Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wasteland Re-release Plans

A Kickstarter update for Wasteland 2 has word from inXile entertainment that, separate from their fundraising for a sequel, they are planning on re-releasing the original Wasteland on Steam and GOG.com, while also providing a free copy for their backers (thanks nin). Word is this will be updated to work on current computers before the release:

As you may know, we had a deal in place with EA to give all our Wasteland 2 backers (including late backers) a copy of Wasteland 1, which was to be integrated and launched from the game’s menu like the original Bard’s Tale trilogy into the new Bard’s Tale. We very happy about that, as we’ve always wanted to enable people to get back to the original, and it serves as a good refresher for the sequel.

We recently went to talk with EA to try and get it out in a different, separate format, and they accommodated our idea. We’ve now inked a new deal where we’ll be able to release Wasteland 1 separately. After getting the game in our hands and ensuring it runs on modern machines, we plan to distribute it FOR FREE to all our backers before Wasteland 2’s release, as well as sell it on GOG.com and Steam for anyone else interested in trying out this classic RPG.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

16. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 18:30 eRe4s3r

saluk wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 14:15:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 13:49:
But I guess it's their idea of good PR. Even watching gameplay of Wasteland 1 is painful nowadays. (Probably even more than playing, because a let's play watcher doesn't have a manual either)

But a good let's play can take care of that for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvYcu5qaO-s

Thanks for that link. That is indeed by far the first proper Let's Play of this game I see.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 18:28 eRe4s3r

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 15:23:

Couldn't help but giggle about that. I think after anyone actually played Wasteland 1 they'd be more likely to want their money back even if they got it for free... not sure that is what you want to promote your game (which has about as much to do with Wasteland 1 as Bard's Tale trilogy had to do with Bard's Tale) to people who'd maybe want to actually buy it.

The original came out 25 years ago. Were you even alive back then? If a person plays Wasteland for the first time not realizing how archaic games were while still in their infancy they deserve to feel ripped off for being so ignorant. It's about preserving history and educating dumbfucks such as yourself.

A game where you need a physical manual to get ANYWHERE is not a good game, 25 years ago or now. Good games are intuitive and explain what's needed. And yeah, I was alive back then, although I played PC games only starting 92 .. if you know what east Germany is, you know why. ^^

14. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 18:07 Dev

It hasn't exactly been abandoned now has it?  

13. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 17:10 Dagnamit

It's time for my annual Wasteland speedrun! 2 hours and 22 minutes last time. content skipping galore!!

/go get the lady with the uzi in needles.
//savage village, NATOS
///Vegas, lazerzzz, pew pew pew
////Cochise, win

12. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 15:37 Cutter

Wasteland on Abandonia  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 15:23 Mad Max RW

Couldn't help but giggle about that. I think after anyone actually played Wasteland 1 they'd be more likely to want their money back even if they got it for free... not sure that is what you want to promote your game (which has about as much to do with Wasteland 1 as Bard's Tale trilogy had to do with Bard's Tale) to people who'd maybe want to actually buy it.

The original came out 25 years ago. Were you even alive back then? If a person plays Wasteland for the first time not realizing how archaic games were while still in their infancy they deserve to feel ripped off for being so ignorant. It's about preserving history and educating dumbfucks such as yourself.

10. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 15:05 nin

Creston wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 14:28:
AweeeeEEEESSOOMMEEE.

I'd downloaded the original from an abandonware site somewhere, but had a bitch of a time getting it to run.

Yep - pretty damn cool. Never played the original, so I'll be happy to check it out, even if I don't get anywhere with it...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 14:28 Creston

AweeeeEEEESSOOMMEEE.

I'd downloaded the original from an abandonware site somewhere, but had a bitch of a time getting it to run.

8. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 14:15 saluk

But I guess it's their idea of good PR. Even watching gameplay of Wasteland 1 is painful nowadays. (Probably even more than playing, because a let's play watcher doesn't have a manual either)

But a good let's play can take care of that for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvYcu5qaO-s

7. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 13:49 eRe4s3r

...give all our Wasteland 2 backers... a copy of Wasteland 1 .... to enable people to get back to the original... it serves as a good refresher for the sequel.

6. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 13:41 HorrorScope

wonkawonka wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 13:30:
Playing Wasteland today is a huge exercise in frustration.

Perhaps part of their strategy. So when someone plays Wasteland 2 and thinks something negatively about it and thinking Wasteland 1 was perfect, because that is how sentimentals work. They can now relive the warts of Wasteland 1 to appreciate the improvements of 2. Sounds like a good plan anyway.

5. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 13:39 Orogogus

They could package it with DOSBOX (Steam's SOP with old DOS games) with mouse disabled and ignore the sound. It will run and you can beat the game. The save system thinks you've got floppies, but it uses the hard drive fine; a modern save system would be aces. It's just a pretty janky experience is all.

The manual thing is what they really ought to fix, if they can. It's probably the most unpleasant part of replaying the game.

4. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 13:31 jacobvandy

wonkawonka wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 13:30:
Playing Wasteland today is a huge exercise in frustration. You can easily find yourself stuck somewhere with no way to win or get out of a bad situation, and have to restart from scratch.

So... It wasn't like that before?

Orogogus wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 13:31:
It could stand to be cleaned up, or more probably rewritten from scratch. In the original DOS release that came with my Interplay collection, using the mouse sends you flying across the map unless you apply a lot of moslo, sound (including the Geiger counter) comes out through the internal speaker, the save system thinks you've got floppy drives, you have to manually recopy files to start a new game after the first playthrough, and you have to look up most of the text descriptions in the game manual.

I would presume changing much of that stuff (except maybe the last one, beyond providing a .pdf) falls under "ensuring it runs on modern machines."

3. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 13:31 Orogogus

It could stand to be cleaned up, or more probably rewritten from scratch. In the original DOS release that came with my Interplay collection, using the mouse sends you flying across the map unless you apply a lot of moslo, sound (including the Geiger counter) comes out through the internal speaker, the save system thinks you've got floppy drives, you have to manually recopy files to start a new game after the first playthrough, and you have to look up most of the text descriptions in the game manual.  

2. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 13:30 wonkawonka

Playing Wasteland today is a huge exercise in frustration. You can easily find yourself stuck somewhere with no way to win or get out of a bad situation, and have to restart from scratch.  

1. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 13:20 Panickd

The original Wasteland has already been released for "free" many times. It was on numerous CDs and DVDs that came with various gaming mags and I believe EA even gave it away as a free download (along with a few other games) at one point. Granted this was before GOG and Steam proved you could still milk a few bucks from even ancient games.  

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo