Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft

GamesIndustry International has word that former Steam boss Jason Holtman has joined Microsoft, with word one of his focuses is Windows gaming. "Yes, I have joined Microsoft where I will be focusing on making Windows a great platform for gaming and interactive entertainment," he tells them. "I think there is a lot of opportunity for Microsoft to deliver the games and entertainment customers want and to work with developers to make that happen, so I'm excited to be here."

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 17, 2013, 02:55 Ladron3dfx

wtf_man wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 21:35:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 21:01:
How does it do that?

After around 30 days, the steam icon in the system tray disappears and you can't launch your steam games anymore without going online (then going back into offline mode again, if you want to stay offline).

You're entire library stops functioning after 30 days? Games that cost $50-$60 each on release become inaccessible after 30 days in offline mode until an internet connection is established?

Well, isn't that something.

Steamworks
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 16, 2013, 14:51 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 23:44:
How does it do that?

After around 30 days, the steam icon in the system tray disappears and you can't launch your steam games anymore without going online (then going back into offline mode again, if you want to stay offline).

Never knew that. That's pretty shitty, I assumed you could verify once and be offline forever if that's what you wanted to do.

Nah when you go offline it calculates a token based on the date and compares it once in awhile. Personally I think 30 days is pretty reasonable and benign as far as DRM goes. You can keep a gaming PC pristine without going to such measures as well but to each his own

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

34. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 16, 2013, 04:14 InBlack

Creston wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 00:46:
"Yes, I have joined Microsoft where I will be focusing on making Windows a great platform for gaming and interactive entertainment," he tells them. "I think there is a lot of opportunity for Microsoft to deliver the games and entertainment customers want and to work with developers to make that happen, so I'm excited to be here."

Stage One: Denial.

Poor deluded fool.

I dont think he is deluded. I think that he was probably laughing his ass off while writing that, laughing all the way to the bank. He probably sat on his ass all day at Valve, so I guess it cant be much worse at MS.

I have a nifty blue line!

33. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 23:44 Sepharo

How does it do that?

Never knew that. That's pretty shitty, I assumed you could verify once and be offline forever if that's what you wanted to do.

32. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 21:35 wtf_man

How does it do that?

31. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 21:01 Sepharo

wtf_man wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 18:34:
It pisses me off that Steam makes me login once a month...

How does it do that?

30. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 18:34 wtf_man

Flo wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 02:45:
Remember the last time you were offline more than 24 hours? Me neither.

My Gaming rig constantly runs with the NIC off. It pisses me off that Steam makes me login once a month... because to me, that's still not truly an "offline mode".

I don't surf the Net or do other things on my gaming rig. It's strictly for playing games... 98% singleplayer games too. I'll fire up an MMO every once in a while. Other than Patching and buying new games... it STAYS offline.

I run a totally separate computer for surfing, e-mail, content creation, etc. That way I don't to bog down my gaming rig with crap.

/shrug

29. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 14:27 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 12:02:

What you really seem to be saying (without saying it) is that you want Half-Life 3.

I want HL3. With Oculus Rift support.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

28. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 13:45 Dmitri_M

Verno wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 12:02:
What you really seem to be saying (without saying it) is that you want Half-Life 3.

Yup. I guess so. Something big..with SP.

Flak wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 11:44:
Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 11:30:
They were a top tier developer. Now they're releasing MP source mods. At least ID attempted Rage.

I'd rather Valve not make a massively mediocre game (Half-Life 3) just to please people who are 'bored'. Portal 1 has more to it than any ID game since Doom 2. I'd actually prefer if ID stopped making games and just focused on engine development. To each their own.

I'd like to see them do SOMETHING, is my point. I never got into Portal. Always felt like a one trick novelty game. Something you might now see on kickstarter for $80 000. L4D feels like a HL mod. I don't pay any attention to Dota or Counterstrike.

27. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 13:24 Kristian Joensen

Kristian Joensen wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 02:38:
Flo wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 02:33:
They should have just made a deal with Valve to integrate steam out of the box. This would have made a lot of nerds very happy. The same nerds that released the shitstorm complaining about the Xbox One DRM when it was really just a copy of the steam DRM.
It was NOT a copy of Steam's DRM. Steam does NOT require a authentication once every 24 hours.
Remember the last time you were offline more than 24 hours? Me neither. You are right, though, it was not a copy, it was better actually. Games lending and all. But that's a moot point now. I'm not saying Microsoft did a good job (they didn't) but consumers never want innovation, they want the stuff they already have (xbox 360 and ps3 with better graphics).

"Remember the last time you were offline more than 24 hours?"

Yes, yes I certainly do. But you don't actually have to lose your connection for 24 hours at a time for Microsoft's initial proposal to be a problem. You just have to lose the connection when the authentication for that day happens.

Not everyone is as lucky as you to have a stable internet connection. Personally I refuse to get any game with ANY other DRM expect Steam for that very reason. I also absolutely refuse to be limited in any way on how often I get to install/authenticate a game or what kind of hardware changes I can make to my setup. GFWL is ruled out due to my extremely bad experience from Gears of War PC. I don't trust Origin or UPlay due to the history of those companies.

Ladron3dfx wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 05:10:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 02:38:
Flo wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 02:33:
They should have just made a deal with Valve to integrate steam out of the box. This would have made a lot of nerds very happy. The same nerds that released the shitstorm complaining about the Xbox One DRM when it was really just a copy of the steam DRM.
It was NOT a copy of Steam's DRM. Steam does NOT require a authentication once every 24 hours.

I thought the Steam client authenticates when signing in, authenticates when the game is initiated and authenticates on a periodic bases while the client is running in the background while gaming.

It was a better version of the Steam DRM, more lenient, family sharing, a new method of selling used disc based games and even used digital games I believe. You certainly can't sell your unwanted digital games on Steam, it's forbidden. You can't even gift your unwanted games to anyone, even family members. Shame. What a shame.

I can and have been using Steam offline all the time. Never once had an issue. The pattern is the same I loose my internet connection either for a little while or for an extended period and Steam automatically goes in to offline mode and I continue gaming happily as if nothing happened. Some people have went weeks with Steam in offline mode, with the original Xbox One DRM you could NOT do that therefore it was NOT more lenient than Steam. The comparisons to Steam are simply lies by certain (supposed) MS people.

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2013, 13:30.

26. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 12:02 Verno

They were a top tier developer. Now they're releasing MP source mods. At least ID attempted Rage. Valve have taken over the development of mods with long shelf lives and are milking them. They're no longer pushing the boundaries of FPS development.

I'm just disappointed.

I don't really agree that they're not a top tier developer. Having play Narbacular Drop before it became Portal, what Valve brought to those games was obvious. Most of their games are addictive and well embraced by users so I don't really see the problem here.

What you really seem to be saying (without saying it) is that you want Half-Life 3. I do too but I'm happy to wait because it's not like they're leaving me wanting for other products. FPS in general is really in flux anyway due to all of the corridor shooter affairs from consoles. The type of FPS games we grew up on aren't as well received anymore.

25. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 11:44 Flak

They were a top tier developer. Now they're releasing MP source mods. At least ID attempted Rage.

I'd rather Valve not make a massively mediocre game (Half-Life 3) just to please people who are 'bored'. Portal 1 has more to it than any ID game since Doom 2. I'd actually prefer if ID stopped making games and just focused on engine development. To each their own.

24. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 11:30 Dmitri_M

Verno wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 08:34:
Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 08:06:
I think Valve hang on to the sorts of people who wished high school or college never ended. Where you sit around dreaming up ideas but never actually executing any of them to completion.

As a game company Valve are dead. I do not count IPs they simply maintain as being much of a contribution to gaming.

L4D, Portal, Counterstrike. They've been developing mods for past 10 or so years. Actual games? Where?

Those are actual games, not just mods. Valve is a weird mix of a publisher, incubator and developer but to discount their work so out of hand is wrong to me.

They were a top tier developer. Now they're releasing MP source mods. At least ID attempted Rage. Valve have taken over the development of mods with long shelf lives and are milking them. They're no longer pushing the boundaries of FPS development.

I'm just disappointed.

23. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 08:34 Verno

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 08:06:
I think Valve hang on to the sorts of people who wished high school or college never ended. Where you sit around dreaming up ideas but never actually executing any of them to completion.

As a game company Valve are dead. I do not count IPs they simply maintain as being much of a contribution to gaming.

L4D, Portal, Counterstrike. They've been developing mods for past 10 or so years. Actual games? Where?

Those are actual games, not just mods. Valve is a weird mix of a publisher, incubator and developer but to discount their work so out of hand is wrong to me.

22. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 08:28 avianflu

if his new job role is to create a "better" version of GFW, is it OK to hate him?  

21. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 08:14 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 00:46:
Stage One: Denial.
Yeah, that's what I'm going with. He might honestly think he can make a difference and turn MS around. The only question is how long before he sees the reality. Then again, if MS is paying him enough, he may not care...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 08:06 Dmitri_M

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2013, 08:13.

19. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 08:06 Burrito of Peace

Remember the last time you were offline more than 24 hours?

Sure do! Earlier this week. Last week. The week before that. Two weeks ago. Rinse and repeat.

18. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 08:05 osage no onna

I thought Valve didn't have "bosses".  

17. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 06:55 Overon

How many employees have left valve to join other companies? I thought Valve hung on to employees.  

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo