Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

IncGamers - Credit denied: The failure of videogame news sourcing. We are occasional perpetrators and frequent victims of this here.
Eurogamer did some actual journalism and (like Videogamer, who ended up with much the same quote) contacted publishers SEGA for their take on the affair. What they neglected to mention, however, is Videogamerís original report that got this story into the wider press in the first place. Eurogamerís piece links only to the 1csc.ru page, making it appear as if they just happened to be independently reading Russian-language distribution sites a day after the original story had spread, and then decided to ask SEGA about it. Possible. But unlikely.

If it seems like Iím trying to single out specific sites here, thatís not really the intent. Every gaming site in existence has been guilty of mis-crediting sources (by accident or malicious design) at some point in the past. IncGamers certainly isnít immune. Weíd made our share of mistakes.

But this stuff matters. It matters to readers, because if a site is regularly failing to provide correct credit to sources it probably isnít an outlet you should be paying too much attention to. It suggests the writers there are either overworked, sloppy or just donít care. Every time it happens, it validates the lack of trust readers place in games writing.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2013, 13:53 Creston

Every time it happens, it validates the lack of trust readers place in games writing.

Who places their fucking trust in games writing??

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2013, 13:52 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 07:21:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 23:22:
While I agree in principle to what this article is saying, it's hard to put into practice. Take Blue's, for instance. Does Blue have the time to run through a series of links for each one of dozens of stories he posts to discover the originator? If he spent the time to do that, the site would have fewer than half the stories it has, making it a less enticing destination. I don't want that.

We are occasional perpetrators and frequent victims of this here.

I'm not understanding this comment; does it mean that Blue's posts original content that others link to but don't credit Blue's for? Or does it mean that Blue's credits the wrong site, b/c the story Blue links to credited the wrong site?

Usually I track the sources of stories and offer "here via there" or "here via there via there" as the source where appropriate, but it can be hard to figure out where things originate, and I don't always pick up the right trail. The other side of it is we will be the first to post some news bit, and one of the many sites that doesn't cite its sources picks it up, Then I get to see a bunch of stories on other sites crediting the site that yoinked it from here with the find.

That clears it up. Thanks Blue

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2013, 09:47 Sepharo

Drazula wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 09:11:
Talk about self serving. Not getting credit hurts integrity? How about gaining integrity in ways that matter to gamers! Like stop giving glowing reviews to games published by advertisers. Like asking tough questions when you talk to publishers/developers instead of sounding like you have a cup in your hand: "Please sir, may I have somemore."

Game journalist behave like game publishers can crush them. Game journalists need to behave like THEY can make or break games. Even if it is not true, that should be their approach.

"Oh an article on A huh? BUT WHAT ABOUT B?!?!"

6. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2013, 09:24 avianflu

a great link/article --- thanks JD.

jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 23:26:
Heh, from Evening Interviews, this Ten Ton Hammer story gets it right:

via Deadspin
Source: Boston Globe

5. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2013, 09:11 Drazula

Talk about self serving. Not getting credit hurts integrity? How about gaining integrity in ways that matter to gamers! Like stop giving glowing reviews to games published by advertisers. Like asking tough questions when you talk to publishers/developers instead of sounding like you have a cup in your hand: "Please sir, may I have somemore."

Game journalist behave like game publishers can crush them. Game journalists need to behave like THEY can make or break games. Even if it is not true, that should be their approach.

4. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2013, 07:21  Blue 

jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 23:22:
While I agree in principle to what this article is saying, it's hard to put into practice. Take Blue's, for instance. Does Blue have the time to run through a series of links for each one of dozens of stories he posts to discover the originator? If he spent the time to do that, the site would have fewer than half the stories it has, making it a less enticing destination. I don't want that.

I'm not understanding this comment; does it mean that Blue's posts original content that others link to but don't credit Blue's for? Or does it mean that Blue's credits the wrong site, b/c the story Blue links to credited the wrong site?

Usually I track the sources of stories and offer "here via there" or "here via there via there" as the source where appropriate, but it can be hard to figure out where things originate, and I don't always pick up the right trail. The other side of it is we will be the first to post some news bit, and one of the many sites that doesn't cite its sources picks it up, Then I get to see a bunch of stories on other sites crediting the site that yoinked it from here with the find.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

3. Re: Op Ed Aug 13, 2013, 23:26 jdreyer

Heh, from Evening Interviews, this Ten Ton Hammer story gets it right:

via Deadspin
Source: Boston Globe

2. Re: Op Ed Aug 13, 2013, 23:22 jdreyer

1. Re: Op Ed Aug 13, 2013, 21:01 Cutter

It's ok, no one takes games "journalism" seriously anyway, lol!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo