Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Yesterday I paid the price for wearing the flimsy surfer shoes I recently mentioned re-discovering after a long search. I was walking the pooches when I managed to bang my foot against a protruding bit of sidewalk, giving myself a nasty pain on the ball of the foot right where the big toe is attached. This turns out to be a spot that gets a lot of wear-and-tear that one doesn't think about until it hurts, but it bears a lot of weight when I walk, and is the *exact* spot that depresses the clutch when I drive. At least it's my left foot, so my ass-kicking foot is still in order, and I'm ready if any NFL teams come calling for a placekicker, but I'm basically a gimpy mess at the moment.

Gimpy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Need Water.
Crazy Old Man.
Links: Google's Definition of Literally Literally Isn't Literal. Thanks CNN.
Stories: The Government Now Admits There's an 'Area 51'. Thanks HARDOCP.
What PBS owes to 'Honey Boo Boo'. Thanks reddit.
Seattle Police hand out free Doritos at Seattle Hempfest.
Science: New species is first carnivore found in the Americas in 35 years.
Media: Fake White Shark Week?
Follow-up: "Ender's Game" Author Causes New Headache. Thanks nin.
The Funnies: NASA gives up on resurrecting Kepler telescope.
Hostess Relaunches Twinkies as Dude Food.
Russian meteor left a dusty mess in the stratosphere.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2013, 17:19 Sepharo

My car before was a 2001 Mercury Sable which was a rebadge/variant of the Taurus. I like big sedans but also wanted speed and luxury... so Taurus SHO was perfect, other option would've been a Lincoln MKS but it's slower.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2013, 16:07 nin

I also love driving. Back in April I picked up a 2013 Taurus SHO

Wow, I didn't know they still made the Taurus...

Looking at pictures, I see they finally dumped the 90s model design I equate with the name.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2013, 15:09 Sepharo

I also love driving. Back in April I picked up a 2013 Taurus SHO with the performance package. I basically got it so I could drive like a wild man and not have to worry so much about the car. Some people don't like that adaptive steering or whatever it's called but I like being able to go into a sharp turn at 50 and have the car take care of it Also now if somebody's driving is bothering me I can pass them in a moment regardless of my or their current speed. It's a heavy car but it's a beast 3.5L 365hp twin-turbo, 0-60 in 5.2 . Also while I didn't get the luxury model upgrades (it was actually a little hard to get a package that had the performance but not the luxury upgrade) it's still extremely nice inside. Out of all the cool ancillary shit it does/has, one of my favorites is the adjusting seat and wheel. So when I turn the car off the wheel goes up and the seat goes back and then when I get back in the opposite happens, push the start button and it slides me into position. It can also hold multiple settings like that if there's more than one driver. Makes it easier for me to get out of the car with my work bag and usually my lunch/dinner all in one go.  

30. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2013, 11:39 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 15:04:
RollinThundr wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 12:00:
You're aware Obama and Holder and company expanded the patriot act beyond how it was originally implemented right?
I know, right? Bush argued against and voted against the Patriot act! Oh, wait.

Was it wrong when Bush enacted the thing? Yes yes it was. It's been even worse expanded by a democrat with delusions of narcissism.
I know, right? Obama flew that jet onto that aircraft carrier and gave that "Mission Accomplished" speech, he was so full of hubris! Oh, wait.

I think the difference between the two is I never feared the idea of Bush or the Republicans wanting some form of totalitarian control.
I know, right? When Obama had all those people kidnapped, and illegally moved to black sites, and tortured, and started that program to monitor everyone's email and phone calls! Oh, wait.

I fear that constantly with Liberals.
I know, right? Liberals have enacted some of the most totalitarian laws in the US: Women's suffrage, Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, Social Security, gay marriage. Oh, wait.

It's not hard to see who Obama's surrounded himself with his entire life, from the racist reverend who's church pews he sat in for 20 years, to the Bill Ayers types and so on.
I know, right? Don't forget Obama is best buds with that homophobic Billy Graham. And he looked into Putin's eyes and saw his soul. Oh, wait.

I'll ask again how's that Hopey changy shit working out for you?

Not as well as I'd hoped given that the Republicans block all of his initiatives, even ones proposed by Republicans themselves.

It's funny, I seem to recall King Obama saying he would stop all the spying. He expands it, and you pat him on the back because. wait for it. BUSH!!! THOSE EVIL REPUBLICANS!

Face up to it, the guy is a terrible leader and just as bad if not worse than Bush was. Oh wait theres a D at the end of his name, I forgot any bullshit is excusable when you have a democrat tag at the end of your name.

I doubt Bush would ever order drone strikes on US citizens btw. Obama? Not so sure.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2013, 03:20 Aero

If they could make a real proper mechanical sequential shift (like in a racing car with auto blip and lift), now *that* would be something.

The "shiftronic" crap they sell is worse than an automatic. The paddles are more like suggesting a gear than actually changing a gear.

A Formula 1 car can blip or lift, and shit gears in a few tens of milliseconds. I would be so down for that. The only problem there, of course, is you need to rebuild the transmission every couple hundred miles. If they can make those durable, that would be great.

I enjoy a manual because it is much more engaging. It does have a few drawbacks though. For instance, I have to come to an almost complete stop at a two-way yield because I'd typically be in third at that point, which isn't enough torque to get me moving if I notice a car and hae to accelerate, but I'm going a little too fast to downshift to 2nd reliably (and that's a bit hard on the transmission).

Worst of all, though, is when you pull up to a light behind a line of cars with automatics and they all stop, and then ride the brake to snuggle up to the car in front. In a manual, I have to declutch, shift into first, ride the clutch to move slowly forward a few feet, and then engage the clutch again. Annoying, and hard on the clutch.

Don't get me wrong, all things considered, I'd rather have a manual, but there are benefits to an automatic.

I didn't know that a CVT worked by keeping the engine in its optimum power band at all time (which would be good for mileage), but the peak power is frequently a good deal more RPM than peak torque which is what I want to accelerate. I'll have to give one a try.

Of course, in Blue's Vette, he can probably accelerate faster in 5th gear than I could in first driving any of the manuals I've owned before.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2013, 01:29 xXBatmanXx

Drove a CVT in the Jeep Patriot when they firt came out (06?) and didn't like it. Just doesn't "feel" right. And I had the concearns about break downs, durability, etc.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 23:08 Pigeon

I test drove some CVTs a few weeks ago, the accord and the altima. I thought they were actually pretty nice. I found the Honda's a bit more responsive, but then its gas milage wasn't quite as good. If you're a manual driver and like feeling the shifting CVTs will probably drive you nuts, but if you're used to automatics there's a good chance you'll like 'em. I've heard varying and wide ranging claims about their reliability. Probably no better or worse than anything else.

Aero wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 18:40:
I finally gave up on a manual transmission a few days ago after driving them all my life. I think it's got something to do with getting older. I used to enjoy driving more. Now it's kind of just a chore. I want something comfy and easy to handle, and where I can drink my morning coffee and smoke my morning cigarette without the juggling act.

I'm interested in CVTs though. They're still a little new for me to really consider investing in one (want to see how they fair 5 and 10 years on), but they ought to give the best of both worlds.

I definitely do not like flooring the throttle, and then having the car actually decelerate for 0.5 seconds while it decides to downshift. Driving an automatic, you really do have to consider your throttle inputs a lot more carefully.

Orson Scott Card is nuts and he should shut his gob. He wrote some good books back in the day, though. A lot of good scifi writers are nuts though (Phillip Dick, for example), but usually in a more of an interesting, eccentric way. He's just run-of-the-mill far-right nuts.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 21:58 Cutter

Pfft, I love driving. I hate traffic and all the BS city driving entails, but I love driving itself. Hell, I'd be a trucker if I didn't have to deal with traffic. Love road trips. Hate most everyone else driving.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 21:57 Rigs

So that's a 'No' on the Sims4 first screens, or was it posted before? Pouting

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 20:49 jacobvandy

Congrats to 7 Days to Die for making it's final stretch goal of $500k on Kickstarter yesterday! (That includes "Major World Terrain Enhancement" for smooth landscapes instead of cubes, while retaining full destructibility/buildability.) If you backed it or pre-ordered before the campaign, you should have an email with instructions on how to download the alpha.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 20:34 Tom

Well I still like to drive, even in the city, with a stick. Guess I ain't gettin' too old yet. But I had to drive an auto the other day, for the first time in ages. Except this one had a CVT which was a first for me. There's nothing so sickeningly dull as having the engine maintain constant speed as you accelerate. NO THANKS!

And fake shift paddles ain't gonna cut it either. Would you take a veggieburger over the real thing? No. Not unless you have to for some reason. Right? Ok, maybe you would eh. Not me. Hell no!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3RNsZvdYZQ

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 19:54 MajorD

jdreyer wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 19:26:
@ Aero. Yeah, I don't even want to drive anymore. I look forward to our self driving robot overlord cars.

I couldn't help it, this was the first thing that came to mind reading your post.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 19:41 Cyanotetyphas

Who the hell likes to drive? Maybe its because I've always been in a big city but it's a massive chore.

Lots of cars come with semi-manual now too (sportshift or shifttronic or whatever) if you want a little more control. Although, it seems like they remove the overdrive when you're in that mode. There is also shift and rev limiters so you can't do anything too weird or shift too early.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 19:26 jdreyer

@ Aero. Yeah, I don't even want to drive anymore. I look forward to our self driving robot overlord cars.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 18:40 Aero

I finally gave up on a manual transmission a few days ago after driving them all my life. I think it's got something to do with getting older. I used to enjoy driving more. Now it's kind of just a chore. I want something comfy and easy to handle, and where I can drink my morning coffee and smoke my morning cigarette without the juggling act.

I'm interested in CVTs though. They're still a little new for me to really consider investing in one (want to see how they fair 5 and 10 years on), but they ought to give the best of both worlds.

I definitely do not like flooring the throttle, and then having the car actually decelerate for 0.5 seconds while it decides to downshift. Driving an automatic, you really do have to consider your throttle inputs a lot more carefully.

Orson Scott Card is nuts and he should shut his gob. He wrote some good books back in the day, though. A lot of good scifi writers are nuts though (Phillip Dick, for example), but usually in a more of an interesting, eccentric way. He's just run-of-the-mill far-right nuts.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 18:28 xXBatmanXx

The 2 parties are the same - some of you still think that is not the case.

http://youtu.be/_QT8Q-Hcll0

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 18:12 MajorD

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 12:55:
Ugh this is going to go downhill quickly.

LOL! Too funny Verno.......No need for me to finish reading the posts now, so I think I'll stop here......

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 16:51 Hoop

Blue it's not like you to not put your best foot forward, I'm certain with a little practice you could foot it with the best of them, if not then something is a foot.  

Um .. Behind you...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 15:29 Narf2029

That's the highlight of American shortsightedness - Republican presidents start imperialistic wars, and when they can't get them done before a Democrat gets elected, Republicans throw everything they've got into making it look like the Democrat's fault that we're over there in wherever - and the average American buys it every time. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on- hang on, American Idol is about to start! I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2013, 15:34.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 15:13 jdreyer

What PBS owes to 'Honey Boo Boo'.

I'm glad that PBS still makes great TV and survived Republican attempts to dismantle it. A decade ago, Discovery, History, and even A & E were still producing good TV, but that's about when they started to jump the shark and do Alien Abduction "documentaries" and such. And that's when I canceled cable. Those channels have gone even further down the rabbit hole now with reality TV.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo