Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Thief in February

The GamesCom trailer for Thief is a cinematic look at the upcoming reboot, setting the Robin Hood-style story line of the upcoming stealth/action game, depicting Garrett's role in the uprising of the proletariat. The clip also concludes with an official release date for the game, saying it's coming to stores on February 25, 2014. Word is:

London (16, August 2013) – Square Enix® and Eidos-Montréal™, the award winning studio behind the critically acclaimed Deus Ex: Human Revolution® today announced that THIEF™ will be released for Windows PC, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One on 25th February 2014 in North America and 28th February 2014 in Europe and PAL territories.

“This city will not die with the old and the poor holding it back. The time has come for a new future” -Baron Northcrest

“No more will our homes be taken and our families starved. This City belongs to the people. We must seize it back.” -Orion

Garrett the Master Thief is entangled in the growing layers of conflict between Baron Northcrest and the oppressed masses led by Orion, the voice of the people. In a City on the brink of revolution, Garrett’s skills are all he can trust as he walks the fine line between politics and the people.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Thief in February Aug 17, 2013, 19:45 Raptor

Reading my own quote of the quote edited to match the thought of the thougth is really not something that should be done while drunk.
Took me 10 mins to find out what happened.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Thief in February Aug 17, 2013, 19:02 Flatline

*Reads the admin's edit of my rant*

*Slow clap* Bravo.

37. Re: Thief in February Aug 17, 2013, 08:34 MyRealName

to limit console player frustration with a checkpoint save system by addressing the limited functionality/precision of a gamepad, or to artificially cover for some pretty shitty/lazy level design.

Precisely my thoughts on it. They know the controls and the player ability and the game design are limited and so they remove the possibility. Nevermind that it's part of the core gameplay to actually have to BE Garrett and prove you've got what it takes. Nevermind that skill is actually one of the foundations of playing and mastering a game. No, in the future, you won't fire unless there's something to shoot, won't move unless there's somewhere to go, and won't jump unless there's something to jump to. The future is here! It should pair up nicely with the rope arrows that can only be fired at set locations instead of at any wood.

You guys rebooting Thief don't get it. It's the gameplay, stupid.

Builder bless The Dark Mod and New Dark.

36. Re: Thief in February Aug 17, 2013, 05:17 Raptor

Flatline wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 21:47:
Well thanks for spoiling the entire story for everybody!

Edit: Thanks for quoting the spoiler! -- Admin.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2013, 09:16.

35. Re: Thief in February Aug 17, 2013, 04:43 Fantaz

Acleacius wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 16:18:
Great franchise, pathetic console gameplay design as usual, from square enix and eidos. Until people stop buying at release, they will keep making it.

Too bad people don't wait till the first 50% off sale, that would send an amazing message.

the true Thief franchise already died with the previous third game in the series... R.I.P.

34. Re: Thief in February Aug 17, 2013, 01:48 Jerykk

Eh... I'm a bit concerned about some of the design choices in the new game. Contextual jumping and rope arrows? Forced non-stealth segments for the sake of being "cinematic"? These clash directly with the pillars of the series and seem like completely unnecessary "accommodations" to appease casual gamers. The success of DX:HR and Dishonored have proven that gamers enjoy having agency.  

33. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 21:52 Cutter

Flatline wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 21:47:
So wait... this is a continuation of the Thief series or a reboot? Some people have said continuation, others a reboot. There's no Hammerites, there's no Trickster minions, and the whole reason why Garrett is a badass thief (the keepers) seems to be missing and you're just... a badass thief.

That being said, I actually really like the art direction of city in the new cinematic. It looks like a city I'd like to run amok in. On the flip side, the guards look... anachronistic. They're like early 1600's and everyone else is like 1870. I'd have spent more time making them look a little more in-fashion or a little more ceremonial like the Swiss Guard if they were going to be anachronisms.

Garrett however looks like a fucking anime ninja now and I'm totally uninterested in him as a protagonist.

The story however sounds like shit. It actually sounds like a direct ripoff of the themes in Bioshock Infinite. Industrialist/rich fuck on one hand, "man of the people" on the other, and big twist I'm sure the "man of the people" is going to turn out to be a fuckhead.

And since they're pitching Garrett as "robin hood" now, he's going to develop a conscience and become a hero of the people by opposing both sides and forging his own solution. And then at the end of the game he'll toss that all aside to go back to robbing rich fucks and keeping the profits.

If it turns out like that I'm going to vomit through my eyes, but that's what it's looking like.

So awesomely said. You sir, are the King of the Internet for today.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2013, 09:18.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

32. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 21:50 Jedi Master

I think every game should be on Steam, and when it's ONLY on Origin or something that irritates me. However, I have no issues with a game that's on Steam AND elsewhere. I couldn't care less if you could play it with a disc check, a simple online activation, Steam, or sticking your finger in the USB port the whole time, I just want it the easiest way for me.

If someone else doesn't want to use Steam, I don't care!

31. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 21:47 Flatline

So wait... this is a continuation of the Thief series or a reboot? Some people have said continuation, others a reboot. There's no Hammerites, there's no Trickster minions, and the whole reason why Garrett is a badass thief (the keepers) seems to be missing and you're just... a badass thief.

That being said, I actually really like the art direction of city in the new cinematic. It looks like a city I'd like to run amok in. On the flip side, the guards look... anachronistic. They're like early 1600's and everyone else is like 1870. I'd have spent more time making them look a little more in-fashion or a little more ceremonial like the Swiss Guard if they were going to be anachronisms.

Garrett however looks like a fucking anime ninja now and I'm totally uninterested in him as a protagonist.

The story however sounds like shit. It actually sounds like a direct ripoff of the themes in Bioshock Infinite. Industrialist/rich fuck on one hand, "man of the people" on the other, and big twist I'm sure the "man of the people" is going to turn out to be a fuckhead.

And since they're pitching Garrett as "robin hood" now, he's going to develop a conscience and become a hero of the people by opposing both sides and forging his own solution. And then at the end of the game he'll toss that all aside to go back to robbing rich fucks and keeping the profits.

If it turns out like that I'm going to vomit through my eyes, but that's what it's looking like.

Edit: Admin added spoiler tags.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2013, 09:15.

30. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 21:47 SS

Looks awful. Glad we have New Dark and the Dark Mod to fall back on  

29. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 21:14 SlimRam

In my best REAL OLD Garret voice,

"I was a fan of the first 2 chapters of this game, the third, not so much. My interest in this new chapter is waning but...I AM a thief. The new slogan for this game, 'What's Yours Is Mine' seems to almost tempt a man of my profession....and I believe that STEALING this game would be almost apropo.

...They'll NEVER see me coming" Spot_right Stab Spot_left

I saw a hearse driving in the carpool lane the other day and I thought to myself, "That's cheating"

28. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 20:19 CJ_Parker

At least the cinematics are purty... but they are going to have to show us some gameplay to really raise some interest.  

27. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 16:54 John

Acleacius wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 16:18:
Too bad people don't wait till the first 50% off sale, that would send an amazing message.
That's what I usually do.. lot of times I wait for more than 50% off since I got so many other games to play still.

This space is available for rent

26. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 16:18 Acleacius

Great franchise, pathetic console gameplay design as usual, from square enix and eidos. Until people stop buying at release, they will keep making it.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

25. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 15:41 Quinn

John wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 14:53:
Quinn wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 10:37:
They removed jumping!?!? My fucking goodness!!!! I'm not being sarcastic here. They removed jumping in a game where you're playing a nimble thief!? What if I wanna jump onto a certain object from higher ground for tactical reasons? It's taken away from me.
They didn't remove it completely.. It will just be limited so that you can only jump when there's something to jump to so you don't fall off of a building.

I get that, John. Honestly, I left that disclaimer out because it felt to logical to me.

Like the comment below already reads, they replaced jump with an action button. It's almost like Zelda: *something* of Time, but worse. In a stealth game, jumping is of utter importance. If you don't think about it, you can easily underestimate it's worth. Jumping can get you on any surface you wish, as long as you can somehow reach it; jumping can help to peek over a wall from a distance; jumping can land you onto the perfect position to, ie, land out of sight from higher up; jumping can help you traverse a small but hard surface (ie a metal tile) quickly and relatively silently; etc. etc. etc.

Now, jumping is replaced with climbing and landing on places the DEVELOPERS have decided you can. This is a broken and limiting thing. It's the complete fucking opposite with Dishonored's ability to jump+blink onto any possible surface! (..and that's the first compliment I've granted Dishonored in a long time..) Granted, it made Dishonored too easy, but that's beside the point.

I'm shocked they actually have the rope arrow! That was the biggest surprise.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

24. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 15:28 Fletch

John wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 14:53:
They didn't remove it completely.. It will just be limited so that you can only jump when there's something to jump to so you don't fall off of a building.

They replaced it with an "action" button when the jump cue appears.

IOW, they removed jump.

Funny... I've never had a problem with falling off buildings in any of the other FPSs I've played. I mean, I've fallen off buildings and died before, but successful negotiation of perilous places was part of the gameplay, and made the game more enjoyable. In many FPS games, crouching or sneaking as you approach a ledge prevents you from falling. The only reasons I can think of to remove jumping is to limit console player frustration with a checkpoint save system by addressing the limited functionality/precision of a gamepad, or to artificially cover for some pretty shitty/lazy level design.

Fucking taffers.

23. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 14:53 John

Quinn wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 10:37:
They removed jumping!?!? My fucking goodness!!!! I'm not being sarcastic here. They removed jumping in a game where you're playing a nimble thief!? What if I wanna jump onto a certain object from higher ground for tactical reasons? It's taken away from me.

This space is available for rent

22. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 14:18 StratX

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 13:51:
Quinn wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 13:47:
Would someone be so kind as to explain to me what's wrong with STEAM(-only release)? Never having any issues with STEAM. It's my cosy little digital game library. <3

Matter of fact, if a game is NOT released on STEAM there's a huge chance I won't buy it, these days.

Some people like DRM free games. Others like to see competition. I too like Steam but that doesn't mean I want it to monopolize the market.

Bingo!

21. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 13:54 Ratty

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 10:14:
I'm a bit iffy on this, it seems like they made quite a few design decisions based around modern audiences who aren't as likely to buy this game at all. On the other hand if the game is even half as Thief as the older Thief games then it would still be a pretty great time. I just hope that the levels are genuinely built around stealth primarily and combat is an afterthought but that feels like a pipe dream these days
I'm not iffy in the least. Thief died when Looking Glass folded and I only wish they'd let it rest in peace instead of desecrating its grave with this abomination.

20. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 13:51 NegaDeath

Quinn wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 13:47:
Would someone be so kind as to explain to me what's wrong with STEAM(-only release)? Never having any issues with STEAM. It's my cosy little digital game library. <3

Matter of fact, if a game is NOT released on STEAM there's a huge chance I won't buy it, these days.

Some people like DRM free games. Others like to see competition. I too like Steam but that doesn't mean I want it to monopolize the market.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo