future” -Baron Northcrest

“No more will our homes be taken and our families starved. This City belongs to the people. We must seize it back.” -Orion

Garrett the Master Thief is entangled in the growing layers of conflict between Baron Northcrest and the oppressed masses led by Orion, the voice of the people. In a City on the brink of revolution, Garrett’s skills are all he can trust as he walks the fine line between politics and the people.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

19. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 13:47 Quinn

StratX wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 13:35:
Best news I've read is that it won't be a Steam-only release.

Would someone be so kind as to explain to me what's wrong with STEAM(-only release)? Never having any issues with STEAM. It's my cosy little digital game library. <3

Matter of fact, if a game is NOT released on STEAM there's a huge chance I won't buy it, these days.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 13:35 StratX

Best news I've read is that it won't be a Steam-only release.

Will miss the real Garrett too. Although a post elsewhere brought up a good point that the fan-made missions without Garrett didn't lose as much as you'd think - they were still enjoyable.
I have loved this series & am hoping for the best as well....

17. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 13:22 MajorD

I hope I am proved wrong, but the more time that has gone by, and the more I have seen throughout the development cycle, the less excited I have become; just as it was with Aliens: Colonial Marines with me, which unfortunately proved correct. Again, I just hope I am wrong.

Obviously I am a big fan of the originals (T1 & T2), as many others here are, but it seems like the developers are straying away too much from what made T1 & T2 so immersive, enjoyable, and successful. You can have better/updated graphics, etc., but that doesn't make the game better.

Bottom line is that it seems like they ran with their own artistic license (their prerogative of course) and could potentially be tainting the franchise.

16. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 13:13 LgFriess

Hoping for the best from this one but really not expecting much. Too many easy mode considerations IMO.

Then again, sometimes a game still shines. I expected to be so disappointed in the new X-Com because of so much of the complexity of the original being cut. It's a great game though and I'm glad I took a chance on it. Maybe this Thief will be similar despite some of the odd design choices.

15. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 12:15 Prez

Creston wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 11:57:
Fingers crossed, but I'm not optimistic....

Me too. *Sigh* Sigh

Hopefully by some miracle this won't be another "Syndicate"-style reboot non-event.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 12:02 El Pit

I played Dishonored like I played the Thief games back in the day. If the new Thief can be played without scripted scenes that force you into shootouts, honoring a stealthy approach, I'm in, although I'm afraid I will miss the REAL Garrett.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2013, 12:16.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

13. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 11:57 Creston

Fingers crossed, but I'm not optimistic....  

12. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 11:29 wtf_man

Teef wizout teef!  

11. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 11:22 gray

I just can't get behind this depiction of Garrett (Gothrett?), it's just so shallow and commercial that I feel nothing for this character. The game might turn out to be okay though, but they've built themselves a wall right off the bat.  

10. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 11:20 Cutter

It's Thief Derpsolution. They removed jumping because they said you might miss the mark and fall off something which wouldn't be keeping in line with how uber-cool and perfect Garett - supposedly - is. So, rather than allow a player to make a mistake they simply removed it. That's right, no worries about ever making a mistake in this game. You'll get it right the first time, every time!

I have Deadly Shadows on my desktop right now, and I also now have zero interest in this game. They not only screwed the pooch on this game, they did it royally and sans lube.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

9. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 11:02 Jivaro

They removed jumping? Who is making this..Bioware? Bracing myself for the inevitable CliffyB blog on why "expecting the ability to jump in a thief game is for douchebags".

All jokes aside, I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Just like every other reboot, I am not buying until easily a month's worth of peer reviews come forward. (like from folks here!) Sorry to use you all like guinea pigs in advance.

8. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 10:46 Techie714 ©

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 10:14:
I'm a bit iffy on this, it seems like they made quite a few design decisions based around modern audiences who aren't as likely to buy this game at all. On the other hand if the game is even half as Thief as the older Thief games then it would still be a pretty great time. I just hope that the levels are genuinely built around stealth primarily and combat is an afterthought but that feels like a pipe dream these days

Verno you always seem to nail what I'm thinking..lol. Well said & I agree. Also I didnt know this game was that far out I thought it was a 2013 release?

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

7. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 10:44 Jedi Master

I don't know, I thought the Hammers' stuff was fairly steampunky. Especially the steam-powered robots in Thief 2!  

6. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 10:42 Quinn

InBlack, Thief was always (semi)steampunk. Think Thief 2: Metal Age. It never got to too much retarded contraptions though. I'm personally ok with steampunk if it's in proper proportions. The Adventures of Van Helsing, for example, got wayyyy too steampunky for me at the.. was it the third chapter? Same with Dishonored. That wasn't medieval at all, but more like the early 1900's, with some crazy tesla shit included.  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

5. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 10:38 Scottish Martial Arts

One other thing that irks me about this title it looks to be set in a sort of steampunk setting, but wasnt the setting of the early games fantasy medieaval?

It was fantasy + industry. Thief: The Dark Project had a more medieval feel to it, but The City was still clearly in the early stages of an industrial revolution. Thief II however started to feel more Victorian. Still though, much of the sort of stuff we associate with steam punk you didn't really see.

4. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 10:37 Quinn

McSterls wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 10:20:
I'd think that this weeks negative previews of the game will hurt pre-sales. Not sure why they decided to remove jumping from the game, but big mistake.

They removed jumping!?!? My fucking goodness!!!! I'm not being sarcastic here. They removed jumping in a game where you're playing a nimble thief!? What if I wanna jump onto a certain object from higher ground for tactical reasons? It's taken away from me.

Fuck this game will suck...

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

3. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 10:20 InBlack

Im in the same boat as you Verno. I just cant seem to get excited for some of these reboots, because lets face it most developers couldnt give two shits about making quality games, they just want to sell the next big thing. One other thing that irks me about this title it looks to be set in a sort of steampunk setting, but wasnt the setting of the early games fantasy medieaval? I cant stand steampunk, which is the main reason I skipped Dishonored.  

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 10:20 McSterls

I'd think that this weeks negative previews of the game will hurt pre-sales. Not sure why they decided to remove jumping from the game, but big mistake.  

1. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 10:14 Verno

I'm a bit iffy on this, it seems like they made quite a few design decisions based around modern audiences who aren't as likely to buy this game at all. On the other hand if the game is even half as Thief as the older Thief games then it would still be a pretty great time. I just hope that the levels are genuinely built around stealth primarily and combat is an afterthought but that feels like a pipe dream these days  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo