Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Interviews

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 16, 2013, 20:05 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 11:43:
Also it'll depend on their sales as well. Let's say they do make a fantastic game and it goes on to sell like gangbusters. Well, if they can finance it themselves I won't be inclined to back them either. Same reason as I never even considered giving dime one to guys like Gariott, Molyneux, et al.

Fully agree. They are really going to have to be very open about why they need to raise money from the community again. It will be interesting to see how many of these KS devs will be honest and forthcoming when the second round is up.
After all it is Kick-starter . It's supposed to help them get off the ground, kick things off and get started. It's not really meant to be a perpetual source of income.
In regular old school economics: Your earnings drive the investment in future growth so the KS devs should have to become self-sustaining if their projects are successful.

How many of these studios will be able to sustain themselves just from the initial KS and the following sales success?
Actually, I would almost go as far as saying that any studio that fails to be self-sustaining needs to shut down because then the business model is terminally flawed.

It will be interesting to see what is going to happen with regard to follow-up projects but I'm sure that many of us will be way more hesitant to donate if we know that the devs are bathing in money.
The only way I would consider a contribution in such cases is if the dev is as open and forthcoming as e.g. Larian Studios who raised money for Divinity Original Sin saying that they won't need the funds to finish the game but that they want to put the KS funds towards extra polishing and the marketing budget to make the game a success.
They laid down a clear plan and it was easy to support them on these grounds.
Let's hope other devs will be equally smart so KS doesn't get tarnished in the fallout of greedy second helpings.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 19:33 Rigs

God, I fucking hate Fargo...He ran Interplay into the ground, had to have his hand in nearly everything, and now goes around saying, 'waa, waa, poor me, look what I had to go through!'...pitiful, pathetic jackass...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

1. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 16, 2013, 11:43 Cutter

RPS: Do you think that, as a company, for whatever the next thing is once you’re done with Wasteland and you’re on Torment, will Kickstarter crowdfunding be where you go for that too? No more publishers?

Fargo: I don’t see why we wouldn’t stay with it. You can look at it from a persepective of… Obviously it would only be predicated on us delivering a Wasteland that everybody loves. Now we’ve delivered a game, and they did it. To go back again, you could look at it from one perspective of, “Hey, that way we can get the game cheaper than if we bought it at the final price.” But there’s this whole dialogue and this whole vetting of the idea. If I want to go do something, well, maybe it’s a good idea and maybe it’s not. To me, it ferrets out all these different issues. It opens up a dialogue that we love. I think it’s a great way of doing business. I couldn’t see stopping it.

Let's not jump the gun here. We've barely seen anything released so far that's been KS'd in the last year or so and especially the bigger projects. Hell just look at the fallout from what's going on with Double Fine. Whether consistently good projects - that come in on time as well - are made from KS'd projects will be the determining factor. For example, I wouldn't give Harebrained anymore money now.

Also it'll depend on their sales as well. Let's say they do make a fantastic game and it goes on to sell like gangbusters. Well, if they can finance it themselves I won't be inclined to back them either. Same reason as I never even considered giving dime one to guys like Gariott, Molyneux, et al.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo