Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft

GamesIndustry International has word that former Steam boss Jason Holtman has joined Microsoft, with word one of his focuses is Windows gaming. "Yes, I have joined Microsoft where I will be focusing on making Windows a great platform for gaming and interactive entertainment," he tells them. "I think there is a lot of opportunity for Microsoft to deliver the games and entertainment customers want and to work with developers to make that happen, so I'm excited to be here."

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

16. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 05:49 Julio

I'm sure he'll enjoy his retirement at Microsoft with nothing to do.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 05:10 Ladron3dfx

Kristian Joensen wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 02:38:
Flo wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 02:33:
They should have just made a deal with Valve to integrate steam out of the box. This would have made a lot of nerds very happy. The same nerds that released the shitstorm complaining about the Xbox One DRM when it was really just a copy of the steam DRM.
It was NOT a copy of Steam's DRM. Steam does NOT require a authentication once every 24 hours.

I thought the Steam client authenticates when signing in, authenticates when the game is initiated and authenticates on a periodic bases while the client is running in the background while gaming.

It was a better version of the Steam DRM, more lenient, family sharing, a new method of selling used disc based games and even used digital games I believe. You certainly can't sell your unwanted digital games on Steam, it's forbidden. You can't even gift your unwanted games to anyone, even family members. Shame. What a shame.

Steamworks

14. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 05:06 Scud

Flo wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 02:45:
Remember the last time you were offline more than 24 hours? Me neither. You are right, though, it was not a copy, it was better actually. Games lending and all. But that's a moot point now. I'm not saying Microsoft did a good job (they didn't) but consumers never want innovation, they want the stuff they already have (xbox 360 and ps3 with better graphics).

Sure consumers want innovation, but the so called "innovations" were all aimed at appeasing the business end of things, not the consumer. And the industry wanted prettier graphics as much as or even more than the consumer because eye candy is much easier to develop and sell than new gameplay concepts.

13. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 03:55 NKD

Prez wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 03:13:

Wow, talk about going in the wrong direction!

Well Dear Leader Gaben fired him with all those other folks back in February for whatever reason. Maybe he wore the wrong color robe or sacrificed the wrong animal at a staff meeting.

So I'd say MS is a nice place to land, considering.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

12. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 03:13 Prez

Wow, talk about going in the wrong direction!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 02:45 Flo

Kristian Joensen wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 02:38:
They should have just made a deal with Valve to integrate steam out of the box. This would have made a lot of nerds very happy. The same nerds that released the shitstorm complaining about the Xbox One DRM when it was really just a copy of the steam DRM.
It was NOT a copy of Steam's DRM. Steam does NOT require a authentication once every 24 hours.
Remember the last time you were offline more than 24 hours? Me neither. You are right, though, it was not a copy, it was better actually. Games lending and all. But that's a moot point now. I'm not saying Microsoft did a good job (they didn't) but consumers never want innovation, they want the stuff they already have (xbox 360 and ps3 with better graphics).

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

10. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 02:38 Kristian Joensen

9. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 02:33 Flo

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

8. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 02:12 jdreyer

Well, after the debacle that was XB1, this can only be a good thing. Bring in a guy who comes from a successful program of giving gamers what they want AND making gobs of money for Valve, and this could be the turnaround MS needs.

The proof in the pudding will be if any XB1 exclusives like Titanfall are also released simultaneously for Win PC. Giving consumers that choice instead of creating ill will by restricting to one platform will be the tell.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

7. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 00:46 Creston

"Yes, I have joined Microsoft where I will be focusing on making Windows a great platform for gaming and interactive entertainment," he tells them. "I think there is a lot of opportunity for Microsoft to deliver the games and entertainment customers want and to work with developers to make that happen, so I'm excited to be here."

Stage One: Denial.

Poor deluded fool.

6. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 00:40 DangerDog

What an easy job, zero games to develop for and you still get a pay check.

Did he not get the memo that Microsoft only considers xbox one a gaming platform?

5. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 00:17 El Pit

He's working on making GFWL even more obnoxious.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

4. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 14, 2013, 23:03 Cutter

No shit there's a lot of potential and that's all it will remain. Ballmer and co. just don't get it and never will. So everything you try to do will be for naught.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

3. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 14, 2013, 23:02 Redmask

Good luck with that, Microsoft has been neglecting PC gaming for well over 10 years now. They only care about leveraging Xbox consumers for all they're worth. We don't need Microsoft anymore, hell even the operating system itself will be in jeopardy over the next 5 years as competitors rise on other devices.  

2. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 14, 2013, 23:00 Orogogus

Ratty wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 22:53:
Traitor

Possibly a sign that you take video games way too seriously.

1. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 14, 2013, 22:53 Ratty

Traitor  

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo