Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Interviews

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 7, 2013, 14:17 Verno

Cutter wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 13:22:
You're idiots if you don't see the sexism involved in this. No surprise there.

Given that you have failed to offer a single example I'm going to disagree and chalk this up to a transparent attempt to have the last word on a day old topic.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 7, 2013, 13:22 Cutter

You're idiots if you don't see the sexism involved in this. No surprise there.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

24. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 21:02 Beamer

Orogogus wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 20:37:
On further reflection can we maybe just write this one off as Old Man Cutter at it again, ha ha ha, and not have another sexism in the video game industry thread already?

Deal.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 20:48 Verno

Prez wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 20:46:
LMAO! A lack of modesty is SO sexy!

I was waiting for someone to say "and humble too!"

22. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 20:47 Slashman

Impressive resume or not, that still sounds like the standard corporate BS spiel.

The whole AAA mentality is exactly what keeps screwing the industry over as everyone has to have the next CoD, AC and whatever other stupid acronym is the big game buzzword.

How about someone executes an idea for a game and realistically sets a budget that doesn't include voiceovers from Patrick Stewart or Liam Neeson?

It's cute when you mention TF2, but no one else seems to actually want their players to make money off their games but Valve. Haven't seen that from EA and I doubt we'll see it from Ubisoft.

So what you're really saying is: 'We don't want things to change, we just want to make more money off them. I hope we can cash in on the stuff that makes indie games so great but keep screwing you gamers over so you THINK you're getting a good deal. When we drive this truckload of DLC up to your door, we hope you have your credit cards ready.'

21. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 20:46 Prez

Verno wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 14:45:
It is actually possible to be both good looking and talented, I should know Smitten

LMAO! A lack of modesty is SO sexy!

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

20. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 20:37 Orogogus

On further reflection can we maybe just write this one off as Old Man Cutter at it again, ha ha ha, and not have another sexism in the video game industry thread already?  

19. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 20:34 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 19:23:
Redmask wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 18:13:
Can you back up any of this or is that straight from your ass? Jade Raymond has a really impressive resume and reputation. You can get the former based on looks sometimes but people will resent you.

Guys like you and Beamer can pander all you like but it's not going to get you a date with her so spare us the bullshit.

I'm not on the market but thanks for trying to keep up on my date life. You seem to be the only person obsessing about these womens sexuality, they have solid work history and reputation.

You seem to have all of these criticisms for people who have impeccable credentials and substantial work history in their respective industries. You're what, a line cook who likes videogames or something? It's not unreasonable to ask what you're basing your opinion on when you insist they're coasting on looks, a view which seems to be based on nothing at all since you have yet to back it up with a single example. Since you brought it up, Julie Larson Green worked on several successful projects including Visual C++, Windows NT and so on before Windows 8 so it's not like shes tripping over herself with mistakes.

18. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 20:29 Draugr

Cutter wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 19:23:
Can you back up any of this or is that straight from your ass? Jade Raymond has a really impressive resume and reputation. You can get the former based on looks sometimes but people will resent you.

Guys like you and Beamer can pander all you like but it's not going to get you a date with her so spare us the bullshit.

Confirmed then, it's from your ass.

Her resume speaks for itself, but let's ignore all that and just pretend her attractiveness is the only reason she has a job, not the laundry list of successful titles she's been involved in throughout the years. Rolleyes

17. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 19:23 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

16. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 18:31 Orogogus

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 15:54:
Cutter wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 15:49:
Yeah, just like Julie Larson Green. Oh no, she's eminently qualified for the job and it has nothing to do with her looks. What a rousing success Windows 8 is! Rolleyes

When you call a company on this sort of bullshit - and the world is rife with it in every sector - it's fact, not sexism. Same reason you see plenty of incompetent yet still handsome CEOs who are the public face of the company. I never said it applies only to women, it's just easier for them to get ahead based solely on their looks. And while Raymond may not be incompetent she also wouldn't be where she is if she didn't look as good as she does. Think she'd be in charge if she was dumpy, fat little chick? Negro please.

Here's the thing, marketing budgets are out of control these days, big publisher budgets are out of control these days, that's why they're afraid of the indies success with making cheaper to make games, which are often throw backs to old school titles that people still want to play that the EA's and Take-Two's won't take a chance on.

But hey it's because of sexism or whatever social justice focal point of the week this week is. The whole entire world is against women according to some people.

...is it that you think Cutter and Beamer are the same person, is how we're supposed to be reading your posts? It's kind of incomprehensible otherwise.

It's very clear that Cutter is not saying that the world is against women.

15. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 18:13 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 15:54:
But hey it's because of sexism or whatever social justice focal point of the week this week is. The whole entire world is against women according to some people.

You have totally and utterly failed to have even a basic comprehension of what's going on here, perhaps you should read things first before zerg rushing to antagonize someone else so you won't look foolish in the process.

That's what happens when you hire people based on looks rather than ability.

14. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 16:38 Beamer

Also, I have him blocked, but I'm fairly certain RollingThundr is rushing in to defend the white man. Someone's got to do it, right? Right?  
-------------

13. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 16:13 NewMaxx

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 15:56:
When an industry that women have to work extra hard in to be taken even slightly seriously finally puts a woman into a leadership position that she very clearly deserves only to have people say "she only got there because she's hot," then yes. Yes that is sexism.

I think it's important to note that "hotness" is subjective and has a gradient to it, as well. Certainly there is an average through a majority group with a point of threshold, but you see what I mean. The point I'm trying to make is that sexism is inherently about ostracizing based on gender, regardless of other reasons. It's similar to the French shaving the heads of women who slept with Nazis, once the war was over. It was a way for the community to "take revenge," and is a reflection of a previous state of impotence of that community. Sexism is a form of this by which men in the industry seek to downplay their own inadequacies.

12. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 15:56 Beamer

Yeah, just like Julie Larson Green. Oh no, she's eminently qualified for the job and it has nothing to do with her looks. What a rousing success Windows 8 is! Rolleyes

When you call a company on this sort of bullshit - and the world is rife with it in every sector - it's fact, not sexism. Same reason you see plenty of incompetent yet still handsome CEOs who are the public face of the company. I never said it applies only to women, it's just easier for them to get ahead based solely on their looks. And while Raymond may not be incompetent she also wouldn't be where she is if she didn't look as good as she does. Think she'd be in charge if she was dumpy, fat little chick? Negro please.

When an industry that women have to work extra hard in to be taken even slightly seriously finally puts a woman into a leadership position that she very clearly deserves only to have people say "she only got there because she's hot," then yes. Yes that is sexism.

-------------

11. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 15:54 RollinThundr

Here's the thing, marketing budgets are out of control these days, big publisher budgets are out of control these days, that's why they're afraid of the indies success with making cheaper to make games, which are often throw backs to old school titles that people still want to play that the EA's and Take-Two's won't take a chance on.

10. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 15:49 Cutter

9. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 15:43 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 14:52:
Cutter wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 13:59:
Prez wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 13:37:
The head of Ubisoft Toronto said that there is a perception at conferences like E3 and GDC that innovation is only coming from the indie scene, and is worried the rising costs of big-budget titles will "stifle innovation".

That "perception" exists because it is largely the reality.

Yup, no sexism in this industry. Nope. No one ever accuses a female of getting where she got by her looks. Nope. No overlooking her pretty massive and impressive resume.

um what does rising costs and indies generally putting out more innovative titles have to do with sexism in the industry? What's that you said? Nothing? Just looking for another white knight opportunity? ahh ok thought so. When the majority of women start taking an interest in creating and playing video games let me know would ya?

Edit: all this bullshit because the comment came from Jade Raymond? so apparently you can't be good looking and have good ideas right? And he calls the rest of us sexist. Go figure.

8. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 14:52 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 13:59:
Prez wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 13:37:
The head of Ubisoft Toronto said that there is a perception at conferences like E3 and GDC that innovation is only coming from the indie scene, and is worried the rising costs of big-budget titles will "stifle innovation".

That "perception" exists because it is largely the reality.

Yup, no sexism in this industry. Nope. No one ever accuses a female of getting where she got by her looks. Nope. No overlooking her pretty massive and impressive resume.

-------------

7. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 14:45 Verno

It is actually possible to be both good looking and talented, I should know Smitten  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo