Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed

ArenaNet is claiming a sales record for Guild Wars 2, saying that selling over three million copies in nine months gives them rights to claim the title of fastest selling MMORPG in the U.S. in Europe over the first nine months, beating out whatever game previously held this coveted distinction. "After triangulating against multiple data sources, its clear that Guild Wars 2 is the fastest-selling Western MMO of all time based on the first nine months of availability," said analyst David Cole of DFC Intelligence. "This puts Guild Wars 2 in an impressive position when they release in China, where weve seen similar franchises really take off." Burying the lede, they also mention they will offer the chance to check out the game at the end of this month in a free trial:

ArenaNet also announced a free trial for players looking to experience what millions of others are already enjoying. New players can create an account starting today and participate in a free trial from 08:00 BST Friday, 23rd August to 07:59 BST Monday, 26th August. Players can register for free trial accounts here: https://register.guildwars2.com/trial.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 17, 2013, 09:22 Axis

Didn't they claim 3 million sales over 6 months ago? Yes, they did.

Anyways the game turned out exactly as I predicted, game has been a ghost town after a couple months of release.

Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 23:45 Agent.X7

Cutter wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 21:56:
Squirmer wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 19:40:
Cutter wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 11:24:
Yeah, and most everyone of those sales translated into 3-6 months of gameplay I suspect and very little else. They're just way too slow getting new content into this game. Any MMO not coming with something like the Foundry now is just stupid. Have to keep that content coming all the time regularly.
You know they release new content updates every two weeks? Granted, there's a smallish amount of content in each update, but it's still a remarkable pace. It suits their business model too, because they need people to keep logging in regularly since they don't have subscription fees to lock people in.

New quests with existing, or minimal new content, isn't new. New lands, quests, et al. to explore and do for the first time? That's new. I love what they did with GW2 - albeit the combat was too oversimplified and lack of a trinity is boring - but you go through it all once, maybe twice, and what else is there to hold you there unless it's some social guild thing?

I've been trying to get through most of the jumping puzzles, get 100% world completion, and keep up with the new content. I also have only done 3 dungeons, so I have to do those too.

Keep in mind that while I love MMOs, I don't devour the content as fast as people who only play MMOs. I am also playing a lot of the new games as they release, and I still play the shit out of BF3. So to me, it almost seems like the content comes too fast at times.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 22:40 Saboth

PHJF wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 19:30:
The gist I got from people after they'd have sufficient exposure to Guild Wars 2 was that for all its hype it still ended up being merely evolutionary.

I enjoyed it, but it got stale after a few months. The world is fantastic, as is the game, but I need regular upgrades to be happy, and it felt like the end-game gear did not vary much at all (looking mostly at PVP gear). I also rolled on one of the lowest population servers, so we were always stomped in realm v realm. In the end, it was the 3 loser servers against each other every week, which also got old.

31. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 22:08 jacobvandy

The LACK of a trinity is boring? Now that's ironic.  

30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 21:56 Cutter

Squirmer wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 19:40:
Yeah, and most everyone of those sales translated into 3-6 months of gameplay I suspect and very little else. They're just way too slow getting new content into this game. Any MMO not coming with something like the Foundry now is just stupid. Have to keep that content coming all the time regularly.
You know they release new content updates every two weeks? Granted, there's a smallish amount of content in each update, but it's still a remarkable pace. It suits their business model too, because they need people to keep logging in regularly since they don't have subscription fees to lock people in.

New quests with existing, or minimal new content, isn't new. New lands, quests, et al. to explore and do for the first time? That's new. I love what they did with GW2 - albeit the combat was too oversimplified and lack of a trinity is boring - but you go through it all once, maybe twice, and what else is there to hold you there unless it's some social guild thing?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

29. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 21:41 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 17:34:
deqer wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 16:26:
Have to keep that content coming all the time regularly.
Sorry, but, being a "lifer" at playing video games is not an appropriate lifestyle to have. I'm sorry you're a hardcore that spends all your life in your cave playing games, and therefore you get bored quicker than the rest of the normal people; but that's not our problem your lifestyle is like that.

The first "M" in "MMO" stands for "Massive". With "massive" games, requires massive time to play/enjoy entirety of it. If you spent all that massive time in your cave already, then that's your problem. Don't bitch at the developers because you have an addiction that you can't moderate.

And another troll joins the ranks on the ignore list.

Gratzies on the most ironic statement I've ever seen you make : )

Plus... How the hell was he not on your list already?

-Alamar

28. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 21:05 jacobvandy

They've said they're not working on full-size expansions like they had for the first GW, but I'd be very surprised if they don't have significantly larger content updates on the back burner for release every year or so. They have a LOT of space on their world map that they can/will expand to, and I think these smaller activities and "living story" bits are just holding us over until then.  

27. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 20:00 Cram

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 15:38:
Tarnished Coast and Dragonbrand are routinely full. My friend had to sit at his PC for 6 hours checking the server status just to get on TC to make a character.

On TC too, always packed. Routinely put into overflows, even in zones with no world bosses or anything important going on.

I really like this game, but it sometimes feels like it's missing a soul or something. There's no one particular area, mission or dungeon that I find "memorable". WoW, on the other hand, has dozens of memorable zones/quests/dungeons/raids that elicits some emotional response. Yes, WoW is far older than GW2. So I have hope.

26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 19:40 Squirmer

25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 19:30 PHJF

The gist I got from people after they'd have sufficient exposure to Guild Wars 2 was that for all its hype it still ended up being merely evolutionary.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 19:21 NKD

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 19:19:
Sorry, but, being a "lifer" at playing video games is not an appropriate lifestyle to have. I'm sorry you're a hardcore that spends all your life in your cave playing games, and therefore you get bored quicker than the rest of the normal people; but that's not our problem your lifestyle is like that.

The first "M" in "MMO" stands for "Massive". With "massive" games, requires massive time to play/enjoy entirety of it. If you spent all that massive time in your cave already, then that's your problem. Don't bitch at the developers because you have an addiction that you can't moderate.

I thought everyone had already ignored him.

I keep deqer off ignore because watching his rapidly progressing dementia gives me a sick form of pleasure. It's like why I watch Fred Phelps aka Hellbinder rather than ignore him.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

23. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 19:19 Agent.X7

I thought everyone had already ignored him.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 19:18 Agent.X7

OpticNerve wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 17:07:
Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 16:53:
dj LiTh wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 16:26:
I really really doubt that they sold more then wow its first 9 months, especially considering by their 9th month they had 4 million ACTIVE subscribers (3rd quarter)

Source

Apparently they didnt "triangulating against multiple data sources" very hard...

Of course, since WoW launched Nov 23, 2004, it is quite possible that GW2 did beat WoW sales in the first 9 months. If it hit 4 million in Q3 it could have hit 4 million after the 9 month mark.

Do I believe GW2 outsold WoW in the first 9 months? Yes. Why? Because after the first 4 months of WoW it became impossible to find the game for a while. They sold so fast they ran out of inventory. GW2 has never run out of inventory, so it's entirely possible it did sell more.

Actually I do remember ArenaNet stopping sales of GW2 on their official site for a month or so due to how fully-packed all the servers were.

They did stop selling it online, but it was still available in stores.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

21. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 18:11 dj LiTh

I really really doubt that they sold more then wow its first 9 months, especially considering by their 9th month they had 4 million ACTIVE subscribers (3rd quarter)

Source

Apparently they didnt "triangulating against multiple data sources" very hard...

Of course, since WoW launched Nov 23, 2004, it is quite possible that GW2 did beat WoW sales in the first 9 months. If it hit 4 million in Q3 it could have hit 4 million after the 9 month mark.

Do I believe GW2 outsold WoW in the first 9 months? Yes. Why? Because after the first 4 months of WoW it became impossible to find the game for a while. They sold so fast they ran out of inventory. GW2 has never run out of inventory, so it's entirely possible it did sell more.

What your failing to realize is, is that the 4million wow players, those were active subscribers at the time, add about a million others who probably bought the game and just didnt sub longer then 9 months and it puts arenanets statement into context.

20. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 17:57 NKD

JeffD wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 14:57:
NKD wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 10:17:
And how many people are still playing?

well that is something you can find out during the free trial.. isnt it.

Probably not. My anecdotal observations about how many people are playing don't tell anyone anything of value.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 17:34 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 17:30 Total-Khaos

The problem with this claim is that it cannot be scrutinized. The report created by DFC Intelligence was not made public, so there is no way to verify any of ArenaNet's claims. Release the report to the public and then we'll talk.  

17. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 17:07 OpticNerve

Source

Actually I do remember ArenaNet stopping sales of GW2 on their official site for a month or so due to how fully-packed all the servers were.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 16:53 Agent.X7

Source

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 16:46 MoreLuckThanSkill

Source

Well, the news blurb specifically says the US and Europe, for 9 months, so I am sure they checked. WoW probably sold more worldwide in its first 9 months, but maybe not just in those areas.

I haven't played GW2 yet, but I may get into this free trial.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo