Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed

ArenaNet is claiming a sales record for Guild Wars 2, saying that selling over three million copies in nine months gives them rights to claim the title of fastest selling MMORPG in the U.S. in Europe over the first nine months, beating out whatever game previously held this coveted distinction. "After triangulating against multiple data sources, its clear that Guild Wars 2 is the fastest-selling Western MMO of all time based on the first nine months of availability," said analyst David Cole of DFC Intelligence. "This puts Guild Wars 2 in an impressive position when they release in China, where weve seen similar franchises really take off." Burying the lede, they also mention they will offer the chance to check out the game at the end of this month in a free trial:

ArenaNet also announced a free trial for players looking to experience what millions of others are already enjoying. New players can create an account starting today and participate in a free trial from 08:00 BST Friday, 23rd August to 07:59 BST Monday, 26th August. Players can register for free trial accounts here: https://register.guildwars2.com/trial.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 16:26 dj LiTh

I really really doubt that they sold more then wow its first 9 months, especially considering by their 9th month they had 4 million ACTIVE subscribers (3rd quarter)

Source

Apparently they didnt "triangulating against multiple data sources" very hard...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 16:26 deqer

Cutter wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 11:24:
Have to keep that content coming all the time regularly.
Sorry, but, being a "lifer" at playing video games is not an appropriate lifestyle to have. I'm sorry you're a hardcore that spends all your life in your cave playing games, and therefore you get bored quicker than the rest of the normal people; but that's not our problem your lifestyle is like that.

The first "M" in "MMO" stands for "Massive". With "massive" games, requires massive time to play/enjoy entirety of it. If you spent all that massive time in your cave already, then that's your problem. Don't bitch at the developers because you have an addiction that you can't moderate.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2013, 16:31.

12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 15:39 Fion

avianflu wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 15:31:
I've looked at the gameplay videos on youtube (there's tons) and the game looks fine if you actually like MMORPG's.

Personally never liked any game that had a row of cool-down timers. For me, zzzzzzz.

It does have cool-down timers but at the same time it doesn't work like other MMOGs. Combat is very active, a mix between classic tab-targeting of say WoW and modern active 'console' combat like DCUO or Tera. It's very fast paced, movement and positioning become important.

I very much recommend the trial. It's hard to describe just how good the combat is, and don't let the 'row of cooldown timers' fool you into thinking it's just WoW combat.

11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 15:38 Agent.X7

Tarnished Coast and Dragonbrand are routinely full. My friend had to sit at his PC for 6 hours checking the server status just to get on TC to make a character.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 15:31 avianflu

I've looked at the gameplay videos on youtube (there's tons) and the game looks fine if you actually like MMORPG's.

Personally never liked any game that had a row of cool-down timers. For me, zzzzzzz.

9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 14:57 JeffD

NKD wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 10:17:
And how many people are still playing?

well that is something you can find out during the free trial.. isnt it.

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 13:47 Esoteric

Found this infographic on Reddit: http://abload.de/img/gw2yearone6jkfp.png

Yeah, I think they've been pretty damn good at pumping out content at a quick rate, all for free.

7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 13:33 OpticNerve

Yeah, I'd have to say that my server and the various other servers that I've "guested" to are often either listed as "full" or close to being full capacity when I'm looking at the server browser. Now that could be an artificial label to make it look busy but Lion's Arch is always packed full of people when I hop into these other servers. I think these Living Story updates are bringing back people to the game.

And with the whole "new Living Story content every two weeks" thing, you can't really say that they're slow with the new content anymore. These updates usually add great "quality of life features" as well, such as the Wallet or Achievement Point rewards system. I'd actually like for them to slow down these updates a bit or to add on an extra week for these new updates because it can be a bit overwhelming if you have to miss out on a week due to work or other obligations.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 12:38 Seventyfive

This is one of the best MMO's out in my opinion. Everyone cooperates, very few trolls in game, trading post works great, and some of the recent mini content they put out is very fun. I really have no complaints and have bought about $35 of gems at this point.

Oh, and I've gotten 2 friends addicted as well.

As far as "who is still playing", the server I'm on (dragonbrand) is pretty busy 24/7 and jam packed on the weekends.

5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 12:31 Squirrel King

Wait... coming out with new content every 2 weeks is too slow? Not to mention each update has gotten progressively larger.  

4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 12:02 Creston

NKD wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 10:17:

The big downside to the move away from subscriptions: There are no subscription numbers to compare.

But that's a pointless statistic in this case. If nobody is paying a subscription fee, who cares how many people are still playing?

Anyway, I'm glad it's sold so well for them. Excellent game, I've definitely enjoyed my many hundreds of hours in it.

3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 11:33 jacobvandy

There aren't any population problems that I've seen, not outside the normal sparse mid-level zones that are normal for any MMO anyway. The new arena level for the current seasonal content is absolutely packed, because it's just non-stop farming of high level mobs and bosses in a relatively small space.

But that's not really relevant to a sales record, is it? I like the subscription-free model because I can pick it up again at any time and play as much or as little as I want. Depending on your standard of defining the term, you might have more 'active players' that way than with a monthly sub model.

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 11:24 Cutter

Yeah, and most everyone of those sales translated into 3-6 months of gameplay I suspect and very little else. They're just way too slow getting new content into this game. Any MMO not coming with something like the Foundry now is just stupid. Have to keep that content coming all the time regularly.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 10:17 NKD

The big downside to the move away from subscriptions: There are no subscription numbers to compare.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo