Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014

ComputerAndVideoGames.com has word from Microsoft that their new $100 million Xbox One controller will eventually be PC compatible at some point next year, though they say the software to allow this won't be available when the consoles are first released. "There is also some work that we need to do to make sure that existing PC games that support the Xbox 360 controller, will work with the Xbox One controller. While it seems trivial, it's actually quite a bit of dedicated work for all that to be seamless for the user," they were told. "We know people want to use the Xbox One controller on their PC, and we do too - we expect to have the functionality available in 2014."

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

13. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 00:30 Dev

Redmask wrote on Aug 12, 2013, 22:43:
The really dumb thing about this is at E3 they had Xbone demos running on PCs with Xbone controllers hooked up.
Probably because they are lying about it. If they wanted to they could easily have it ready for windows.
The real reason is probably something along the lines of they don't want to give anyone a reason to use it on the PC until they get a few months of console sales out, some irrational fear that it will affect sales.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 12, 2013, 23:28 Wetworks

I hope Sony supports the PS4 controller for PC. The touch screen on the controller looks like a useful addition over the Xbox version.  

11. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 12, 2013, 22:56 Mad Max RW

I don't get it. The new controller looks almost exactly like my 360 controller for Windows I bought for $10. So what's so special about this?  

10. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 12, 2013, 22:43 Redmask

The really dumb thing about this is at E3 they had Xbone demos running on PCs with Xbone controllers hooked up.  

9. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 12, 2013, 22:22 jdreyer

"I ask Alam whether, during the design of the Xbox One controller, there was any temptation to try something completely new. The DualShock 4 includes a front-facing touch-pad and light strip, while the Wii U has built a controller around a tablet.

"Yes there was a temptation," Alam explains, "and during the process there were a number of prototypes with displays on them, with speakers on them."

"The first thing about a display on a controller is that it needs to be super hi-res, which chews the battery life much more aggressively, which will irritate gamers. The second thing is that your HDTV will be the better display, and your eyes having to move between screens to get all the information is not a compelling gameplay scenario. It makes for worse gameplay."

Well, at least MS isn't COMPLETELY devoid of common sense. It would be stressful on your eyes to constantly be focusing from six feet to sixteen inches back to six feet all the time. I guess the proof will be in the pudding, but if they end up with a kick ass controller, I'll get one for PC when my 360 controller (which I really like) dies. At least new we know why they are so expensive.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 12, 2013, 22:22 Redmask

nin wrote on Aug 12, 2013, 20:50:
Bets for Win8 only?

They have to first engineer a stupid way to make it proprietary, hence the delay

7. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 12, 2013, 22:02 Tom

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Aug 12, 2013, 21:47:
I hope the PS4 controller follows suit this generation. I finally got used to DS tools but its not an ideal solution. Also, I always have to guess which button I should be pressing.

Forget that crap man, this is the way to go.

6. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 12, 2013, 21:59 Tom

Controller design costs big money and it's money well spent. Don't think so? Try using the Ouya controller.

I'd take a DualShock over an Xbox controller any day though. Something about the symmetry of the DualShock layout just feels so much more right to me.

5. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 12, 2013, 21:47 Cyanotetyphas

I hope the PS4 controller follows suit this generation. I finally got used to DS tools but its not an ideal solution. Also, I always have to guess which button I should be pressing.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

4. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 12, 2013, 21:30 theyarecomingforyou

I just hope they release the wireless X1 controller promptly, as one of my wireless X360 controllers has a failed D-pad and I'd like to upgrade as soon as is practical. As for this announcement, it's a lot of bullshit but at least it is confirmed that the X1 controller will be available for PC.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

3. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 12, 2013, 21:11 Cutter

100 mil for a controller? You're doing it wrong. Seeing as that's MS' MO however it's no real surprise, is it?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 12, 2013, 20:58 Umbragen

That was my first thought as well.  

1. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 12, 2013, 20:50 nin

Bets for Win8 only?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer