Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 2 Clues?

A recent reddit Valve tour may spill some beans about what's up at the developer, as a photo of a monitor (blown up but blurry on NeoGAF) has emerged allegedly taken during the visit that shows an internal change log showing work progressing on Left 4 Dead 3 and Source Engine 2. This is unconfirmed, but plausible, as Valve has already seemingly confirmed Source 2, and it's not like they are reporting something farfetched like the continuation of the Half-Life series. Thanks Eurogamer.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 8, 2013, 04:42 Jackplug

when its released is when its released, until then cant be arsed!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 7, 2013, 07:29 Redmask

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 21:25:
Excuse me, then, because what I inferred (you implied) is that you thought Turtle Rock was still kind of its own entity , AKA a BioWare/EA type of relationship. Which is a point of view I could sort of understand someone having, but okay, it turns out you are indeed discussing nothing more but semantics. Like those silly people insisting Valve doesn't make anything they release, they just hire other developers and inherit stuff they had come up with... As if the "real" Valve is nothing more than a bunch of monkeys in suits yelling at the slave-coders down in the pits to do their work for them.

No one cares, seriously what a dumb thing to nitpick.

41. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 7, 2013, 04:09 InBlack

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 10:42:
Zombie games just don't want to die!
I'd probably check out L4D3. At least they are not coming out with a new one every year.
I think there was only a year between L4D1 and 2

This is why I never bought L4D2, L4D1 was awesome in multiplayer both versus and coop and probably the most innovative FPS to come out since....well since HL1. L4D2 looked and felt like a glorified expansion and had it been marketed and sold as such I would have coughed up the dough. A full priced sequel though? Erm, no it aint.

I have a nifty blue line!

40. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 7, 2013, 00:16 fujiJuice

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 21:06:
Yeah, but that's essentially an impossibility. Where do levels end? If I decided I just want to blast due west rather than fight bad guys, what happens?
Ignoring that arguably limited case, the bigger issue is having to build levels that include everything. Making a game in a city? Well, you have to model the inside of every building, because I can blast into every building. Is it a skyskraper? Well, I'm blasting a hole straight to the top, then toppling the whole thing, trying to create dominoes, etc.

Sounds awesome, but man, the amount of art hours...

Not necessarily, and keep in mind I'm not an engine programmer. However couldn't you just build a procedurally generated city, with different building biomes, and within them different room biomes. Obviously hand crafting every inch of a city would be impossible, but I think we are going to start seeing more procedurally generated games, even if it's something generated during the development process, then polished.

39. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 23:35 theyarecomingforyou

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 21:25:
If you're hired by Valve, you ARE Valve, and people within Valve work on whatever they damn well please, so it makes no difference.
There's quite a difference between being a Valve employee starting a new gaming project from scratch and being part of an outside developer that is bought up by Valve. You don't immediately acquire the culture of another company when the ownership changes, it takes time. It's fair to say that Valve does very little from its core staff, relying mostly on acquired IP and projects. That's not to say they aren't very good, as there is certainly a skill to knowing the right projects to take on, but it's different to Valve creating games of its own.

Which brings us to the main issue, which is that Valve simply doesn't release many projects of its own. Valve was famous for its Half-Life series yet that is now nowhere to be seen, which is disappointing given its impact upon the gaming industry.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

38. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 21:25 jacobvandy

Prez wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 20:35:
Doesn't sound like I am mistaken as much as we are talking semantics, but okay. The part of the team that stayed at Valve is who is doing L4D3, which is what I was inferring. The rest of Valve (the vast majority) is still doing Valve things. You know, like making new hats for F2P games, pushing source, and making money with Steam while every once in a while denying that anything is happening with HL 3.

Excuse me, then, because what I inferred (you implied) is that you thought Turtle Rock was still kind of its own entity , AKA a BioWare/EA type of relationship. Which is a point of view I could sort of understand someone having, but okay, it turns out you are indeed discussing nothing more but semantics. Like those silly people insisting Valve doesn't make anything they release, they just hire other developers and inherit stuff they had come up with... As if the "real" Valve is nothing more than a bunch of monkeys in suits yelling at the slave-coders down in the pits to do their work for them.

If you're hired by Valve, you ARE Valve, and people within Valve work on whatever they damn well please, so it makes no difference. Valve makes Left 4 Dead now, just like Valve makes Portal and Team Fortress and Half-Life and Source. I very much doubt that there is a 'Left 4 Dead crew' that has worked together all this time, sitting at the same table in the cafeteria every day and shunning the participation of anyone else who might want to help work on their series...

37. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 21:22 Fantaz

Can't wait to play Counter-Strike 2 on Source v.2  

36. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 21:06 Beamer

Orogogus wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 17:36:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 14:26:
MindStalker3 wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 14:03:
Numinar wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 13:20:
Stiff competition that you would need a mighty nice design doc/bucket load of technical goodies (Fully destructible everything and next-gen dynamic AI!) to want to take them on with.

Why would you really WANT fully destructible everything in a story based single player? It really ruins the ability to tell a story if you can go everywhere and do anything. GTA quasi pulls it off, but its a different beast entirely. Yes, multiple paths, but fully destructible means open world

That's not true at all. You could easily have enough destructibility, to the point where it merits the description "fully-destructible," without it being open world. You would have to use some unbreakable rock or whatever enveloping the borders of a linear-ish level, but it's doable. Red Faction: Armageddon did it, though only to about 20% of the potential (badly needed terrain deformation).

"Fully destructible everything" is where the bar is being set, though.

Yeah, but that's essentially an impossibility. Where do levels end? If I decided I just want to blast due west rather than fight bad guys, what happens?
Ignoring that arguably limited case, the bigger issue is having to build levels that include everything. Making a game in a city? Well, you have to model the inside of every building, because I can blast into every building. Is it a skyskraper? Well, I'm blasting a hole straight to the top, then toppling the whole thing, trying to create dominoes, etc.

Sounds awesome, but man, the amount of art hours...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 20:35 Prez

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 17:41:
Prez wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 14:59:
Left 4 Dead 3 is really the only zombie game I want. Left 4 Dead was doing it before using ombies in games was borderline nauseating cliche, and the simple formula is still interesting. But 'Valve' isn't actually developing Left 4 Dead 3, are they? They just acquired the studio that makes the series.

You are mistaken, because Turtle Rock Studios was almost completely absorbed by Valve. Between the acquisition and the release of the original Left 4 Dead, they operated as a subsidiary studio, but that was shut down shortly thereafter. They let whoever didn't want to join Valve proper have the name back, but if there is anybody remaining of that team, they're not doing much of anything anymore. Turtle Rock Studios did not do Left 4 Dead 2, only helped with a couple of DLCs, and their last release was a mobile game called "Leap Sheep," which doesn't even have a Wikipedia page. They were working on another FPS with THQ a couple years back, which was bought up by 2K during the bankruptcy, so who knows what's going on with it now. Only thing ever known was that it was using CryEngine 3.

Doesn't sound like I am mistaken as much as we are talking semantics, but okay. The part of the team that stayed at Valve is who is doing L4D3, which is what I was inferring. The rest of Valve (the vast majority) is still doing Valve things. You know, like making new hats for F2P games, pushing source, and making money with Steam while every once in a while denying that anything is happening with HL 3.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2013, 20:40.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

34. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 18:25 Smellfinger

I hope it ends up being a persistent-world shooter like Destiny.  

33. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 17:41 jacobvandy

Prez wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 14:59:
Left 4 Dead 3 is really the only zombie game I want. Left 4 Dead was doing it before using ombies in games was borderline nauseating cliche, and the simple formula is still interesting. But 'Valve' isn't actually developing Left 4 Dead 3, are they? They just acquired the studio that makes the series.

You are mistaken, because Turtle Rock Studios was almost completely absorbed by Valve. Between the acquisition and the release of the original Left 4 Dead, they operated as a subsidiary studio, but that was shut down shortly thereafter. They let whoever didn't want to join Valve proper have the name back, but if there is anybody remaining of that team, they're not doing much of anything anymore. Turtle Rock Studios did not do Left 4 Dead 2, only helped with a couple of DLCs, and their last release was a mobile game called "Leap Sheep," which doesn't even have a Wikipedia page. They were working on another FPS with THQ a couple years back, which was bought up by 2K during the bankruptcy, so who knows what's going on with it now. Only thing ever known was that it was using CryEngine 3.

32. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 17:36 Orogogus

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 14:26:
Stiff competition that you would need a mighty nice design doc/bucket load of technical goodies (Fully destructible everything and next-gen dynamic AI!) to want to take them on with.

Why would you really WANT fully destructible everything in a story based single player? It really ruins the ability to tell a story if you can go everywhere and do anything. GTA quasi pulls it off, but its a different beast entirely. Yes, multiple paths, but fully destructible means open world

That's not true at all. You could easily have enough destructibility, to the point where it merits the description "fully-destructible," without it being open world. You would have to use some unbreakable rock or whatever enveloping the borders of a linear-ish level, but it's doable. Red Faction: Armageddon did it, though only to about 20% of the potential (badly needed terrain deformation).

"Fully destructible everything" is where the bar is being set, though.

31. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 17:31 Asmodai

Play Red Faction Guerrilla (GTA:Mars) and then come back about fully destructable environments not working. They were awesome fun for that game... =)

And re: HL3, at some point the cock teasing has to end. It's their flagship franchise, what launched them from obscurity to fame. The story telling, environment etc is what made the games. Plus there is some intersecting hints and clues in Portal that points to the two games intersecting. I can't imagine that they don't want to do it.

30. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 14:59 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 14:49 Wildone

I want FULL DESTRUCTIBILITY but ALSO have the Zombies be broken down into various pieces like outer dermis, muscles and bones tissues as well as pieces of body like head chunks, torso chunks ect  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 14:46 Rigs

zombiefan wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 14:29:
To all you whiny bitches: There will never be enough zombie games. But there will be stupid attempts to cash in on the zombie, by throwing them into Colonial America for instance. Regardless,

BRING ON THE ZOMBIES!!!

Says the guy named 'zombiefan'...

'Whiny bitch', eh? Bat Why don't you come over here and we'll have a little talk about getting your point across in a more 'mature' manner...

=-Rigs-

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

27. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 14:29 zombiefan

To all you whiny bitches: There will never be enough zombie games. But there will be stupid attempts to cash in on the zombie, by throwing them into Colonial America for instance. Regardless,

BRING ON THE ZOMBIES!!!

26. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 14:26 jacobvandy

25. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 14:21 John

Creston wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 12:21:
Are people really that eager for another Left 4 Dead? I enjoyed the games well enough, but really? Yet More Zombies?
I'm not really but I would probably get it once it dropped in price and went on sale. I thought L4D1&2 were ok except for the waves of running zombies.

As for HL3 or Ep3, I'd be more interested in that.

This space is available for rent

24. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 14:21 Parias

I never felt Half-Life 2 was overrated, but I also loved the hell out of the story. I'd love to see Half-Life 3 just because I've rarely seen other games that can immerse me so well in the experience.  

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo