Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GTA5 PC Confirmed?

Videgamer.com has word from an NVIDIA investor's call that seems to inadvertently confirm plans for a PC edition of Grand Theft Auto V. Here's their quote from NVIDIA senior director of investor relations Chris Evenden: "But much of this can be better served by a tablet. In contrast, gamers are preparing their systems for a strong roster of games coming this fall, including blockbuster franchises, such as Call of Duty: Ghosts, Grand Theft Auto 5 and Assassin's Creed 4."

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 16, 2013, 18:31 xXBatmanXx

(repost to cover everyone)

I got a lot of responses for the ps3 for GTA5.....I think I will just buy it on both platforms anyway. I will end up doing it, so might as well do it now while people will be interested in online right away and have fun with it. Even if I spent $400 to get the 2 games, it would still be a deal considering how much I play the games.

So.....see you all online.

PS3: The_XxBatmanXx
360: The xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 14, 2013, 06:25 InBlack

ViRGE wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 19:00:
False alarm, everyone.

Forbes

Please note, during our Thursday’s earnings call, our investor relations team provided a list of important games that gamers are looking forward to on PC this fall, and included Grand Theft Auto V on that list. This statement was made with the intent of expressing enthusiasm for the games industry in general, and was not intended to represent specific knowledge possessed by NVIDIA. NVIDIA does not have information on any possible PC version release of Grand Theft Auto or its availability. We deeply regret the error.

Hehehe.

I have a nifty blue line!

49. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2013, 03:35 Jackplug

Until the big fat lady sings, there is no point in reading.  

48. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2013, 01:49 Sepharo

Rigs wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 21:09:
Beamer wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 13:00:
Rigs wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 12:52:
Beamer wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 12:30:
Cutter wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 11:03:
Well what's the only game they didn't port? RDR? It's never really been a question of it coming to the PC so much as when.

And RDR may be a fluke. That was one of the most troubled development cycles to actually manage to release a game. The general consensus around the industry was that the entire studio was going to collapse. Instead they released a moody, atmospheric blockbuster, but it seems that it may have all come together at the last second.
I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar was caught off-guard by RDRs success and really had plans to move away from it as quickly as possible. It may explain why we've heard zilch from that studio, too - I really think they were in limbo at release and Rockstar ended up very delicately trying to figure out how to fix their massive flaws without ruining whatever it was that made RDR great.

So they wait years to figure out if RDR is a hit and then consider it for release on PC? I find that scenario hard to believe. As has been pointed out by me, and others, Rockstar is out to make money. It makes no sense not to release RDR unless there's a financial reason. And in my opinion, that reason is to feed the 'fear' that Rockstar might not release every game to the PC, thus building their sales on console releases. This way they get the most from the consoles, then get the most from PC buyers and some double-dippers. What could be better than that? (Financially, anyway) RDR may come out later down the line, but I doubt it. There's really nothing about RDR that would make it uniquely difficult to bring to PC. It's certainly not any different from say, LA Noire, which I would think would be much harder to port, given it's various technologies. RDR is basically GTA in the wild west. The only logical reason for them not to release it would be financial not technical.

=-Rigs-=

There was a financial reason - they didn't expect the game to do well and, more importantly, didn't think they could take a single person off of the development of the console version to put them on any form of PC port. PC ports aren't free - they cost money. And they require someone to perform them. Even if they're done by a different studio, you still have to have some of your engineers working on the engine and providing support to the external team. And everyone else on the team needs to be available to answer questions. And a producer from the original is probably overseeing the port.
Go reread all the "Rockstar Spouse" reports and tell me if they sound as if they could have spared this. And, when Rockstar seemed to think this would be a failure, hell, basically the entire industry expected this to be the next Trespasser or Daikatana, why would you spend a dime to port it?

Your "fear" argument makes little sense.

Holy shit, Beamer, did you even READ what I said? All of it?!

The only logical reason for them not to release it would be financial not technical.

There was a financial reason

Speechless

Either I'm stupid or you just re-enforced what I just said...

=-Rigs-=

Nobody mentioned that RDR was extremely buggy for a console game and that Rockstar wasn't willing to re-release the multiple known issues with RDR on PC. A combination of that, the porting effot/cost, and low sales expectation is the reason we didn't (and likely still won't) get PC RDR.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 21:09 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 13:00:
Well what's the only game they didn't port? RDR? It's never really been a question of it coming to the PC so much as when.

And RDR may be a fluke. That was one of the most troubled development cycles to actually manage to release a game. The general consensus around the industry was that the entire studio was going to collapse. Instead they released a moody, atmospheric blockbuster, but it seems that it may have all come together at the last second.
I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar was caught off-guard by RDRs success and really had plans to move away from it as quickly as possible. It may explain why we've heard zilch from that studio, too - I really think they were in limbo at release and Rockstar ended up very delicately trying to figure out how to fix their massive flaws without ruining whatever it was that made RDR great.

So they wait years to figure out if RDR is a hit and then consider it for release on PC? I find that scenario hard to believe. As has been pointed out by me, and others, Rockstar is out to make money. It makes no sense not to release RDR unless there's a financial reason. And in my opinion, that reason is to feed the 'fear' that Rockstar might not release every game to the PC, thus building their sales on console releases. This way they get the most from the consoles, then get the most from PC buyers and some double-dippers. What could be better than that? (Financially, anyway) RDR may come out later down the line, but I doubt it. There's really nothing about RDR that would make it uniquely difficult to bring to PC. It's certainly not any different from say, LA Noire, which I would think would be much harder to port, given it's various technologies. RDR is basically GTA in the wild west. The only logical reason for them not to release it would be financial not technical.

=-Rigs-=

There was a financial reason - they didn't expect the game to do well and, more importantly, didn't think they could take a single person off of the development of the console version to put them on any form of PC port. PC ports aren't free - they cost money. And they require someone to perform them. Even if they're done by a different studio, you still have to have some of your engineers working on the engine and providing support to the external team. And everyone else on the team needs to be available to answer questions. And a producer from the original is probably overseeing the port.
Go reread all the "Rockstar Spouse" reports and tell me if they sound as if they could have spared this. And, when Rockstar seemed to think this would be a failure, hell, basically the entire industry expected this to be the next Trespasser or Daikatana, why would you spend a dime to port it?

Holy shit, Beamer, did you even READ what I said? All of it?!

The only logical reason for them not to release it would be financial not technical.

There was a financial reason

Speechless

Either I'm stupid or you just re-enforced what I just said...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2013, 21:31.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

46. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 19:52 Dmitri_M

False alarm, everyone.

Forbes

Please note, during our Thursday’s earnings call, our investor relations team provided a list of important games that gamers are looking forward to on PC this fall, and included Grand Theft Auto V on that list. This statement was made with the intent of expressing enthusiasm for the games industry in general, and was not intended to represent specific knowledge possessed by NVIDIA. NVIDIA does not have information on any possible PC version release of Grand Theft Auto or its availability. We deeply regret the error.

Not surprised at all.

45. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 19:05 nin

False alarm, everyone.

Forbes

Somebody got told to STFU.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

44. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 19:00 ViRGE

False alarm, everyone.

Forbes

43. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 18:35 Quinn

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 16:18:
This is clearly an error on Nvidia's part. There has been no evidence that a GTAV PC port will be released alongside the console version.

No doubt there will be a PC version later down the road though.

However, it would make sense if NVIDIA knows more regarding a PC release. After all, the devs prolly need the support of the gpu manufacturers in order not to bring the same performance-cesspit to the market that was GTA4.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

42. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 17:59 Cyant

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 10:23:

It isn't as simple as hitting a "generate PC version" button and then upload it. Creating a port requires a team to rework the game from the ground up. With shorter deadlines you end up with the same rushed buggy garbage missing basic features plaguing PC gaming in recent years.
With the new consoles running x86 proc its close to that. Of course its not quite that but it's very close. Of course there is still some codding to do but not as much as you would think. In a few years I have no doubts there will be such a button in the programers tools. Remember, most of E3 demos were not running on consoles but on hidden PC's...

41. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 16:56 Creston

Linksil wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 15:00:
Also you have to remember this is the age of "exclusives". So even if they have the PC version fully working on console launch day there's prob a 6 month embargo on releasing it because the console makers threw money at them. See Halo, or COD(MP Packs)... I can understand this for multiplayer games, but not single. Oh well that's why we have twitch.

Neither console maker is going to pay someone money to make it "console exclusive." If they pay, they do so to make it either 360 or PS3 exclusive.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 16:18 Rattlehead

This is clearly an error on Nvidia's part. There has been no evidence that a GTAV PC port will be released alongside the console version.

No doubt there will be a PC version later down the road though.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 15:00 Linksil

Also you have to remember this is the age of "exclusives". So even if they have the PC version fully working on console launch day there's prob a 6 month embargo on releasing it because the console makers threw money at them. See Halo, or COD(MP Packs)... I can understand this for multiplayer games, but not single. Oh well that's why we have twitch.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

38. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 14:57 DangerDog

If NVIDIA does an in game bundle of GTAV with their video cards I might consider sticking with them but right now I'm leaning towards getting an ATI card next.  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 14:49 jacobvandy

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 14:10:
But at the same time, GTA took a step into the realm of 3D as well with GTA3.

It wouldn't have been the smash hit it was if it weren't for Sony's support, which is how this grand tradition of console exclusivity began. Sad truth is, Rockstar probably could have released the same exact game only on PC and they would have been lucky to clear 2 million sold. Rockstar as we know it would not exist.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 14:45 Alamar

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 14:10:
Creston wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 11:14:
Rigs wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 10:38:
THEN, and only then, do they start to give in about the PC version. They've gotten pretty much all they can out of the console version, so now it's time to ring the PC version dry.

And? Rockstar may have started as a PC developer, but it wasn't until they switched to the PS2 with GTA3 that they became massively succesful. They've probably sold around a hundred million copies of their games on consoles. Kinda hard to complain when a dev favors consoles when their games sell 20+ million copies, and they were never succesful on the PC to begin with.

Bethesda, otoh...

From what I recall of GTA 1/2, it wasn't nearly as story centric as 3+, but I've never been a big fan of the series, so don't quote me on that, unless you're a news person, in which case, facts don't matter anyways, so go ahead : )

My point being... story sells ; )

-Alamar

35. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 14:10 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 11:14:
Rigs wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 10:38:
THEN, and only then, do they start to give in about the PC version. They've gotten pretty much all they can out of the console version, so now it's time to ring the PC version dry.

And? Rockstar may have started as a PC developer, but it wasn't until they switched to the PS2 with GTA3 that they became massively succesful. They've probably sold around a hundred million copies of their games on consoles. Kinda hard to complain when a dev favors consoles when their games sell 20+ million copies, and they were never succesful on the PC to begin with.

Bethesda, otoh...

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

34. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 13:00 Beamer

So they wait years to figure out if RDR is a hit and then consider it for release on PC? I find that scenario hard to believe. As has been pointed out by me, and others, Rockstar is out to make money. It makes no sense not to release RDR unless there's a financial reason. And in my opinion, that reason is to feed the 'fear' that Rockstar might not release every game to the PC, thus building their sales on console releases. This way they get the most from the consoles, then get the most from PC buyers and some double-dippers. What could be better than that? (Financially, anyway) RDR may come out later down the line, but I doubt it. There's really nothing about RDR that would make it uniquely difficult to bring to PC. It's certainly not any different from say, LA Noire, which I would think would be much harder to port, given it's various technologies. RDR is basically GTA in the wild west. The only logical reason for them not to release it would financial not technical.

=-Rigs-=

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 12:52 Rigs

So they wait years to figure out if RDR is a hit and then consider it for release on PC? I find that scenario hard to believe. As has been pointed out by me, and others, Rockstar is out to make money. It makes no sense not to release RDR unless there's a financial reason. And in my opinion, that reason is to feed the 'fear' that Rockstar might not release every game to the PC, thus building their sales on console releases. This way they get the most from the consoles, then get the most from PC buyers and some double-dippers. What could be better than that? (Financially, anyway) RDR may come out later down the line, but I doubt it. There's really nothing about RDR that would make it uniquely difficult to bring to PC. It's certainly not any different from say, LA Noire, which I would think would be much harder to port, given it's various technologies. RDR is basically GTA in the wild west. The only logical reason for them not to release it would financial not technical.

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

32. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 12:44 Creston

nin wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 11:36:
Bethesda, otoh...

Just sold 27 copies of Skyrim as you typed that...

FULL PRICE.

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo