Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014

ComputerAndVideoGames.com has word from Microsoft that their new $100 million Xbox One controller will eventually be PC compatible at some point next year, though they say the software to allow this won't be available when the consoles are first released. "There is also some work that we need to do to make sure that existing PC games that support the Xbox 360 controller, will work with the Xbox One controller. While it seems trivial, it's actually quite a bit of dedicated work for all that to be seamless for the user," they were told. "We know people want to use the Xbox One controller on their PC, and we do too - we expect to have the functionality available in 2014."

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 14, 2013, 21:04 nin

MattyC wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 20:43:
MyRealName wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 08:48:
Mouse, keyboard. Nothing else needed or better.

Flight and driving games (parts of games) with a keyboard and a mouse? I will pass on that.

And flight sims...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 14, 2013, 20:43 MattyC

MyRealName wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 08:48:

Flight and driving games (parts of games) with a keyboard and a mouse? I will pass on that.

31. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 14, 2013, 08:48 MyRealName

30. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 20:32 ViRGE

2014 is a bit of a bummer, but I can wait.

With the exception of the notorious D-pad, the 360 controller has been the best gamepad I've used with a PC since a Gravis Gamepad. And by MS making the 360 controller the de-facto gamepad for Windows, it has removed most of the annoying setup/configuration problems that used to exist with PC games, not to mention it means we get proper button icons (like on consoles) rather than generic icons. Though admittedly this comes at the cost of freedom, since so many games offer poor/non-existent support for non-360 controllers.

Still, a first-party controller that's essentially a 360 gamepad with a fixed D-pad is going to be a nice step up as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, and for anyone pondering software. XInput would need to be updated to support this new controller. Which is not hard in and of itself, but unlike the Xbox, forwards and backwards compatibility would be expected here. So MS would need to make sure it doesn't break old games, and that new games ported off of the XB1 can accept a 360 controller as well as an XB1 controller. As far as the changes required to XInput itself, most of those would revolve around adding support for the new rumble functions, along with WiFi-Direct.

29. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 19:52 Dev

Redmask wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 07:07:
I guess we shouldn't be surprised though, this is a company that somehow ignored a billion dollar digital distribution market growing in their own backyard.
And continues to ignore it even today, despite their near continual promises to the contrary about "rededicating themselves to the PC"

28. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 16:32 MattyC

Creston wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 11:20:
We know people want to use the Xbox One controller on their PC,

Who are the three people who want this? Name them.

Kidding aside, it makes sense that it takes some work on the backend to make sure it works. Also: They will only release this update for Windows 8. Just watch.

I used a (wired) 360 controller for several games on my PC. There are games besides FPS and RTS.

27. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 13:58 jdreyer

KS wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 13:48:

Good question. More power to people who like playing games with these things, but that's what's wrecking the PC game market the past 4 years or so -- everything is designed for consoles, which means these clumsy controllers, few powers, and a much more shallow gameplay.

Played Max Payne on both console and PC and console was excruciating. It was worse than a throwback to the days before I learned to use a mouse with FPS games.

There are certain kinds of games that play much better with a controller than other kinds of control schemes: fighting games, arcade racers, arcade flyers, platformers, etc. I get a much better experience using a controller for those than mouse and keyboard, for example.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

26. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 13:48 KS

Good question. More power to people who like playing games with these things, but that's what's wrecking the PC game market the past 4 years or so -- everything is designed for consoles, which means these clumsy controllers, few powers, and a much more shallow gameplay.

Played Max Payne on both console and PC and console was excruciating. It was worse than a throwback to the days before I learned to use a mouse with FPS games.

25. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 13:19 Redmask

How the hell are you surprised, or not understanding, or even mad about, those priorities? The PC controller drivers can wait, the PC controller drivers won't bring in any real revenue, and the PC controller drivers almost definitely aren't as complete as people think they are

I'm not any of those things, you're just trying to paint a backdrop for a big pointless rant. Nothing about Microsoft missing opportunities on the PC and making excuses surprises me. You seem to like reading your own text so I'll leave you to marvel at it.

24. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 11:20 Creston

Kidding aside, it makes sense that it takes some work on the backend to make sure it works. Also: They will only release this update for Windows 8. Just watch.

23. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 09:59 Beamer

Redmask wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 07:07:
to launch in 2014 when they're already working on dev kits now is showing us where their priorities are.

"Working on dev kits" doesn't mean working. Remember, those dev kits are a controlled environment.

And while I agree that making better drivers probably isn't the largest project in the world, of course their priorities aren't on it. They have a major release of a billions-of-dollars project coming up in three months and they're still hardly even sure what we're going to get because things are changing every time they open their mouths.
Have you ever been on a team that delivers projects?

Why in the world would anyone be prioritizing the Xbox One for PC Controller, which will probably sell a million bucks, tops, when the Xbox One is due to be released in three months and is a much more important release and needs to not only be out on time but be essentially flawless? Anyone at Microsoft that has the knowledge and ability to write device drivers for controllers is in absolute crunch mode on the Xbox One.
How the hell are you surprised, or not understanding, or even mad about, those priorities? The PC controller drivers can wait, the PC controller drivers won't bring in any real revenue, and the PC controller drivers almost definitely aren't as complete as people think they are.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 08:48 Verno

I don't know, I get where people are coming from. If Logitech can implement Xbox 360 controller compatibility in 2 months time then I think Microsoft should be able to do it in less than a year. Microsoft makes the libraries FFS. It isn't a big deal, I don't really want an XB1 controller anyway, its just one of those things you shake your head at.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

21. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 08:31 Theo

Its more the whole "they clearly work on a PC cause the boxes at e3 were pc's" argument that gets me. Talk about a lack of understanding.

Just because hardware is X86 doesn't mean anything with regards to the OS that is running on the devices and require driver support. I mean christ, the Ps4 is running orbis, thats based on freebsd; good luck making a xbox controler work on that without massive amounts of screwing around.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

20. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 07:07 Redmask

Beamer wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 01:34:
Not sure how involved making the drivers would be, but the E3 argument is ludicrous. E3 demos are held together with duct tape and wires. Some hardware working in that one, tightly controlled environment is in no way indicative of that hardware functioning out in the wild.

Input drivers are not some magical kingdom that were put together solely for E3, they might need QA work for official installation but to launch in 2014 when they're already working on dev kits now is showing us where their priorities are. Backwards compatibility is a good excuse but XInput is a known quantity and this shouldn't be difficult or time consuming. I guess we shouldn't be surprised though, this is a company that somehow ignored a billion dollar digital distribution market growing in their own backyard.

And why exactly would I want one? Ive got a Logitech Dualshock controller that Ive bough a few years ago, used it a couple of times with some racing simulations and fighting games and thats about it. Its gathering dust somewhere.

I'm more interested in using a PS4 controller myself.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2013, 07:41.

19. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 03:18 InBlack

And why exactly would I want one? Ive got a Logitech Dualshock controller that Ive bough a few years ago, used it a couple of times with some racing simulations and fighting games and thats about it. Its gathering dust somewhere.  

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 02:15 RaZ0r!

I finally broke down and bought a Xbox 360 Controller for Windows just a week ago, so I'm good.  

17. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 01:40 Asmo

I've already got a logitech gamepad which emulates xbox controls but it's closer in form factor to the dual shock thanks MS...  

16. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 01:34 Beamer

Fantaz wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 00:45:
Cyanotetyphas wrote on Aug 12, 2013, 21:47:
I hope the PS4 controller follows suit this generation. I finally got used to DS tools but its not an ideal solution. Also, I always have to guess which button I should be pressing.

PS4's use dev kits which run off computers so they already have PS4 controllers running on PCs just fine, tho they would probably need to do the same thing to the drivers and software that Microsoft is doing now to get it to work with PC games.

Yup.
For all the outrage of "E3 WAS ON PCs!" it's like people don't understand the difference between running something specifically designed for the controller and running something designed long before the controller existed.

Not sure how involved making the drivers would be, but the E3 argument is ludicrous. E3 demos are held together with duct tape and wires. Some hardware working in that one, tightly controlled environment is in no way indicative of that hardware functioning out in the wild.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 00:50 DangerDog

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 12, 2013, 21:30:
I just hope they release the wireless X1 controller promptly, as one of my wireless X360 controllers has a failed D-pad and I'd like to upgrade as soon as is practical. As for this announcement, it's a lot of bullshit but at least it is confirmed that the X1 controller will be available for PC.

I would rather have a corded controller, in some games where you switch off between mouse and keyboard and controller the wireless controller goes into sleep mode and the game won't reactivate while you're playing in most cases.

14. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 00:45 Fantaz

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Aug 12, 2013, 21:47:
I hope the PS4 controller follows suit this generation. I finally got used to DS tools but its not an ideal solution. Also, I always have to guess which button I should be pressing.

PS4's use dev kits which run off computers so they already have PS4 controllers running on PCs just fine, tho they would probably need to do the same thing to the drivers and software that Microsoft is doing now to get it to work with PC games.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo