Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 21:59 Beamer

wtf_man wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 20:57:
Creston wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 11:58:
Quite a few of them use Hypervisor for it, though, so I doubt MS cares all that much.

Which is exactly where Microsoft has already positioned itself. Office is now cloud based, you can get cloud based desktops from them, Azure is making money like a spurting oil geyser, etc.

You are forgetting the competition.

For Visualization, there's Citrix, VMware, and a few others. We run a mix of Citrix, VMware, and HyperV... and are phasing our HyperV and Citrix in favor of VMWare.

The for Office in the cloud there's Google Docs. Heck even a few state governments switch to Google Docs.

My point is... in the past... Microsoft didn't have to fight very hard to keep it's own market. After dominating for so long, and being slow (Like IBM was in the 80's with PCs) they are getting pounded in markets that they used to easily dominate.

I'm not saying they still don't dominate in some areas... but it is becoming much more difficult for them to maintain dominance, and if they don't pull their heads out of their asses... remain relevant.

Google Docs will never catch on in business because no one thinks it's secure. Having your PC hacked and sensitive spreadsheets stolen is far less likely than having your Google password hacked/socially engineered away.

Microsoft Office 2010 blows at shared spreadsheets, but if we're working with any kind of cost information we can't put it into Google Docs. Google Docs does exactly one thing better than Excel, and here I desperately need it for a project, and it's utterly nixed. For the same reason, Office 365, which would also solve the issue, seems far less likely to be adopted any time soon.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 20:57 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 11:58:
Quite a few of them use Hypervisor for it, though, so I doubt MS cares all that much.

Which is exactly where Microsoft has already positioned itself. Office is now cloud based, you can get cloud based desktops from them, Azure is making money like a spurting oil geyser, etc.

You are forgetting the competition.

For Visualization, there's Citrix, VMware, and a few others. We run a mix of Citrix, VMware, and HyperV... and are phasing our HyperV and Citrix in favor of VMWare.

The for Office in the cloud there's Google Docs. Heck even a few state governments switch to Google Docs.

My point is... in the past... Microsoft didn't have to fight very hard to keep it's own market. After dominating for so long, and being slow (Like IBM was in the 80's with PCs) they are getting pounded in markets that they used to easily dominate.

I'm not saying they still don't dominate in some areas... but it is becoming much more difficult for them to maintain dominance, and if they don't pull their heads out of their asses... remain relevant.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2013, 21:03.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 13:23 mag

John wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 12:38:
Tony!!! wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 11:04:
Sweet. Cant wait for a new console. My 360 and ps3 are DAMN OLD!! Getting Xbox first...It was the superior controller and Live that won me over last gen.
I agree about the 360 controller over the PS3s, but the PS4 controller looks a little wider so it should feel better in hand. I'll be getting the PS4 this year and so far have no plans to get the new xbox at all. I pre-ordered the PS4 along with the new Killzone game and will probably get a few other games as Christmas gifts.

The 360 controller comes the closest to giving me RSI issues of any controller I've ever used. I hate the damn thing. Not a huge fan of the DualShock series of controllers, but they're definitely nicer than the 360 one.

Now if the Gamecube controller would make a comeback...

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 13:11 Beamer

Verno wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 12:43:
The PS4 controller fixed all of the issues and made a few improvements even. Wider with more natural holding grips, better weight and distribution, touchpad options for menu navigation/etc, improved triggers and shoulder buttons, more space between the analog sticks, etc. Just a huge improvement overall. The 360 controller was already pretty good but the Xbox One version doesn't even bother to refine it, just rumble on triggers (meh who cares) and the thing still uses batteries.

We'll see. The analog sticks are still in lesser positions, the touchpad seems hard to reach and utterly pointless, and I'll believe they have good triggers when I feel it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 12:43 Verno

The PS4 controller fixed all of the issues and made a few improvements even. Wider with more natural holding grips, better weight and distribution, touchpad options for menu navigation/etc, improved triggers and shoulder buttons, more space between the analog sticks, etc. Just a huge improvement overall. The 360 controller was already pretty good but the Xbox One version doesn't even bother to refine it, just rumble on triggers (meh who cares) and the thing still uses batteries.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 12:38 John

Tony!!! wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 11:04:
Sweet. Cant wait for a new console. My 360 and ps3 are DAMN OLD!! Getting Xbox first...It was the superior controller and Live that won me over last gen.
I agree about the 360 controller over the PS3s, but the PS4 controller looks a little wider so it should feel better in hand. I'll be getting the PS4 this year and so far have no plans to get the new xbox at all. I pre-ordered the PS4 along with the new Killzone game and will probably get a few other games as Christmas gifts.

This space is available for rent

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 11:58 Creston

wtf_man wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 10:17:
Hell, even enterprises are virtualizing their legacy apps to run on other platforms,

and all the new stuff is web based, yet internal

Microsoft, as we have known it, is already toast.

Heh.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 11:52 Panickd

Verno wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 09:23:
It'll do fine at retail in North America, they're going to have brand inertia for years to come unfortunately and Microsoft has deep pockets for marketing. I'm more interested in seeing Sony do well and force Microsoft to compete, look at how arrogant MS became in the gaming industry in such a short period of time.

The fact that the XBox One and PS4 are so similar hardware-wise means that outside of first party titles I wouldn't expect to see much in the way of exclusive AAA titles like there were in the current generation. And it was that exclusivity that drove XBox 360 sales for the first part of it's life. Later sales were driven by people wanting to have the same system their friends had. I think it'll play out in a much more balanced way this time around though if only because it'll take very little work to move a game from one system to the other. To not put out a title for both would be like turning down free money.

And Microsoft sufficiently pissed off the indie developers with it's policies on the XBLA enough that most of them have thrown their gauntlets down on Sony's side for now. Should be fun to watch it all play out.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 11:04 Tony!!!

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 10:17 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 09:23:
look at how arrogant MS became in the gaming industry in such a short period of time.

It's not all that surprising given how arrogant they are in the OS and Office industries.

Windows 8.1, while an improvement, will also flop. Not so much because of the UI battle, but because other than the enterprise, Microsoft has become fairly irrelevant. Hell, even enterprises are virtualizing their legacy apps to run on other platforms, and all the new stuff is web based, yet internal. Don't need Windows to run web based apps. Don't get me wrong... there are still things that will always be processor intensive and thick clients... like CAD, etc. but a majority of business can be done on a thin client, virtualized legacy apps, and web based new apps. Then there's the whole BYOD drive.

Microsoft, as we have known it, is already toast.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 09:23 Verno

It'll do fine at retail in North America, they're going to have brand inertia for years to come unfortunately and Microsoft has deep pockets for marketing. I'm more interested in seeing Sony do well and force Microsoft to compete, look at how arrogant MS became in the gaming industry in such a short period of time.  

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 09:20 nin

Microsoft hints at Xbox One launch November 5th.

I so look forward to the ass beating it gets this fall...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 09:14 Verno

A few retailers here leaked Nov. 5 for the Adbox Kinect and Nov. 11 for the PS4.  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo