Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed

ArenaNet is claiming a sales record for Guild Wars 2, saying that selling over three million copies in nine months gives them rights to claim the title of fastest selling MMORPG in the U.S. in Europe over the first nine months, beating out whatever game previously held this coveted distinction. "After triangulating against multiple data sources, its clear that Guild Wars 2 is the fastest-selling Western MMO of all time based on the first nine months of availability," said analyst David Cole of DFC Intelligence. "This puts Guild Wars 2 in an impressive position when they release in China, where weve seen similar franchises really take off." Burying the lede, they also mention they will offer the chance to check out the game at the end of this month in a free trial:

ArenaNet also announced a free trial for players looking to experience what millions of others are already enjoying. New players can create an account starting today and participate in a free trial from 08:00 BST Friday, 23rd August to 07:59 BST Monday, 26th August. Players can register for free trial accounts here: https://register.guildwars2.com/trial.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 20, 2013, 07:12 Redmask

You were wrong and it is very big of you to admit just how wrong you were. I accept your apology and admission of failure.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 20, 2013, 00:13 Axis

Most of you regular guys are way too uptight and quick to hold each others hands in sad denial.

Glad I don't frequent this forum cesspool of brownnewsers expected regurgitation often enough to care.

Yours truly,

Axis

52. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 19, 2013, 22:45 Redmask

He already admitted failure when he failed to post anything to support his wild claims.

Dear lord, stop quoting him...no one wants to see that shit.

Ok will do.

51. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 19, 2013, 16:17 Verno

What a bunch of utter fucking nonsense, LOL. Words can't even...yeah, just wow  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

50. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 19, 2013, 15:43 Axis

Verno wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 14:16:
The game has been out for a long time now, people have plenty of info to make up their own mind. The game was obviously a financial success, whether it will it holds up for years to come will depend on expansions more than anything else. I'm sure they appreciate all of this free PR though

I'd love for the game to 'take off' with some surprising expansion that makes it worth playing more -- I have a bazillion gems just waiting to be used.

I really don't care what game/company/ip/platform succeeds or fails, whether I like it or not. I call it as I see it through as neutral a lens as possible and more than humble to admit my missteps - rare as they happen.

Yours truly,

Axis

49. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 19, 2013, 14:16 Verno

The game has been out for a long time now, people have plenty of info to make up their own mind. The game was obviously a financial success, whether it will it holds up for years to come will depend on expansions more than anything else. I'm sure they appreciate all of this free PR though  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

48. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 19, 2013, 13:54 Axis

nin wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 13:52:
Redmask wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 07:08:
Axis wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 19:05:
<throws turds at wall>

Cite your facts with statistics otherwise they are meaningless. I still play and the servers seem quite active, as are the official forums.

Nin I'm not sure what you have against me, but seriously you can go fuck off I'm sick of your incessant trolling me. And aren't you like some bluesdude, aren't you supposed to be above all the bullshit?

I provide more meaningful honest shit to this site than 99% of your brownewsers who just bend over each other all the time.

Yours truly,

Axis

47. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 19, 2013, 13:52 nin

<throws turds at wall>

Cite your facts with statistics otherwise they are meaningless. I still play and the servers seem quite active, as are the official forums.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

46. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 19, 2013, 13:45 Axis

I guess my only facts are the EMPTY SERVER ZONES and DEAD FORUMS. But facts... not even arenanet will tell you their embarrassing news (cause if it was good, you'd hear about it)

Cite your facts with statistics otherwise they are meaningless. Show me some recent screenshots of major activity -- and not the PVP shared server maps where all the people are condensed from every single server and the ONLY place you'll find more people in 2 or 3 maps at best. I'll post billions of screenshots showing ghost towns everywhere.

The servers are scarce and the forums have been lifeless up until their FREE announcement. Care to explain exactly how those "facts" would garner statistics? Oh ya, only by arenanet talking about actives which they would never because it's so embarrassing to them.

Who the hell you people trying to fool -- it only takes 10 minutes for anyone who bought it to log in and look around, or load up the forum and compare it to any decently 'active' MMO forum. Almost every 'section' in the GW2 official forum has posts from a month or more gone by on the FIRST page. Or read any of the numerous repetitive posts proving the lack of people from highly actives who actually still give a shit. GW2guru have been lifeless even longer, but that as the premiere site guys for gw1. Noobs everywhere these days. Those are some facts for you.

Keep wasting your breath if you want, but you're only fooling yourself.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2013, 13:57.

Yours truly,

Axis

45. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 19, 2013, 07:08 Redmask

I guess my only facts are the EMPTY SERVER ZONES and DEAD FORUMS. But facts... not even arenanet will tell you their embarrassing news (cause if it was good, you'd hear about it)

44. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 18, 2013, 21:16 Ant

I thought GW2 was free (no subscription). Just have to buy the game?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

43. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 17, 2013, 23:58 Axis

Fair enough Optic. And you draw very well.  

Yours truly,

Axis

42. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 17, 2013, 20:05 OpticNerve

Sure there's people who play, pockets of people who love it enough to keep it going is all there is.

So let me get this straight, you think Guild Wars 2 has a bustling community, servers filled or even somewhat populated on a daily basis? Am I getting this right?

I guess my only facts are the EMPTY SERVER ZONES and DEAD FORUMS. But facts... not even arenanet will tell you their embarrassing news (cause if it was good, you'd hear about it).

And please point me out to any self-indulgent ego stoking boasts, while I tend to stay away from those, they do sneak in once in awhile. I just don't see any that could be defined as such recently.

And the Wii U, well that book isn't quite written. But if it ends up failing, I'll be glad to admit it. Unlike you and your unwavering fanboi love for GW2.

I don't really know how to explain how some few "empty server zones" does not equate to people not playing GW2. I can understand that would be the case if it was for EVERY zone, but it isn't. Every and any MMO will have zones that have less people once content for that area is finished or cleared out (even WoW). But I have yet to see a zone on my server that's completely empty and doesn't have at least some people roaming around or map chatting. It is hardly a Ghost Town.

There's still a lot of people playing on my server or the servers I Guest to once in a while. They're either running the various dungeons, doing WvW (which is annoyingly filled to capacity in peak times on my server), sPvP, doing Dailies, doing Monthlies, rotating through World Bosses, running Guild Missions (if they're in a big guild), going to various areas to farm Champions (due to them now possibly dropping unique weapon skins), getting 100% world completion, farming for Karma or doing the various Living Story stuff. Or in most cases, just hanging out at Lion's Arch.

I don't pay attention to gw2guru so maybe it IS dead in that site's forums but the official forums seem busy enough. Particularly the Living Story section which I would think contains most of the active people due to the nature of the constant Living Story updates.

I'm hardly an unwavering fanboi of GW2. I really do enjoy it and it was a great purchase for me given how much I play it, but it's hardly a perfect MMO. It wasn't as revolutionary as Anet kept hyping up and was merely evolutionary. It's personal story was a complete joke with wasted potential, the dialog scenes are boring (compared to the traditional cutscenes in The Secret World), Anet's slow to add in features that they initially said they would (Guesting took forever to implement and there is yet a peep about Guild Halls), it's only lately that Anet's found a way for players to spread out more and stop hanging out in the same areas through dailies, monthlies, champion-specific weapon skins, world boss loot and Living Story areas, and GW2 succumbs to the annoying nerf/buff hammer that MMOs always have to deal with that pisses off players.

The game isn't for everyone (I didn't begrudge anyone for hating the game in other GW2 threads on here) but saying that it's a "Ghost Town" is just false,a flat out lie and I have to speak out when it's abundant to a regular player that it isn't.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2013, 04:05.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

41. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 17, 2013, 19:05 Axis

Sure there's people who play, pockets of people who love it enough to keep it going is all there is.

So let me get this straight, you think Guild Wars 2 has a bustling community, servers filled or even somewhat populated on a daily basis? Am I getting this right?

I guess my only facts are the EMPTY SERVER ZONES and DEAD FORUMS. But facts... not even arenanet will tell you their embarrassing news (cause if it was good, you'd hear about it).

And please point me out to any self-indulgent ego stoking boasts, while I tend to stay away from those, they do sneak in once in awhile. I just don't see any that could be defined as such recently.

And the Wii U, well that book isn't quite written. But if it ends up failing, I'll be glad to admit it. Unlike you and your unwavering fanboi love for GW2.

Yours truly,

Axis

40. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 17, 2013, 18:53 OpticNerve

Axis wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 17:48:
OpticNerve wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 16:12:
Axis wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 15:19:
OpticNerve wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 14:45:
Axis wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 09:22:
Anyways the game turned out exactly as I predicted, game has been a ghost town after a couple months of release.

Riiiiiiiight... a ghost town. Uh huh.

lol maybe you should check once in awhile.

You don't like to read do you? Check the earlier posts here Sherlock.

Sherlock doesn't make decisions based on one person making a claim.

Go log in once in awhile, you'll find out within a week of logging in every day. Been less and less since the 3 month mark. Check the forums (and gw2guru), virtually lifeless. Sure there's more this week - they opened it up to everyone for free. No Sherlock needed - just experience.

Game has one of the most limited replayability and hold factor than any AAA 'mmo' to date.

I sure do need to log in GW2 once in a while. Cause I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to how active the community is in the game huh?

http://www.xfire.com/profile/theopticnerve :Rolleyes:

Noooope. Given how often I still play the game, I'm pretty sure I know more about what's going on with the current game than you do. And that's with me being really busy with work for the past month or so. I don't need to rely on some forum activity given that I'm actually you know, playing the game and seeing it for myself?

And I'm not the only one in this thread stating that servers are still busy or full in GW2. Perhaps one day you'll actually find factual evidence to back up your self-indulgent boasts and ego-stroking need to try and be correct about something.

How's that Wii U doing by the way? Sure is burning up sales charts like you predicted huh?

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2013, 04:02.

39. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 17, 2013, 17:48 Axis

OpticNerve wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 16:12:
Anyways the game turned out exactly as I predicted, game has been a ghost town after a couple months of release.

Sherlock doesn't make decisions based on one person making a claim.

Go log in once in awhile, you'll find out within a week of logging in every day. Been less and less since the 3 month mark. Check the forums (and gw2guru), virtually lifeless. Sure there's more this week - they opened it up to everyone for free. No Sherlock needed - just experience.

Game has one of the most limited replayability and hold factor than any AAA 'mmo' to date.

Yours truly,

Axis

38. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 17, 2013, 16:26 Suppa7

Cram wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 20:00:
WoW, on the other hand, has dozens of memorable zones/quests/dungeons/raids that elicits some emotional response. Yes, WoW is far older than GW2. So I have hope.

If you think WoW is memorable you must be extremely young, I've played games since the 80's and WoW was total garbage. It would seem amazing and memorable for young people who didn't grow up on videogames since the 80's.

WoW was the start of dumbing down of games on mass. RPG's have had battle systems destroyed, dumbed down to chimp level because of WoW. WoW and Guild wars are cancers, they are everything gaming shouldn't be in terms of RPG battle systems. While they have shiny graphics, their game mechanics are shallow.

You can't expect 'soul' or 'deep mechanics' from MMO's it goes against their audience that hates gameplay. For some reason, MMO's and RPG's in general attract people who hate deep video game mechanics.

I wouldn't hesitate to even call them non-gamers.

37. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 17, 2013, 16:12 OpticNerve

36. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 17, 2013, 15:19 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

35. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 17, 2013, 14:45 OpticNerve

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo