Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

John Carmack Joins Oculus VR

Oculus VR announces John Carmack has joined them as Chief Technical Officer as they continue the quest towards viable consumer-level VR headsets. According to GamesIndustry International Oculus VR initially referred to him as "formerly at id Software," but they have a statement from Bethesda clarifying this is not the case, and this press release says no such thing. Bethesda tells them: "John has long been interested in the work at Oculus VR and wishes to spend time on that project. The technical leadership he provides for games in development at id Software is unaffected." This has a certain vagueness to it, and Oculus VR's announcement states "John will be working from the new Oculus Dallas office that weíre opening soon." When pressed, Bethesda told GamesIndustry International that he "will spend time working out of Oculus as part of his role with them, but he will also continue to work at id." Kotaku notes a John Carmack tweet clarifying his priorities: "My time division is now Oculus over Id over Armadillo. Busy busy busy!" The announcement includes John's thoughts on the occasion:

"I have fond memories of the development work that led to a lot of great things in modern gaming Ė the intensity of the first person experience, LAN and internet play, game mods, and so on. Duct taping a strap and hot gluing sensors onto Palmerís early prototype Rift and writing the code to drive it ranks right up there. Now is a special time. I believe that VR will have a huge impact in the coming years, but everyone working today is a pioneer. The paradigms that everyone will take for granted in the future are being figured out today; probably by people reading this message. Itís certainly not there yet. There is a lot more work to do, and there are problems we donít even know about that will need to be solved, but I am eager to work on them. Itís going to be awesome!Ē

View
87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

87. Re: John Carmack Joins Oculus VR Aug 8, 2013, 13:10 Parias

InBlack wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 04:11:
I was seriously considering getting one for DCS, but currently DCS doesnt support it 'officialy' and there is the thing about fidelity. Im not sure that the detail is high enough to spot bogeys at any reasonable distance and to discern the different avionics instruments without zoom. Right now Im playing DCS @ 1080p with a 23' monitor and I still have to use quite a bit of zoom every now and again. I guess Im going to wait for the commercial version.

Is there word yet on if DCS will ever end up getting "official" OR support?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

86. Re: John Carmack Joins Oculus VR Aug 8, 2013, 05:44 shul

Prez wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 16:24:
Until my kids are grown and moved out and my wife comes to her senses and divorces me I can't see ever using a VR headset no matter how inexpensive and awesome. I just can't be seen wearing something like that without feeling overly self-conscious.

You should see my wife's face when I remove the Rift from my face..

85. Re: John Carmack Joins Oculus VR Aug 8, 2013, 04:11 InBlack

Frijoles wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 23:07:
fujiJuice wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 22:39:
I wouldn't have an issue wearing it in front of my wife, however I would be extremely hesitant to wear it around strangers, just because you have no idea what is going on outside the VR. I don't foresee that situation arising much though, at least for me.

I was playing Doom a couple nights ago with mine on, and my wife came in to say goodnight. She didn't know what to do, so she just leaned down and gave me a kiss on the forehead. In Doom I was killing a room of demon jumping things. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end and I was seriously freaked out. I told her not to do that ever again. I can't imagine using it with asshole roommates. Not without a lock on the door anyway.

Also, if you are farsighted, you're fine. If you're nearsighted, you can switch to the B or C cups and hope they work. They _say_ you can wear glasses in it, but I don't see how. They nearly touch my eyes at the farthest setting and I have no glasses. Hopefully they increase the distance slightly for the consumer version, as well as letting us change the physical IPD of the cups.

Wouldnt it be the other way around? Isnt the screen like 10 cms from your face? Nearsighted == Sees things up close.

I was seriously considering getting one for DCS, but currently DCS doesnt support it 'officialy' and there is the thing about fidelity. Im not sure that the detail is high enough to spot bogeys at any reasonable distance and to discern the different avionics instruments without zoom. Right now Im playing DCS @ 1080p with a 23' monitor and I still have to use quite a bit of zoom every now and again. I guess Im going to wait for the commercial version.

I have a nifty blue line!

84. Re: John Carmack Joins Oculus VR Aug 7, 2013, 23:07 Frijoles

fujiJuice wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 22:39:
I wouldn't have an issue wearing it in front of my wife, however I would be extremely hesitant to wear it around strangers, just because you have no idea what is going on outside the VR. I don't foresee that situation arising much though, at least for me.

I was playing Doom a couple nights ago with mine on, and my wife came in to say goodnight. She didn't know what to do, so she just leaned down and gave me a kiss on the forehead. In Doom I was killing a room of demon jumping things. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end and I was seriously freaked out. I told her not to do that ever again. I can't imagine using it with asshole roommates. Not without a lock on the door anyway.

Also, if you are farsighted, you're fine. If you're nearsighted, you can switch to the B or C cups and hope they work. They _say_ you can wear glasses in it, but I don't see how. They nearly touch my eyes at the farthest setting and I have no glasses. Hopefully they increase the distance slightly for the consumer version, as well as letting us change the physical IPD of the cups.

83. Re: John Carmack Joins Oculus VR Aug 7, 2013, 22:39 fujiJuice

As for Carmack, I feel bad for him sometimes, it seems like as the biggest name within id, he gets saddled with every complaint about their games. Things that he probably took no part in the decision making process of, I just imagine him in a room starring at code all day. I don't doubt that he loves games and programming, and I hope he is able to do what he does best in this new position, coding ground-breaking tech. He also seems like a cool guy, considering all he has done it doesn't seem like he lets it go to his head.

82. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2013, 22:20 entr0py

Sepharo wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 20:23:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 19:56:
SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 18:49:
Ray Marden wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 18:32:
Noting this is all moot while I wear glasses,
Ray
I do hope they will figure something out for people wearing glasses, but I thought I've read somewhere that you don't really have to worry about that as the screens you are looking at are literally right in front of your eyes.
It ships with several sets of corrective lenses, and I believe there is room for a set of glasses inside as well.

Yeah the guy who was giving out free roller coaster rides at work would ask how people's vision was and would do some quick adjustments before handing it over. Seemed pretty easy.

Also, I think they've said they want to design the consumer version to have enough room on the inside that you can simply keep your glasses on. The corrective cups were sort of a stopgap measure.

81. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2013, 21:02 Lorcin

Honestly the last iD game I REALLY enjoyed was Quake 2. Quake 3 was fun - but I preferred Unreal Tournament. As for Rage? we all assumed Borderlands was a rip off of Rage based on the Rage's earlier release announcement.

But then BL came out first and showed iD how they could have improved things whilst using competitively weaker graphics.

Now we have BL2 which is generally considered BL1 done right - or BL1.5

So where does that leave Rage, iD and it's employees.

The last game they made that I enjoyed is 16 years old. Seriously my 14 year old daughter wasn't even born the last time I really enjoyed an iD game. I know that sounds like I'm stating the obvious, but picture all the nappies, learning to walk, first day at school etc right up to having a boyfriend for over a year. That's how long it is since I really enjoyed an iD game. Practically an entire childhood.

There is no doubt Carmack is a technical genius and I'm sure he'll bring a lot to OR. As for iD? it's franchises are worth more through nostalgia value then they are as sell-able properties. iD is PC's Sega.

80. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 20:53 Creston

Rigs wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 19:50:
Oh, and I wouldn't have thought both of you , Prez and Creston, would be so *ahem* 'whipped' as to worry about having a VR headset on your face while you pretend to listen to your significant other. If it bothers you that much, you can always buy her one too...

=-Rigs-=

What can I say, SOME people actually love their wives.

79. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2013, 20:52 Creston

Ray
I do hope they will figure something out for people wearing glasses, but I thought I've read somewhere that you don't really have to worry about that as the screens you are looking at are literally right in front of your eyes.

That doesn't really matter. Some people might be able to take their glasses off / contacts out and use it, but a lot of people have issues with their focal point being further out than normal, so with it being as close as it is, they still wouldn't be able to see it.

Such is life.

78. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2013, 20:41 Lorcin

[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 20:16:
Carmack Screwed us!
chug-a-lug ... chug-a-lug
He screwed us good...
Quakeworld ring a bell?
Grape wine in a Mason jar...
wheres that bucket of tar?
Carmack Screwed us!
and then he fucking doed us...
He screwed us on Doom 2...
and on quakeworld too...
chug-a-lug ... chug-a-lug..
Quake 2 we were hitting the weed
Then he gave the dick to steed...
chug-a-lug ... chug-a-lug...
Took the cash from our pockets
Wasted the money on rockets
Carmack Screwed us!
He screwed us good..

That's nice

Now fuck off.

77. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2013, 20:23 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 19:56:
Ray
It ships with several sets of corrective lenses, and I believe there is room for a set of glasses inside as well.

Yeah the guy who was giving out free roller coaster rides at work would ask how people's vision was and would do some quick adjustments before handing it over. Seemed pretty easy.

76. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2013, 20:16 [VG]Reagle

Carmack Screwed us!
He screwed us good...
Quakeworld ring a bell?
Grape wine in a Mason jar...
wheres that bucket of tar?
Carmack Screwed us!
and then he fucking doed us...
He screwed us on Doom 2...
and on quakeworld too...
chug-a-lug ... chug-a-lug..
Quake 2 we were hitting the weed
Then he gave the dick to steed...
Took the cash from our pockets
Wasted the money on rockets
Carmack Screwed us!
He screwed us good..

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

75. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2013, 19:59 jdreyer

[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 19:44:
One can only hope that the scum that is John Carmack is gone from gaming forever. All he does is puke technical jargon and has no idea how games are actually made. Things like investment in developing pipelines and spending time polishing games is irrelevant as long as your focused on graphics driver development and memory allocation. Right John?

And oh ya you leaned over the whole gaming community and gave it to us right up the poop shoot when you abandoned us during quake 2. Remember that Johhny boy?

Your scum. And your rockets dont fly either. Romero was right about you....
Whoa, dude. You might want to see a doctor about that grudge. Looks like it has been festering for 15 years.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

74. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2013, 19:56 jdreyer

Ray

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

73. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 19:50 Rigs

Ray

I've seen numerous previews and interviews where they've said that glasses are not an issue in wearing the Rift. I want one so bad I can taste it. No, really, I'm chewing on an HDMI cable right now!

Oh, and I wouldn't have thought both of you , Prez and Creston, would be so *ahem* 'whipped' as to worry about having a VR headset on your face while you pretend to listen to your significant other. If it bothers you that much, you can always buy her one too...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2013, 20:16.

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

72. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2013, 19:45 nin

[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 19:44:
One can only hope that the scum that is John Carmack is gone from gaming forever. All he does is puke technical jargon and has no idea how games are actually made. Things like investment in developing pipelines and spending time polishing games is irrelevant as long as your focused on graphics driver development and memory allocation. Right John?

And oh ya you leaned over the whole gaming community and gave it to us right up the poop shoot when you abandoned us during quake 2. Remember that Johhny boy?

Your scum. And your rockets dont fly either. Romero was right....

I'm pretty sure he's accomplished a lot more in life than you have...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

71. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2013, 19:44 [VG]Reagle

Your scum. And your rockets dont fly either. Romero was right about you....

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

70. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2013, 19:30 Doug Bane

The Rift is going to be amazing. It's still many months from release but already there's hundreds of apps supporting it, http://www.oculusriftenabled.com/ is updated with new ones every day.

69. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2013, 18:49 SpectralMeat

Ray

Steam: SpectralMeat

68. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2013, 18:32 Ray Marden

I do agree with that. He seems to have no real passion for gaming and certainly is not a game designer, but technology has always intrigued him.

Hopefully they finalize his separation from id and he can work on this full time.
I doubt this will take off, but here is to hoping...
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo