Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I am soliciting opinions on a couple of questions today. Overnight a couple of posts were reported for being personal attacks, only the attacks were on the developer mentioned in the article, rather than on another reader. The goal of our loose forum rules is to allow as much freedom of expression as possible, so we usually allow more leeway in crabbing about public figures than each other, since the later tends to promote flame wars, while the former doesn't. On the other hand, venom is not required to make most points, so I'm leaning towards removing posts that cross the line of civility, and want to see how you all feel about the tradeoffs this represents between personal expression and good manners. Also, I included a couple of screenshot thumbnails on the front page yesterday and asked if this was okay (normally you'd have to click a link to view the them here), and there were a couple of negative comments, but not much outcry, which has me leaning towards including them more often, so now is the time to say so if you hate that idea. Thanks in advance for whatever feedback you're willing to provide.

Fed Back Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: NeoCon TD.
Papa's Cupcakeria.
Links: Watch Colbert Eviscerate the Head of MTV. Thanks nin.
Stories: Dead shark found in NYC subway car with Redbull, cigarette and fare card. Thanks brother19.
Tesla shares surge after surprise profit.
How GM makes a car sound like what a car is supposed to sound like. Thanks Boing Boing.
Science: Here’s What Happens Inside You When a Mosquito Bites. Thanks Boing Boing.
Dogs yawn with their owners, less so with strangers.
Is age the cause of receding gums?
Pikmin Didn't Think This One Through.
Media: Nerf War - the Candy Cartels.
What Happens When You Put Someone Afraid Of Flying In A Stunt Plane. NSFW. Thanks nin.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2013, 23:59 Suppa7

Comments really don't need to be filtered since mature audiences just ignore posts they disagree with. Only the immature get overly invested in internet comments.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2013, 07:03 jdreyer

Thumbnails are fine, but if others don't like them, I won't miss them. No strong opinion either way.

I would say that removing comments should only be for blatant attacks on forum members, especially those of a racist, sexist, or homophobic nature. I didn't agree with the poster who attacked Carmack, but Carmack is public figure who invites public comment through his words and actions. I'm sure any words on this site won't make him cry in his coffee as he drives one of his seventeen Ferraris to work.

Same for CliffyB, who says some stupid things. I may not agree with attacks on him, but he invites disagreement with his polarizing comments.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

56. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2013, 01:17 1badmf

yes on the thumbnails. easy on the banhammer - let the flames go as long as there is some useful content. if it's just hate spewing, ban away. i trust your judgement to figure out the lines.  

55. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 23:42 sauron

Pics on the front page are fine for me, if in moderation. And on the topic of moderation, just trust the instincts that have served you so well thus far and you will be fine.

I've been visiting since 2001 (I think), and this site is still my go to for gaming news. Keep the standards of journalism and moderation high and go to bat.

Also, live video streams of hobbit roasts and hauntings of old castles. The Mordor audience loves to click on online ads!

Kittens!

54. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 22:19 FU

No personal attacks on public figures, interesting concept.

Seems like ya let some fanboys manipulate ya.

53. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 18:12 Agent.X7

I thought the thumbnails were a cool idea. I've been here forever, though, and will probably be here until you stop posting news, so whatever works for you. I am old and set in my gaming news ways, I guess.

Moderation? I prefer no personal attacks, but a lot of people have issues with debating without resorting to name calling or insults. Most of those people are on my ignore list. Developers? Eh, I guess they should be treated like people too, huh? As long as I can curse occasionally, as in "Wow, that fucking game just blew my mind!" then I don't really care.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

52. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 17:54 Julio

Thumbnails are fine, moderation is fine as is. Sometimes there's a lot of personal attacks, but I view those as someone that is unable to contribute an intelligent point to a conversation.

If everyone has to go with the opinion of the majority (aka the invisible post if people don't agree with you all the time), there wouldn't be much point in posting or reading the comments. So let's stay away from that.

51. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 16:23 Quboid

PropheT wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 15:48:
TorchMaster wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 15:45:
PHJF wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 11:51:
Occasional thumbnails on the front are OK, but I'd rather not see them attached to every which article. How hard is it, if interested in an article, to click through and get screens from within? The wall of blue-backed text greeting me everyday is one of the reasons I visit here as opposed to everywhere else.

^ Agree With This ^

Me too, the simplicity is why I like this site so much.

Me too.

- Quboid

50. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 16:09 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 15:30:
Since this seems aimed at my earlier post...

Oops, I didn't mean for it to sound like it was aimed at you or your post Verno. I did probably use the number 30 because I had just read your post...but that was really just coming off the top of my head. Not really meant to agree or disagree with anyone.

49. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 15:48 PropheT

TorchMaster wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 15:45:
Occasional thumbnails on the front are OK, but I'd rather not see them attached to every which article. How hard is it, if interested in an article, to click through and get screens from within? The wall of blue-backed text greeting me everyday is one of the reasons I visit here as opposed to everywhere else.

^ Agree With This ^

Me too, the simplicity is why I like this site so much.

48. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 15:46 Redmask

Before every post it lists the board rules and one of them is no personal attacks. We all lose our temper from time to time but I think that should count for people in the industry too, many of them read sites like this one after all. I'm sure they're used to worse from the Internet and don't care but that's just my feeling. Saying people can call others who have reached a certain level of fame offensive slurs and names but you can't call someone else here an idiot seems wrong somehow.  

47. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 15:45 TorchMaster

^ Agree With This ^

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

46. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 15:30 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 13:04:
Your site Blue, do whatever you want. I am not even going to ask you to be consistent with moderation. If you as the administrator are willing to continue "administrating" the same person 30 times, that's your business. You give us the tools to ignore people if we want. Even if you didn't, it really isn't all that hard to skip over posts by people who never seem to add anything of value.

Since this seems aimed at my earlier post, I was just pointing out that it takes an extraordinary effort (almost intentional) to get yourself warned or banned and I suspect some people have picked up on that. A few months back things were getting very unpleasant with the political crap spewing over into many threads for example. Those discussions are fun when they happen spontaneously but some people just have a specific agenda and kept baiting in many other topics. I like the site either way but I definitely prefer the more defined moderation approach.

The problem with ignore is that people often respond to low hanging fruit and so you end up seeing it anyway, no big deal. Plus ignore for me is more about not seeing stuff from someone you either don't respect or can't reconcile opinions with despite many efforts, for things that actually violate the posting guidelines I think ignore isn't the answer.

That X-Rebirth footage looks amazing by the way, finally a reason to bring my joystick out of the closet again.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

45. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 15:05 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 13:18:
Cutter. Cutter! CUTTER!!!!

New X-Rebirth Footage!

IT'S ALSO OUT ON NOVEMBER 15TH! HOLY FUCKING FUCK!!!!! I need to find some Nutella to cover myself in!!

How the actual fuck did I miss that? I think...I think I need to go change my shorts. That footage is awesome!

As for the requested feedback:

1. Stating an opinion about why you think someone is disagreeable is ok. Ad hominem attacks are not.

2. Ditch the screenshots. It really breaks the flow on mobiles and decreased the navigability of the site. I tend to read BN far more on my phone than I do on my PC.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 14:43 Creston

Cutter wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 13:31:
I did notice though they say the Nov. 15th release date is Europe though. Eeek! Hope that doesn't mean a delay for us for localization or some dumb shit.

From ego's main site:

X Rebirth will be released for PC in Europe on the 15th of November 2013 and in North America on the 19th of November 2013.

So it's four days. Eh. I can wait that long.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 14:26 Capella

I love the site EXACTLY the way it is now. Thumbnails just make it look cluttered. As for moderation, I liked it better when you did less. That is way we have the ignore feature right? But understand that some things do need to be removed.  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

42. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 14:17 BobBob

loomy wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 12:58:
people are sensitive about things. each thing has a person somewhere who is sensitive about it.

the sum total of humanity is sensitive about everything, and if everything was censored to make everyone happy, nothing would be left. the only solution to global sensitivity (that isn't scorched earth) is tolerance.

I appreciate the philosophy of your comment. Tolerance is a difficult skill to practice and near impossible to master. Besides work and family, I often put on my headphones, enjoy the beach, and live in my own imaginary world. I'm being honest, right?

41. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 14:11 Creston

My only problem with X-Rebirth is that it's coming out right around AC4 and Watch Dogs. Sigh.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 13:53 Mashiki Amiketo

I'm perfectly fine with the way moderation has been done. As for thumbnails, couldn't care. One of the nice things about here is the page loads fast, very fast without the images and scripts a lot of other sites use.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

39. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 13:49 SpectralMeat

That should be front page news right there!

Steam: SpectralMeat

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo