Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wasteland Re-release Plans

A Kickstarter update for Wasteland 2 has word from inXile entertainment that, separate from their fundraising for a sequel, they are planning on re-releasing the original Wasteland on Steam and GOG.com, while also providing a free copy for their backers (thanks nin). Word is this will be updated to work on current computers before the release:

As you may know, we had a deal in place with EA to give all our Wasteland 2 backers (including late backers) a copy of Wasteland 1, which was to be integrated and launched from the game’s menu like the original Bard’s Tale trilogy into the new Bard’s Tale. We very happy about that, as we’ve always wanted to enable people to get back to the original, and it serves as a good refresher for the sequel.

We recently went to talk with EA to try and get it out in a different, separate format, and they accommodated our idea. We’ve now inked a new deal where we’ll be able to release Wasteland 1 separately. After getting the game in our hands and ensuring it runs on modern machines, we plan to distribute it FOR FREE to all our backers before Wasteland 2’s release, as well as sell it on GOG.com and Steam for anyone else interested in trying out this classic RPG.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 11, 2013, 20:48 CJ_Parker

Redmask wrote on Aug 11, 2013, 11:48:
Pacific Strike was really underrated but I tried replaying it recently and there are some games you just can't go back to anymore.

Yep. Same goes for Strike Commander. I grabbed Strike as soon as it popped up on GOG even though I still have my boxed copy (I actually bought the Privateer/Strike Commander bundle that EA was selling some time after both games were released).
I didn't even make it to the first waypoint. It was impossible to identify anything in that pixel soup. Seriously. I tried hard but no way. It was unplayable. At least on my 2560x1440 screen. Maybe if someone owns a fairly old 15" or 17" LCD with max 1280x1024 or 1024x768 resolution it might be a different story but on big screens it is literally mission impossible.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 11, 2013, 19:14 Umbragen

Some games need to played in their own time... and remembered through the romanticizing distortion field that makes them seem a hell of a lot better than they really were.

34. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 11, 2013, 17:12 JediPunisher

I loved Strike Commander... and the new PC I had to build to run the thing. I also enjoyed Pacific Strike... but not as much as Wings of Glory.  

33. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 11, 2013, 12:47 Creston

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 11, 2013, 07:23:
Ah, finally someone else with at least an equal love for Pacific Strike! A lot of people seem to always mention Strike Commander but Pacific Strike rarely gets any love though it was easily just as awesome.
I l-o-v-e-d doing torpedo bombing runs. Dive bombing was fun, too, but it didn't hold a candle to dropping torpedoes.
Unfortunately, I don't really seem to remember Pacific Strike's wingmen. I do remember the Strike Commander chick though and the old guy (squadron leader) that was shot down a few missions into the game when you had to take over as commander. And I remember Tex. He was funny, too, when he ejected he always went "Cya all later folks, I'm punching out." ... and he ejected a lot because he wasn't really all that good either .

The torpedo runs were awesome, (and IIRC, having a torpedo made your plane slow as shit, so dogfighting was a lot harder) as were the graphics for its day and age. It's just a shame that dogfighting in Pacific Strike was literally nothing more than "turn until you see an enemy, shoot him down." I recall the final mission, where you go up against two dozen(?) Zeros, and all I did was just turn and turn and turn and turn and turn and occasionally take a few shots if something passed in front of me. Worked too.

The wingmen were pretty cool, but the ginger is the only guy I remember.

I'd forgotten about Tex, but I do remember that "See ya guys, I'm punching out!" line. Heh. He did say that a lot. In fact, most wingmen were pretty shitty in both games.

Ah, Origin. How sad it is we have no devs like you anymore.

32. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 11, 2013, 11:48 Redmask

Pacific Strike was really underrated but I tried replaying it recently and there are some games you just can't go back to anymore.  

31. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 11, 2013, 07:23 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Aug 11, 2013, 01:47:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 23:59:
The 1 game I loved, and still own the manual for, was Strike Commander. Now *that* was a manual worth keeping. Although the copy prompts were infuriating. My English in my early school/gaming days was no good so I was often just guessing what they meant.

Strike Commander was awesome. Good flight sim, great story (being betrayed by the chick really stunned me), cool wingmen.

Pacific Strike was even cooler. Your ginger wingman buddy from the start (forgot his name) was the best with his one liners. "Hot DAWG I'm going to shoot me a Jap Zero!"

And then he'd always get gunned down because he sucked as a pilot. But at least he was funny.

Ah, finally someone else with at least an equal love for Pacific Strike! A lot of people seem to always mention Strike Commander but Pacific Strike rarely gets any love though it was easily just as awesome.
I l-o-v-e-d doing torpedo bombing runs. Dive bombing was fun, too, but it didn't hold a candle to dropping torpedoes.
Unfortunately, I don't really seem to remember Pacific Strike's wingmen. I do remember the Strike Commander chick though and the old guy (squadron leader) that was shot down a few missions into the game when you had to take over as commander. And I remember Tex. He was funny, too, when he ejected he always went "Cya all later folks, I'm punching out." ... and he ejected a lot because he wasn't really all that good either .

30. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 11, 2013, 01:47 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 23:59:
The 1 game I loved, and still own the manual for, was Strike Commander. Now *that* was a manual worth keeping. Although the copy prompts were infuriating. My English in my early school/gaming days was no good so I was often just guessing what they meant.

Strike Commander was awesome. Good flight sim, great story (being betrayed by the chick really stunned me), cool wingmen.

Pacific Strike was even cooler. Your ginger wingman buddy from the start (forgot his name) was the best with his one liners. "Hot DAWG I'm going to shoot me a Jap Zero!"

And then he'd always get gunned down because he sucked as a pilot. But at least he was funny.

29. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 11, 2013, 00:42 jimnms

I had/have no problems running Wasteland in DOSBox. The first time I played it, not long after starting the game I went into a cave and my entire team got killed by rats, mother fucking rats. My elite team of Desert Rangers couldn't hit a damn thing. They used up all of their ammo missing nearly every shot with their pistols before I had to switch to knives and crowbars.

I just realized I had it installed. I loaded it up, and I've been playing it for about an hour. Apparently I had already created a team the last time I played it, but never started the game. I think this team is doing a bit better.

Steam Profile

28. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 23:59 eRe4s3r

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 21:18:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 18:28:
A game where you need a physical manual to get ANYWHERE is not a good game, 25 years ago or now. Good games are intuitive and explain what's needed. And yeah, I was alive back then, although I played PC games only starting 92 .. if you know what east Germany is, you know why. ^^

HAHA so you are an Ossi huh?

Not in mind but sure as hell in birth

But yeah, I admit this is why I have a very peculiar view on some of the older (pre 90) dos games. As I never played them before I was much much older.... so my first contact with them was mostly very negative impressions.

27. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 23:22 JediPunisher

Why all the hate for old DOS games? Some of the best games I ever played were DOS games... and half the fun was getting them to run in the first place.

I never played Wasteland, but I did play EA's Wasteland clone/unofficial sequel, Fountain of Wet Dreams which I picked up for a dollar about 15 years ago. It was similar to Bards Tale, but with Killer Clowns, and I enjoyed it enough that I played it to completion. I hear Wasteland was better with more depth, so I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

26. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 23:02 Mad Max RW

Fleche wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 22:30:
Everyone keeps saying DOS DOS DOS. Wasteland and Bards Tale were huge Apple // games. My Franklin Ace 1000 (with 4 awesome floppy drives!) played many hours of those and more.

Wasteland was released for Commodore 64, Apple, and DOS. The C64 version had better sound effects while the PC DOS version had more advanced graphics. I was raised on DOS.

25. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 22:30 Fleche

Everyone keeps saying DOS DOS DOS. Wasteland and Bards Tale were huge Apple // games. My Franklin Ace 1000 (with 4 awesome floppy drives!) played many hours of those and more.

Wizardry is still the best for sentimentality though...and Return of Werdna the most extreme example of annoying copy protection via manual . F'n dark maroon paper with small print and a huge code to copy every damn time you played...or was it each time you changed dungeon level...horrendous whatever it was.

24. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 22:06 Creston

Dagnamit wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 17:10:
It's time for my annual Wasteland speedrun! 2 hours and 22 minutes last time. content skipping galore!!

/go get the lady with the uzi in needles.
//savage village, NATOS
///Vegas, lazerzzz, pew pew pew
////Cochise, win

Spoilers!

23. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 21:36 Orogogus

Eh. I guess Falcon had that monster 3 ring binder manual, and I never got into submarine or sports games, but aside from copy protection in Wasteland and the Gold Box games, back in my piracy days I played through a lot of games including the Arkania games without a manual (or the Internet).

Games are designed to be played, and clicking buttons and pressing random keys then failing a few dozen times was usually enough to get me through most games. You get pointed in the right direction, start thinking, "wouldn't it be convenient/critical to have a button that does <x>", and often discover that that's exactly what a previously unused button does. No matter how complex an RPG, the basics usually come down to fighter/magician/thief, get better equipment, do quests. Not knowing the mechanics isn't usually fatal (although the Arkania games were particularly obtuse here).

The only game I clearly recall running into a complete brick wall of "click buttons, nothing apparent happens" was Rules of Engagement 2.

22. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 21:18 CJ_Parker

A game where you need a physical manual to get ANYWHERE is not a good game, 25 years ago or now. Good games are intuitive and explain what's needed. And yeah, I was alive back then, although I played PC games only starting 92 .. if you know what east Germany is, you know why. ^^

HAHA so you are an Ossi huh?

Um, anyway, many PC games back in the day were way too complex to not require a manual. A lot of flight sims absolutely required a manual. The technology back then wasn't at the point yet where you could include tutorials on disk or the game that already shipped on eight floppy disks all of a sudden would have required a dozen+ disks.
Or if you look at RPGs like the (awesome) Realms of Arkania series, that required a manual, too, just to explain the rule set and provide the background info that was needed to really get into the games. It would have been impossible at that time to include all of that in the game.
Remember: We are talking DOS days here. Games back then did not even have the most basic functionality like e.g. right-clicking on stuff for an explanation since a lot of games did not even have mouse support. Most games were played with a keyboard and maybe a joystick and that was it.

21. Re: Take On Helicopters Free DLC Aug 10, 2013, 20:20 Axis

Guess many of you are too young to know... you needed a manual anyway for the 'copy protection' questions on most games, unless you knew a bit of assembly Hippy

Yours truly,

Axis

20. Re: Take On Helicopters Free DLC Aug 10, 2013, 19:20 eRe4s3r

vermin wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 19:00:
nin wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 18:37:
A game where you need a physical manual to get ANYWHERE is not a good game, 25 years ago or now.

That certainly a controversial opinion.

lol. or just not a very well thought through statement.

Fair enough... manuals are needed for some stuff and some games ^^ I mean the specific way you need to use it in Wasteland 1 though.

Either way, I played Wasteland 1 and hated it. That's all there is to it. ^^

And just for the record, part of the reason I hated Wasteland 1 is that when I finally got to play it (93) I had played newer and better stuff. So blame EA for not bringing it to (what once was) East Germany faster.

19. Re: Take On Helicopters Free DLC Aug 10, 2013, 19:00 vermin

nin wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 18:37:
A game where you need a physical manual to get ANYWHERE is not a good game, 25 years ago or now.

lol. or just not a very well thought through statement.

18. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 18:37 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 18:37 Mad Max RW

Floppy disks could only hold so much data back then. Stop being a dumbfuck.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo