Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GTA5 PC Confirmed?

Videgamer.com has word from an NVIDIA investor's call that seems to inadvertently confirm plans for a PC edition of Grand Theft Auto V. Here's their quote from NVIDIA senior director of investor relations Chris Evenden: "But much of this can be better served by a tablet. In contrast, gamers are preparing their systems for a strong roster of games coming this fall, including blockbuster franchises, such as Call of Duty: Ghosts, Grand Theft Auto 5 and Assassin's Creed 4."

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

31. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 12:31 Verno

Kristian Joensen wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 12:17:
Max Payne 3 has unspecified activation limits. Hence why I didn't get it.

Fair enough but I was referring to his comment about GFWL

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 12:30 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 11:03:
Well what's the only game they didn't port? RDR? It's never really been a question of it coming to the PC so much as when.

And RDR may be a fluke. That was one of the most troubled development cycles to actually manage to release a game. The general consensus around the industry was that the entire studio was going to collapse. Instead they released a moody, atmospheric blockbuster, but it seems that it may have all come together at the last second.
I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar was caught off-guard by RDRs success and really had plans to move away from it as quickly as possible. It may explain why we've heard zilch from that studio, too - I really think they were in limbo at release and Rockstar ended up very delicately trying to figure out how to fix their massive flaws without ruining whatever it was that made RDR great.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 12:30 Rigs

Panickd wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 12:20:
Rigs wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 10:38:

THEN, and only then, do they start to give in about the PC version. They've gotten pretty much all they can out of the console version, so now it's time to ring the PC version dry. They've done this nearly every damn time and yet each time seems like the first in the eyes of the PC gaming-centric media! You're playing right into their hands, hook, line and sinker! If you didn't act like starving tigers clawing at the gates for that juicy steak on the other side, then this wouldn't happen. Rockstar, at the end of the day, is out to make money. The way they play us like violins is Marketing 101...

There was never any doubt that GTA V was going to be released for the PC. It was expected everywhere by everyone and reported as such. It's become SOP for the major releases of the GTA series to hit the PC 6-8 months after it comes to the consoles. It's a little hard for Rockstar to sucker anyone when everyone knows the PC release is happening. The only people that get shilled are the ones that feel as though they just have to play it day one. And it's not a conspiracy, it's capitalism. Consoles sell more copies than the PC hence the consoles get top billing and priority.

And BTW, all companies are out to make money. That is the sole reason they exist (if they're publicly traded, anyway). It's not a bad thing. It's how modern day economies work.

Isn't that what I just said?! Thank you for summarizing my post, here's some cake... Cake

And for the record, I wasn't criticizing Rockstar, I was merely pointing out something I felt was obvious...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

28. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 12:27 Beelzebud

There is no reason to think that there won't be a PC version at some point. Rockstar have never skipped PC for a GTA game. The GTA series started on PC.

Why is it that some people ignore the fact that most of their games have PC versions, and only 1 high profile game of theirs doesn't?

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 12:20 Panickd

THEN, and only then, do they start to give in about the PC version. They've gotten pretty much all they can out of the console version, so now it's time to ring the PC version dry. They've done this nearly every damn time and yet each time seems like the first in the eyes of the PC gaming-centric media! You're playing right into their hands, hook, line and sinker! If you didn't act like starving tigers clawing at the gates for that juicy steak on the other side, then this wouldn't happen. Rockstar, at the end of the day, is out to make money. The way they play us like violins is Marketing 101...

There was never any doubt that GTA V was going to be released for the PC. It was expected everywhere by everyone and reported as such. It's become SOP for the major releases of the GTA series to hit the PC 6-8 months after it comes to the consoles. It's a little hard for Rockstar to sucker anyone when everyone knows the PC release is happening. The only people that get shilled are the ones that feel as though they just have to play it day one. And it's not a conspiracy, it's capitalism. Consoles sell more copies than the PC hence the consoles get top billing and priority.

And BTW, all companies are out to make money. That is the sole reason they exist (if they're publicly traded, anyway). It's not a bad thing. It's how modern day economies work.

26. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 12:19 El Pit

The last GTA game I finished was GTA3. The flying in GTA: Vice City and San Andreas with kb/m was impossible for me, so I played both games until nothing except flying missions were available. In Vice City, I think I was unable to fly those mini-helicopters in on mission, in San Andreas it was the mission about hijacking another plane mid-air.

Didn't play GTA IV much, because I somehow couldn't get into it. It played like shit with my old machine, and later I simply forgot about the game and played dozens of other games.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

25. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 12:17 Kristian Joensen

Verno wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 09:45:
nin wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 09:19:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 09:09:
I would be interested if Rockstar didn't like their draconian DRM so much.

I'd be curious if they drop GFMFWL this time. Don't think LA Noire had it?

Max Payne 3 didn't have it.
Max Payne 3 has unspecified activation limits. Hence why I didn't get it.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 11:58 HoSpanky

I'd bet that the PC version will more likely be running the assets that the next-gen system version of GTA5 will use. Can't announce it and have any screenshots, as they may look significantly better than the current-gen systems can manage.

I'd bet they're planning it for PS4 and Xbone. Don't TELL anyone that yet. Let them buy it on the current consoles. Re-sell it to them as a AAA title to play on their shiny NEW console in a few months. PC version will likely sneak out after all that. Can't have new console owners seeing that the PC version STILL looks better.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 11:46 Quinn

Creston wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 11:14:
THEN, and only then, do they start to give in about the PC version. They've gotten pretty much all they can out of the console version, so now it's time to ring the PC version dry.

And? Rockstar may have started as a PC developer, but it wasn't until they switched to the PS2 with GTA3 that they became massively succesful. They've probably sold around a hundred million copies of their games on consoles. Kinda hard to complain when a dev favors consoles when their games sell 20+ million copies, and they were never succesful on the PC to begin with.

Bethesda, otoh...

You speak as if the guy you replied to was critisizing Rockstar for it. He wasn't. He was simply stating the obvious as a reminder that a PC version will most likely be released (once the console version has been whored dry etc).

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 11:36 nin

Bethesda, otoh...

Just sold 27 copies of Skyrim as you typed that...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 11:14 Creston

THEN, and only then, do they start to give in about the PC version. They've gotten pretty much all they can out of the console version, so now it's time to ring the PC version dry.

And? Rockstar may have started as a PC developer, but it wasn't until they switched to the PS2 with GTA3 that they became massively succesful. They've probably sold around a hundred million copies of their games on consoles. Kinda hard to complain when a dev favors consoles when their games sell 20+ million copies, and they were never succesful on the PC to begin with.

Bethesda, otoh...

20. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 11:10 Creston

Well shit, if the Nvidia senior director of investor relations says something with regards to a game's release, it MUST be true!  

19. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 11:03 Cutter

Well what's the only game they didn't port? RDR? It's never really been a question of it coming to the PC so much as when.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 10:38 Rigs

I don't doubt that GTA5 will be on the PC as well as consoles and I don't doubt that that was the plan all along. I just can't believe no one else sees it and calls them on it. They know that gamers have short memories, at least when it comes to release dates - after the fact. Everyone knows the release date of some games coming out soon, like GTA5 and Saints Row4 and Assassins Creed 4. But few remember when they were released after they've done so. Who can remember when the original GTA4 came out? Max Payne3? Saints Row 2? Halo2? GTA3? Rockstar knows this. So what they do, and they did it with GTA4 also, is they pile on the PR for the console version, fast and furious (ahem), and never mention the PC version - EVER. This creates doubt in the minds of those that really want GTA. So they start to fear that if they don't get the console version, they won't be able to play it at all! In addition, Rockstar will occasionally hold back a title from being released to PC (Red Dead Redemption), to re-enforce this 'fear'. So when GTA5 is released, they make a big deal about it and get everyone to buy the console version without giving away any plans about the PC version. A few months go by, Rockstar never commits to an answer about it either way, meanwhile the console version is at the top of the charts. The Christmas season comes and they once again trumpet the console version to squeeze every last drop out of it that they can...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

17. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 10:23 Mad Max RW

Xero wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 09:47:
I don't see how they could not release a PC version. They port that shiz to PC, throw it up on Steam and watch the endless flow of cash come in.
There is no boxing required or distributing to stores which saves them a boatload of money right off the bat...

It isn't as simple as hitting a "generate PC version" button and then upload it. Creating a port requires a team to rework the game from the ground up. With shorter deadlines you end up with the same rushed buggy garbage missing basic features plaguing PC gaming in recent years.

16. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 10:19 Slick

surprized that no one has mmentioned the fact that there's a very good chance it's coming to next gen coneoles, which are PCs, therefore.... there's no real "port" required for pc other than graphics and input settings, the game is already being coded for PC if we can assume it's being coded for XO or PS4  

15. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 10:01 Zyrxil

He's his source. I also have it on good word he's also paying everyone $100 cash if he turns out to be wrong.  

14. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 09:57 nin

SirKnight wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 09:48:
The PC version is real and is coming this year (unless something changes, but that's the current plan). This is no slip up.

Source?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 09:48 SirKnight

The PC version is real and is coming this year (unless something changes, but that's the current plan). This is no slip up.  

12. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 09:48 InBlack

I no longer doubt that some form of GTA will come to the PC, at some point. I do however have some severe reservations about Rockstar marketing the multiplayer portion as seperate from the main game, as Grand Theft Auto Online. Smells fishy to me....  

I have a nifty blue line!

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo